There are 85 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Our 2013/2014 Franchise Tag(s)??

With all the concern about some of our future expiring contracts,(who to resign,let go,trade,etc)a few things came to mind......

Ive seen teams over the years have a slew of pending free agents and guys needing extensions,and then miraculously have them all signed by the end of FA.Use the tag on one guy,get him signed,move the tag to another guy,etc.That being said,im wondering a few things...

1.Is the Tag worth using on certain guys??.......Boldin comes to mind if he continues to have a great season.He could be tagged at the end of 2013,but how would that affect Crabtree comin due in 2014 also?We would have 2 WR's due for new contracts at the same time after the 2014 season,ON TOP of who we might want to extend(Kap,Aldon,Iupoti).....Would he be worth paying the amount for that position at that age??....At the end of 2014 we could use it on Crabtree,again if he has a good season and returns to pre-injury form.

2.What players have expiring contracts the next 2 years and would it be worth paying ''Franchise Tag money'' to??some of our future FA's escape me at present time.i know Manningham is due,but he wouldnt be worth the money to me.

3.Does anybody know what the Francise Tag salaries are for our future FA's positions??i know some positions are outrageous like QB,DE,OLB,not sure on others.

4.What type of numbers would,lets say Crabtree next year Boldin this year,have to produce to warrant the tag??80-100+ catches,1100+yds,8+tds??

In other words,is the Tag a viable option to lighten our future burdens and help us retain most of,if not all of,our talent??

(AB,the bat signal is in the air lol)
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Sep 10, 2013 at 6:12 PM ]
I don't think we would tag Boldin. If he is willing to take a reasonable amount (probably a discount compared to FA) then he will be back for another year or two. If not then we will move on. We can't afford the 10.5 or whatever million it is for a franchise tag on a WR. As for 2014 I definitely could see us using it but we will prefer not to. Depending on who we can't re-sign I could see us using it on Crabtree or Iupati but I see Iupati being re-signed before then. We will likely not want to use it as we will have be really close to the cap with all the other guys we have to sign. I believe a franchise tag they have to pay you top 5 at your position and if you do it again the next year it's a 20% increase on the last year's tag you put on them. So with top 5 at your position forget tagging guys like Mannigham after this year. Brown would be the only possible one imo but don't see it happening because it will be all or nothing for him. Doubt we can afford to tag him and we can't afford to extend him unless he gives us a friendly deal and shows he wants to win over getting paid. So short answer don't think we use it after this year and in 2014 possibly Crabtree assuming Iupati, Aldon, Kap, Culliver, Hunter or whoever else we want to re-sign is re-signed.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 10, 2013 at 7:59 PM ]
No reason to tag anyone this offseason.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

+1 Draft corners and WRs high (Marquise Lee anyone?) then use the tag on Aldon in 2 years.
Originally posted by Young2Rice4TD:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

+1 Draft corners and WRs high (Marquise Lee anyone?) then use the tag on Aldon in 2 years.

We'd have to trade up at least about 25 spots for a chance at Lee.
WR should be near $10.5M to $12M in 2015

QB will be around $18M in 2015

OG would be near $8M in 2015

OLB would be near $10M in 2015

Those are estimates. I have a spread sheet full of future salaries for all players, so I can look them up, and see exactly what they would be. But these are guesses for me.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I don't think we would tag Boldin. If he is willing to take a reasonable amount (probably a discount compared to FA) then he will be back for another year or two. If not then we will move on. We can't afford the 10.5 or whatever million it is for a franchise tag on a WR. As for 2014 I definitely could see us using it but we will prefer not to. Depending on who we can't re-sign I could see us using it on Crabtree or Iupati but I see Iupati being re-signed before then. We will likely not want to use it as we will have be really close to the cap with all the other guys we have to sign. I believe a franchise tag they have to pay you top 5 at your position and if you do it again the next year it's a 20% increase on the last year's tag you put on them. So with top 5 at your position forget tagging guys like Mannigham after this year. Brown would be the only possible one imo but don't see it happening because it will be all or nothing for him. Doubt we can afford to tag him and we can't afford to extend him unless he gives us a friendly deal and shows he wants to win over getting paid. So short answer don't think we use it after this year and in 2014 possibly Crabtree assuming Iupati, Aldon, Kap, Culliver, Hunter or whoever else we want to re-sign is re-signed.

so i guess what youre saying is it wouldnt be worth using on,lets say Crabtree,because the amount for that position would be to much??if it counts 10.5M,we would be too close to the cap.got it,thanx doot.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
WR should be near $10.5M to $12M in 2015

QB will be around $18M in 2015

OG would be near $8M in 2015

OLB would be near $10M in 2015

Those are estimates. I have a spread sheet full of future salaries for all players, so I can look them up, and see exactly what they would be. But these are guesses for me.

using the tag for Iupati with jus a 8M hit to me would be worth it,if jus for a lil while to get a new deal worked out.then taking the tag off and his number being lowered in the first year of the new deal might work.carrying the number through a whole season,not so sure,because again,how close would we be up against the cap.thanx once again sir.