LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 239 users in the forums

The #2 WR Dilemma Discussion Thread And Poll

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The #2 WR Dilemma Discussion Thread And Poll

Anquan Boldin dominated the receiver department with 200 + yards and a touchdown against the Packers. However it exposed an issue as when he left the game for a couple of series, the throws were aimed at Kevin Williams and well................he couldn't fill-in on a short term basis as a 1.

Crabtree nor Manningham will not be available at least next month at the earliest so someone has to step up and be the #2 opposite Boldin

Williams has been penciled in as a 2 but honestly he is a 3 at best.

Moore had a couple of auditions in the 2 slot during the pre-season and I thought he did well.

Patton......................love the kid's speed and size but can he go up against the #1 unit of an opposing defense?

It may start looking like he may turn to Vernon Davis as his #2 option in the short term.

We all know that defenses will focus on those two and attempt to double team them.

Somebody's got to step up and relieve Anquan because once a team shuts down a key receiver (s), the passing game dynamically changes.
[ Edited by robniner on Sep 9, 2013 at 3:01 PM ]
vernon davis was used more in the slot in this game than i could remember. they said int he preseason that they'd use him more like a receiver and they're making good on it so far.

k. williams will be fine as #2. when manningham comes back he takes it i think.
Who is Kevin Williams?
Originally posted by JDTical:
vernon davis was used more in the slot in this game than i could remember. they said int he preseason that they'd use him more like a receiver and they're making good on it so far.

Williams is just not a deep ball threat. Need another tall and athletic guy out there.
VD is the neutralizer, if you guys haven't noticed they line him up every where to create mis-matches, so having a legit #2 is not really that serious, not every team has em.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Who is Kevin Williams?

FIXED.

Thanks

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Kyle Williams should be cut he brings nothing to the table other than being a liability returning punts.
It's gonna be Kyle until someone takes it from him. I think both Patton and Moore would outperform him if given the opportunity, but coach knows best.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by robniner:
Originally posted by JDTical:

Williams is just not a deep ball threat. Need another tall and athletic guy out there.

Exactly, Williams is a slot guy primarily. We need Patton, Moore, Baldwin or Harper to fill that X role.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Sep 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM ]
I think Kyle is going to get bullied by the seacawks...I'd rather he sit out the next game

I think the #2 WR will be determined on a weekly basis. Williams will get the nod against blitzing teams because of his quickness and familiarity with the system. Moore will get the nod against the more physical teams. I predict Moore will get more reps outside than Williams this week. He is bigger and a much better blocker. Patton and Baldwin will probably get a shot against teams with "weaker" defenses to give them a better shot at success. WR is such a confidence position. That's why we see so many "divas" at the position.
Once Crabs becomes healthy, defenses are going to have a nightmare. Manningham will just push them to the limit.
I think this really isn't a concern. Just because boldin had a career day doesn't mean the other recievers are weaker. I don't believe Kaep threw heavily to Boldin because he had to, but rather because he could. Boldin proved early on that he was going to make a statement, and Kaep was more than happy to oblige him. Williams missed the deep ball because kaep overthrew him by quite a bit, and had a pass broken up. Not really a failure.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/174599-boldins-great-performance-overshadow-bigger-problem-receiver-position/

The Seahawks struggle with quicker receivers. Steve Smith was the only one to do anything to them on Sunday -- he had a touchdown. Would like to see us implement something with Patton and Williams. If they can get off the line, the deep routes one on one are the key.

The Seahawks grab, grab, and grab some more if you have speed. Crossing routes with defenders that have the ability to get off the line to go deep to open up things underneath will be key. If you can't get open, Seattle will smother your intermediate and short game while punishing you with big hits as soon as you get the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone