There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers worked out jason smith

Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
You have to remember we got Baldwin for Jenkins (in an equal swap) so in effect we still have our first round pick, 31st overall, of 2012, just in the form of Baldwin instead of Jenkins. The jury is still out on Baldwin.

Yep, I know... I have said that in the grade the 2012 draft class thread. Baldwin is essentially our 2012 31st pick now so if we can get something out of him then that pick wasn't a complete waist. Expect him to be on the inactive list for most of these games this year then next offseason we will have him hit it hard and hope he can be much improved for 2014's pre-season and regular season.

Also, keep in mind if Davis or Staley went down Boone would probably play T and Snyder or Kilgore would play RG but with how much we use an extra tackle or use the jumbo our 3rd tackle would be out there a lot. Could be as high as a 3rd round pick next year if they don't think Marquardt or Bykowski is capable of that job. Snyder was out there a bunch as an extra T and him and Kilgore were out there some for the jumbo as well in the GB game.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 10, 2013 at 7:30 PM ]
At least they are being proactive and recognize a potential problem.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thechad49:
If we're looking for a guy to bring at tackle I would sign Vinston Painter from Denver's practice squad.

painter's run blocking doesn't impress me. to me, he doesn't play with a lot of torque. he's fast and well balanced, but i don't see the power to jolt the guy he's engaged with. i may be wrong but it looks like he could use a bigger butt.

if it was up to me, i'd only sign him as a developmental guy backing up ray mcdonald. yes, DT/DE. i think his quickness would show more on defense.
I'd feel better about having him start at tackle if Staley or Davis go down than having Snyder in the starting lineup at T or G.
He could be like Leonard Davis who was terrible in Arizona and then went to Dallas and became a probowler.
  • KK49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I'd feel better about having him start at tackle if Staley or Davis go down than having Snyder in the starting lineup at T or G.
He could be like Leonard Davis who was terrible in Arizona and then went to Dallas and became a probowler.

makes sense , but who will we cut for him ?? Loony to PS???
Originally posted by xcfan:
here's eight practice squad hosses who we can sign. these are big bodies that fit our kind of line--unlike the skinny bykowski and mike person type baalke likes for some reason.
1. marcel jones
2. nick becton
3. terren jones
4. xavier nixon
5. michael bamiro
6 rj dill
7. jj unga
8. jordan devey -- guard only

these are the kind of guys we should be developing--naturally powerful men. signing 1 or 2 of these late rd/udfa hosses every year, one will stick every 2 or 3 years and become a starter or very good backup.

My daughter went to high school with X. Nixon, and he was a highly recruited kid who ended up going to Florida. The kid has potential. He's currently on the Redskins' practice squad, which isn't all that bad for him considering his parents still live here in North Carolina. He would be a good project, but don't we have to add him to the 53 man roster if we sign him away from the Redskins' practice squad?

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
Originally posted by KK49:

makes sense , but who will we cut for him ?? Loony to PS???

TJE, Stupar, or Ventrone.
I wouldn't mind the signing. He was a top prospect for a reason and I think this coaching saff can make him into a solid backup
I guess Baalke will leave no stone unturned to find talented depth for our roster. He definitely had to look under a rock to find Jason Smith.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I wouldn't mind the signing. He was a top prospect for a reason and I think this coaching saff can make him into a solid backup

the saff can for sure
Baylor O-lineman

That scenario is one they would likely want to avoid the most. That's a major line disruption and I'm thinking Harbs would love to just plug in a player at a position without a complete reshuffle of his OL.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

That scenario is one they would likely want to avoid the most. That's a major line disruption and I'm thinking Harbs would love to just plug in a player at a position without a complete reshuffle of his OL.

Exactly. If Staley or Davis go down Smith can take that spot instead of Boone moving to tackle and Snyder playing guard.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
So who goes if we sign this cat?
Originally posted by mayo49:
So who goes if we sign this cat?

Willis.