LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Just a bit of a CONCERN...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Watching the game (vs Green Bay), I think it's best if we keep Carlos Rogers OUT of being a nickel back.. We need to find someone else who can man that position.. He needs to move back to the outside as a CB because he can't cover those slot receivers...

This is the same reason why we can't handle the Giants receivers.. Manning and the coaching staff would always put Victor on the slot and he'll have a field day against Rogers.
I thought he played slot For most of game against Cobb and didnt do to bad.
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Sep 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM ]
I am more worried about Asomugha than Rogers.
Most quick/slot-types are bad matchups for Rogers, which is why I'm not totally clear on how he got that role in the first place or why he's still there. Nnamdi should be fine, though likely not good enough to bring back next year.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
I am more worried about Asomugha than Rogers.

Not worried about either player. FYI A. Rodgers is pretty good. Also, there isn't a receiver on that team that doesn't beat up good CB's on a regular basis. I shouldn't have said anything. I forgot that you either have to already be in the hall of fame or you're garbage around here.
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Sep 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Most quick/slot-types are bad matchups for Rogers, which is why I'm not totally clear on how he got that role in the first place or why he's still there. Nnamdi should be fine, though likely not good enough to bring back next year.

Aside from jordy Nelson. The dbs did pretty good.

The last pass to Cobb was a 38 yard throw when everyone was playing not to get beat deep and let them have underneath. That catch put him up over 100 yards
Originally posted by ads_2006:

Aside from jordy Nelson. The dbs did pretty good.

The last pass to Cobb was a 38 yard throw when everyone was playing not to get beat deep and let them have underneath. That catch put him up over 100 yards

Not just this game (in which Cobb mostly got the better of him when matched up), I mean in other games where Rogers specifically is mostly trailing a slot WR after a completion. Don't get me wrong, those are tough matchups (Cobb, Welker, Amendola, etc.) so it's not like he has to be perfect. But you rarely see him making plays on the ball and usually is the guy giving up key first downs. Maybe it's just a function of the position, I don't know, but I tend to remember Culliver being much more effective in the slot than Rogers has been.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Sep 9, 2013 at 3:40 PM ]
Not just this game (in which Cobb mostly got the better of him when matched up), I mean in other games where Rogers specifically is mostly trailing a slot WR after a completion. Don't get me wrong, those are tough matchups (Cobb, Welker, Amendola, etc.) so it's not like he has to be perfect. But you rarely see him making plays on the ball and usually is the guy giving up key first downs. Maybe it's just a function of the position, I don't know, but I tend to remember Culliver being much more effective in the slot than Rogers has been.

I don't feel safe with rogers OR whitner, ever. they both get beat at the worst possible times and I'd like to see them replaced next year.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Watching the game (vs Green Bay), I think it's best if we keep Carlos Rogers OUT of being a nickel back.. We need to find someone else who can man that position.. He needs to move back to the outside as a CB because he can't cover those slot receivers...

This is the same reason why we can't handle the Giants receivers.. Manning and the coaching staff would always put Victor on the slot and he'll have a field day against Rogers.

not that CONCERNED
Share 49ersWebzone