There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The All-22: Anquan Boldin's full range of intagibles already on display in San Francisco

From Sports Illustrated : http://nfl.si.com/2013/09/12/anquan-boldin-san-francisco-49ers-baltimore-ravens/

Kaepernick's 22-yard pass to Boldin with 13:26 left in the third quarter of the Packers game was another case of Boldin beating coverage with formation diversity on a deep route. This looks a bit like Boldin's deep-right catch in the Super Bowl, without the random element. It was motion to bunch, with Vernon Davis motioning to and back out of the combo, receiver Kyle Williams at the top of the stack and Boldin outside. The interesting thing about this play was that while Davis and Williams each took away one defender with their routes, Boldin hit the zone covered by the cornerback and the safety — and he made the catch anyway. This was an outstanding example of Boldin's most obvious and valuable skill — the ability to be a productive and consistent receiver even when he's covered by two or more defenders. Nobody in the NFL is better at making contested catches. Adding Matthews (in the box) spying Kaepernick, and you have a combo that is just about impossible to defend.

Coaches film for this play.
When I saw the play I thot I saw #81 push off. Not blatant, but it was a push. Don't remember if it was this play because the push was kinda neat....you could barely see it. But he did push off...like a real pro. Anquan has all the tools of the very best WRs ever. True this was just one game...but it was a game we really had to have, and Anquan came up big. You can say this: he surprised the hell out of the Pack. Us too, but them more.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:

After watching that I have no idea why Kap threw it to Boldin and not Patton...
Originally posted by mod:

Me either, but it worked damn well. So I'll trust in Kaep. Patton got nice separation.

Boldin was probably his first read and he felt comfortable with making the throw.

He doesnt make it past his first read
Originally posted by xela510:

He doesnt make it past his first read

Omg wow Alex 2.0 Niners 1-15
Originally posted by Whomeam:

Boldin was probably his first read and he felt comfortable with making the throw.

Bingo. Their rapport is as if they've been playing together for years.

Patton is really open there. We got to start going to him. The only downside to Kaep is he finds his 1 favorite target and latches on massively. Crabtree last year. Boldin this year. He has to start learning how to see the entire field like Brady or Manning.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Patton is really open there. We got to start going to him. The only downside to Kaep is he finds his 1 favorite target and latches on massively. Crabtree last year. Boldin this year. He has to start learning how to see the entire field like Brady or Manning.

I don't know dude, vernon had a pretty nice stat line as well. basically 100 yards and two TD's. after that though... would like him to get more receivers involved, but can't really gripe when he throws for over 400 yards and beats the pack week 1.
[ Edited by DertyDonahue on Sep 13, 2013 at 4:38 AM ]
I was very pleased with his signing, but so far he has totally exceeded my expectations. This guy is a leader. Our young receivers will very likely hugely benefit from playing alongside him. I know it has only been one game, but already I want him back next year.
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by English:
I was very pleased with his signing, but so far he has totally exceeded my expectations. This guy is a leader. Our young receivers will very likely hugely benefit from playing alongside him. I know it has only been one game, but already I want him back next year.

AB has been my favorite non-Niner for years now. i was ecstatic when he was traded to us. he is way underrated and pretty much is the reason we lost the SB last year. i believe he can be productive for 2 or 3 more years on this team and would love to extend him.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

At the time Kap read the play, the safety was biting down on the play, so Patton had three guys around him. Boldin was running a corner with what looked like one guy behind him, but then the safety came back to make it look like much stronger coverage than when the decision to throw was made. Kap made the right decision.
Originally posted by boast:
AB has been my favorite non-Niner for years now. i was ecstatic when he was traded to us. he is way underrated and pretty much is the reason we lost the SB last year. i believe he can be productive for 2 or 3 more years on this team and would love to extend him.

I always thought he was better than Fitzgerald.