There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

100% healthy, how much better are the 49ers?

BSofS, according to AB's salary cap #s, and looking into the future, it boils down to Iupati vs signing Crabs...and for probably $10 mil. When it comes to that, it is Iupati all over crabs.
That said, I have a hard time understanding why we are waiting for crabs and Mario to get back when we have Vance, patton and moore. Vance has had a couple balls thrown his way. Moore one, maybe and patton( don't even know if he played.). Before everyone goes nutty on "what if", I would sure like to see what we got in moore , patton, and please, Jim, throw more balls to Vance. Already, Kap has his guys, #1 Anquan, #2 Vernon, and probably kyle #3. To that I would sure like to see a # of passes to moore, patton, Baldwin, and definitely vance. Then when other guys get healthy we see what they have. But with the talent we have and are not using, that is really a shame. I would love to see us open against SEA: Boldin Patton Vance Vernon Baldwin .

Then let SEA hold two of those guys and watch the other 3 come open. Unfortunately we won't see that if Coach doesn't find out now what we have. Hey if one guy is a liability then ok, don't use him. But we don't know hardly anything about the guys that remain from camp, who beat out other good players. Against SEA we better have 5 wide and use them all.
I'm not going to be upset with keeping Crabtree or Iupati, but this teem has had a lot more success developing lineman than we have had receivers.
Oregon, between 2001 and 2008 or 9, we didn't develop any linemen...and that was our problem. Doesn't matter who QB is ....if no OL, no offense. Sure, I like Crabs. But for $10 mil/yr and choosing between him and Iupati...that to me is a no brainer. Keep your OL together. We got a lot of guys in the pipeline, some starting now (Vance) ,and others about to get a chance (moore, patton), and Baldwin. That is a pretty decent stable of up and comers. But we need to know...are they the ones? I hope Coach starts using them all soon. We got a dog in there, ok...get rid of him. But I got a feeling we have some real talent sitting on the bench when they could be spelling the starters.
I really thought Patton and Kaep were clicking in the preseason and would like to see him get at least 15 to 20 snaps a game instead of 4
I think the draft will also have something to say about who gets re-signed. If Baalke sees a strong oline prospect in the 1st or 2nd round, Iupati could be on his way out. And if there's a receiver, i think its Crabs. But i'm almost certain he takes a CB with the first pick. Remember, he has like three picks in the third round next year. He can do a lot.
Iupati is going to be resigned. Bank on it.

I think they'll work Patton and Vance in more and more as the season progresses, grooming them for high level production.

I think Crabs is the odd man out.

Still a long season ahead of us to give it too much thought.
If Crabs were healthy I dont see any defenses in the NFL that could stop us from driving and controlling the ball.
We might be the best team on paper but that doesn't mean we will go 16-0. We were the better team on paper for the SB and we lost that. Even if we were fully healthy we have to do a better job with penalties, playclock and more consistent play calling. Tackling as well but that should get better, could be a fatigue/rust thing. There are things to work on yet. That's if you are including us at 100% in game shape which we weren't against the Packers.
If we were 100 percent healthy, wtf would we do with our roster?

On reserve that would probably make team in my opinion:
  • Tank Carradine
  • Quinton Dial
  • Chris Culliver
  • Eric Wright
  • Marcus Lattimore
  • Mario Manningham
  • Michael Crabtree

What guys would we move to make room for them, or would we cut one of those guys? Who would make the game squad? Great problem to have, but I don't know if I would love or hate to be the guy to make those decisions.
Originally posted by Youngb:
If we were 100 percent healthy, wtf would we do with our roster?

On reserve that would probably make team in my opinion:
  • Tank Carradine
  • Quinton Dial
  • Chris Culliver
  • Eric Wright
  • Marcus Lattimore
  • Mario Manningham
  • Michael Crabtree

What guys would we move to make room for them, or would we cut one of those guys? Who would make the game squad? Great problem to have, but I don't know if I would love or hate to be the guy to make those decisions.

great question, we would have some tough decisions to make, knowing this organization, Baalke would get draft picks for all our scrap parts.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
BSofS, according to AB's salary cap #s, and looking into the future, it boils down to Iupati vs signing Crabs...and for probably $10 mil. When it comes to that, it is Iupati all over crabs.
That said, I have a hard time understanding why we are waiting for crabs and Mario to get back when we have Vance, patton and moore. Vance has had a couple balls thrown his way. Moore one, maybe and patton( don't even know if he played.). Before everyone goes nutty on "what if", I would sure like to see what we got in moore , patton, and please, Jim, throw more balls to Vance. Already, Kap has his guys, #1 Anquan, #2 Vernon, and probably kyle #3. To that I would sure like to see a # of passes to moore, patton, Baldwin, and definitely vance. Then when other guys get healthy we see what they have. But with the talent we have and are not using, that is really a shame. I would love to see us open against SEA: Boldin Patton Vance Vernon Baldwin .

Then let SEA hold two of those guys and watch the other 3 come open. Unfortunately we won't see that if Coach doesn't find out now what we have. Hey if one guy is a liability then ok, don't use him. But we don't know hardly anything about the guys that remain from camp, who beat out other good players. Against SEA we better have 5 wide and use them all.

Agree with pretty much everything you have to say here, not going crazy with the "what if" as you put it, I've found myself pondering this question the last couple weeks and wanted to know what the rest of the WZ thought.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I think they'll work Patton and Vance in more and more as the season progresses, grooming them for high level production.

Crab is gone for sure. He's hurt a lot during his career. He had a terrible attitude coming in. And we got resign Kaep, Iupati and Aldon Smith. We can't keep Crabtree.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Crab is gone for sure. He's hurt a lot during his career. He had a terrible attitude coming in. And we got resign Kaep, Iupati and Aldon Smith. We can't keep Crabtree.

Maybe, maybe not, I agree that out of our big time upcoming FAs (Kaep, Aldon, Iupati & Crabs) that Crabs is the one I think the organization would value the least. However, with that said, Crabs value may not be high enough due to his injury history and lack of burner speed when his time to become a FA rolls around and that may just keep him in SF.
Originally posted by 5280High:
If Crabs were healthy I dont see any defenses in the NFL that could stop us from driving and controlling the ball.

This is the case if crabtree can stay healthy, but if we put any other halfway decent recievers on the field it's going to happen. Crabtree has glass feet and I really don't think anyone should have the desire to build the franchise around him
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Agree with pretty much everything you have to say here, not going crazy with the "what if" as you put it, I've found myself pondering this question the last couple weeks and wanted to know what the rest of the WZ thought.

We'll find out soon enough. Because Patton and Moore play receiver, I wouldn't have expected to see them much. You only get so many opportunities as the third and fourth receiver in this offense. We'll get a better idea midseason and I to am looking forward to seeing all of them used.

At the same time, nothing wrong wondering what if, although I do see the drawback in that, which would be if we did have all those guys, there are guys who may not have gotten an opportunity.