Key Player for Week 2

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by natrone06:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by MSteitz468:
I think it will be Quinton Patton.

This.

I bet he gets 6 snaps lol.

He is sort of the flavor of the month right now. I am curious to see what he can do. Last year we were all clamoring to see James and Jenkins. James delivered and Jenkins didn't. The longer Patton goes without seeing the filed, the worse it will look for him.
justin smith. panthers got a lot of pressure on seattle, and their LG position is weak right now.
Not sure who I pick as key player, but I do believe Roman will be the most important guy this week. As far as the gameplan & getting the plays in with enough time so we aren't wasting timeouts right & left. I will be watching for this early & often to see what tone it will set for the day.
  • thl408
I'll go with not one player, but three: Iupati, Goodwin, Boone. I'd like to get some smash mouth run plays going in order to set up the play action. The 49er WRs are gong to need time to, first, get off the line of scrimmage versus two of the best press CBs in the league, and also to run their routes to get open. The OLine will have to provide extra protection for Kap and the WRs to do that. A good established run game will also control the clock and the crowd.

On D, key players are Justin and Ian. Can they prevent Lynch from getting consistent runs, and can they pressure Wilson up the middle? The Panthers, with their good DTs, did a fine job doing both these things.
Originally posted by JDTical:
justin smith. panthers got a lot of pressure on seattle, and their LG position is weak right now.

Defensively I just want to see them stuff the run. Lynch is really the guy that has hurt us. This defense struggles the most with big backs like Lynch, Stephen Jackson, Adrian Peterson, etc. If we keep the running game in check I like our chances. Wilson is going to be damn good for a long time, but he can still get happy feet if we are rushing withour fear.
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Hunter would have been mine as well especially as a pass receiver and pass protector and runner, obviously.

I really thought he would end up on the PUP. His quick recovery gives me real hope for Crabtree's return. Achilles' tears used to be an 18 month process to get back up to speed. If anything, Hunter looks faster now! No matter who has the ball, I think Roman's key to game planning will be SPACE. Seattle's secondary will not give up those 15+ yard passes. We need to get it out quickly to guys that can make some plays. Since Kaep took over we don't see too many short passes for YAC. Crabtree was brilliant in that role last year, but we need more plays to take advantage of our downfield blocking. If we can get Boone and/or Iupati out in front of Hunter or others, that would be beautiful!

This is a team where our little guys tend to get hurt. Let's face it, Seattle will be allowed to prison-rape our receivers at the LOS, past 5 yards, down the field and even well after the play. We see it every single year. We need big bodies out there giving and taking hits. This is a heavy weight fight. VD, McDonald, Boldin, Baldwin, the OL, Gore, Miller, Hunter (plays much bigger than he is...ran over a Packer yesterday to finish off a run). That said, now that we have enough physical bodies in there, we may be able to sneak out a Patton, Williams, Hunter/Gore, Moore, etc. out of the Q formation or in the slots or on drag routes behind the LBers. Williams REALLY struggled holding the point in blocking assignments yesterday and was getting chucked around at the POC so to me, I'd love to see Baldwin in there as he is an excellent blocker and may have the size to use his body ala Boldin against these inmates.
Originally posted by thl408:
I'll go with not one player, but three: Iupati, Goodwin, Boone. I'd like to get some smash mouth run plays going in order to set up the play action. The 49er WRs are gong to need time to, first, get off the line of scrimmage versus two of the best press CBs in the league, and also to run their routes to get open. The OLine will have to provide extra protection for Kap and the WRs to do that. A good established run game will also control the clock and the crowd.

On D, key players are Justin and Ian. Can they prevent Lynch from getting consistent runs, and can they pressure Wilson up the middle? The Panthers, with their good DTs, did a fine job doing both these things.

Exactly. If we can get movement upfront and chew up ground and time, we will be in great shape.
Whoever the #2 WR is...that guy. Do we see a coming out party for a certain rookie WR?
Hunter would have been mine as well especially as a pass receiver and pass protector and runner, obviously.

I really thought he would end up on the PUP. His quick recovery gives me real hope for Crabtree's return. Achilles' tears used to be an 18 month process to get back up to speed. If anything, Hunter looks faster now! No matter who has the ball, I think Roman's key to game planning will be SPACE. Seattle's secondary will not give up those 15+ yard passes. We need to get it out quickly to guys that can make some plays. Since Kaep took over we don't see too many short passes for YAC. Crabtree was brilliant in that role last year, but we need more plays to take advantage of our downfield blocking. If we can get Boone and/or Iupati out in front of Hunter or others, that would be beautiful!

This is a team where our little guys tend to get hurt. Let's face it, Seattle will be allowed to prison-rape our receivers at the LOS, past 5 yards, down the field and even well after the play. We see it every single year. We need big bodies out there giving and taking hits. This is a heavy weight fight. VD, McDonald, Boldin, Baldwin, the OL, Gore, Miller, Hunter (plays much bigger than he is...ran over a Packer yesterday to finish off a run). That said, now that we have enough physical bodies in there, we may be able to sneak out a Patton, Williams, Hunter/Gore, Moore, etc. out of the Q formation or in the slots or on drag routes behind the LBers. Williams REALLY struggled holding the point in blocking assignments yesterday and was getting chucked around at the POC so to me, I'd love to see Baldwin in there as he is an excellent blocker and may have the size to use his body ala Boldin against these inmates.

It definitely will be defined by physical play. I think Boldin will do a MUCH better job of handling the physicality of the Seattle secondary. Crabtree wasn't ready for it and Moss, Williams, etc. were not strong enough to fight them off. Boldin will take the fight to them. I like the idea of Baldwin getting some time, but I doubt we see him. I think they are bringing him along slowly. I think it's more likely we see Moore playing more. Moore is very physical and he is a VERY good blocker. Williams will see time in the slot. We might see Vernon line up out wide more as well. If we have Boldin and Davis split out wide and bring McDonald and Celek in on the line we should be able to get some good down field blocking as well as threaten the pass.

I don't know if drag routes are the way to go. Chancellor and Thomas will be looking to blow our wide outs up and that might leave them too exposed. I would want to see Williams, Davis, or our backs go in motion and run some wheel routes to spread their linebackers out and keep the edges from collapsing. Now if their safeties want to get in a lick they will have to come out to the sidelines. Use that to soften the middle.

This.

He is sort of the flavor of the month right now. I am curious to see what he can do. Last year we were all clamoring to see James and Jenkins. James delivered and Jenkins didn't. The longer Patton goes without seeing the filed, the worse it will look for him.

I think they are going to showcase Patton this week, with the Hawks D focused on stopping VD and Boldin. Combined with the fact they didn't use Patton very much this week, so they wouldn't be giving away knowledge of their secret weapon before the Hawks game.

Originally posted by jreff22:
Whoever the #2 WR is...that guy. Do we see a coming out party for a certain rookie WR?

I think Moore will get the most reps at "#2". He is bigger and a better blocker downfield. Harbaugh is still pissed off at their corners for pushing our WRs around.

This.

I think they are going to showcase Patton this week, with the Hawks D focused on stopping VD and Boldin. Combined with the fact they didn't use Patton very much this week, so they wouldn't be giving away knowledge of their secret weapon before the Hawks game.

I just don't see that happening. Patton is coming off a limited camp due to a hand injury. He looked good in preseason but this rivalry game will be bloody. These teams HATE each other. You don't want to set Patton up for failure by introducing him to the regular season by asking him to "debut" against what is probably the best secondary in the NFL. Baptism by fire can be effective, but I just don't see it...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Exactly, why not, then of course you slide Williams or Moore inside at the slot I think Kaepernick could expose the depth of their secondary.

Seattle will see a DIFFERENT Kaepernick than what they saw in week 16. I could give a ton of excuses why Kaepernick and the offense sputtered that day, but now, with a whole new receiving core and a major confidence booster from last week, Kaepernick will be guns blazing this time. No doubt Kaepernick will be thinking of last year week 16, hes got something for them I'm sure he won't hesitate to run this score up, Harbaugh too.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Exactly, why not, then of course you slide Williams or Moore inside at the slot I think Kaepernick could expose the depth of their secondary.

Seattle will see a DIFFERENT Kaepernick than what they saw in week 16. I could give a ton of excuses why Kaepernick and the offense sputtered that day, but now, with a whole new receiving core and a major confidence booster from last week, Kaepernick will be guns blazing this time. No doubt Kaepernick will be thinking of last year week 16, hes got something for them I'm sure he won't hesitate to run this score up, Harbaugh too.

They were unprepared for that game last year. This time they will be prepared. You know Boldin will be doubled, probalby Davis as well. I think the X-factors of this game will be Gore and Mcdonald. Seattle won't be able to blitz because Kaep will just find Boldin or Davis. One things for sure though, the defence cannot miss tackles like they did against the Packers.
Key player for me is Justin Smith. We missed him badly last game.
Share 49ersWebzone