There are 549 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Game 1 Assessment:

  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,242
i think i will stop debating NC about any good thing whitner did. his will power and passion on the issue is greater than mine! i give up plus he has a point. unless whitner just really costs us we are probably stuck with him. dahl is a respectable back up at both spots plus a very fine special teams person which is nice but a starter is not his role.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i think i will stop debating NC about any good thing whitner did. his will power and passion on the issue is greater than mine! i give up plus he has a point. unless whitner just really costs us we are probably stuck with him. dahl is a respectable back up at both spots plus a very fine special teams person which is nice but a starter is not his role.

Hahahahaha! Nah, I love the dude...wish he'd shut his trap more in the media and just play. It's not his fault he's short and was used in our scheme to cover much taller TE's and large slot WR's like Boldin over the years. Seriously. I think pushing him back 10 yards behind the action may work better and allow him to play more down hill; keep everything in front of him. Then you can drop him in the box more if we need more support in the run game. He will make a play here and there. Fangio just has to be smarter in how he uses him and schemes him, and like Reid already, the other 10 guys around him. He's a liability in coverage. Period!. So let's see how he does in this new scheme going forward (assuming the Packers game is standard).
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 9, 2013 at 5:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Karma:
I am loving the post game threads. I feel like these are filled with more insightful analysis than any other thread(s).

Yep, these post game threads with Marvin, Ncommand and the entire gang are the best 49ers threads on the site. You will see a ton of insightful info. Much better than the game day thread which is a lot of snap judgements and overreactions. It helps when a lot of us rewatch the game so we have a better idea of what happened.

NCommand, excellent post. You touched on pretty much everything you could for this game. Great effort!
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 9, 2013 at 6:04 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Karma:
I am loving the post game threads. I feel like these are filled with more insightful analysis than any other thread(s).

Yep, these post game threads with Marvin, Ncommand and the entire gang are the best 49ers threads on the site. You will see a ton of insightful info. Much better than the game day thread which is a lot of snap judgements and overreactions. It helps when a lot of us rewatch the game so we have a better idea of what happened.

NCommand, excellent post. You touched on pretty much everything you could for this game. Great effort!

Thank you guys so much...truly my pleasure!
Phil Barber ‏@Skinny_Post3h
RT @klynch49: Nnamdi played way off on Nelson's TD catch. Not sure why >> Told me he played to help, GB ran the one play that took away help



So looks like it was the defensive call and it basically put Nnamdi in a no win situation. He had tight coverage all game except like the OP stated when he was asked to play 10-15 yards off. That was obviously what Fangio wanted at that point of time, but it would have been better if he played press coverage. Rodgers tried attacking him quite a bit on the sidelines, but Nnamdi was blanketing his guy.
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Phil Barber ‏@Skinny_Post3h
RT @klynch49: Nnamdi played way off on Nelson's TD catch. Not sure why >> Told me he played to help, GB ran the one play that took away help



So looks like it was the defensive call and it basically put Nnamdi in a no win situation. He had tight coverage all game except like the OP stated when he was asked to play 10-15 yards off. That was obviously what Fangio wanted at that point of time, but it would have been better if he played press coverage. Rodgers tried attacking him quite a bit on the sidelines, but Nnamdi was blanketing his guy.

Thank you...good validation for a common trend I've been noting about Fangio and his schemes for a while now:
  • Playing his CB's way off esp. on 3rd downs (not playing to our strengths to say the least)
  • Technique issues - if you ARE going to give huge cushions, the CB needs to keep the WR in front of him with his eyes in the backfield and on the play; to knock down a pass, break on the ball for an INT, etc. We don't do that. We play follow-the-WR and often times end up trailing the WR as a result and don't get our heads turned around; we wait until the WR makes a motion that the ball is arriving and try to play it then putting us at a disadvantage. This also leads to P.I. call b/c we don't get our heads turned around.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Anyone watching the Eagle's spread offense right now? The RG taps on the C's leg when the QB (Vick) is ready to receive the shot gun snap. This may be effective up in Seattle where it will be deafening.

We did that last year in Seattle.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Anyone watching the Eagle's spread offense right now? The RG taps on the C's leg when the QB (Vick) is ready to receive the shot gun snap. This may be effective up in Seattle where it will be deafening.

We did that last year in Seattle.

We did that last year? I didn't even notice that...thank you. I'll be watching this w/e to see if we do the same.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Anyone watching the Eagle's spread offense right now? The RG taps on the C's leg when the QB (Vick) is ready to receive the shot gun snap. This may be effective up in Seattle where it will be deafening.

More then likely Kap will stay the signaler for our C given so much of our offense is motion related, it would be hard for the guard to know when Colin is done reading the defense, much more likely we stick with the Qb handrop or leg method, imo.

I think Vick signals to the RG that he's ready and then the RG taps the C so he doesn't have to bob his head, keep his head on a swivel, etc. Smart.


We used this system in Atlanta in the NFC championship game last year, if you go back and watch you can see it :)

I think we'll use it again this week in Seattle. Edit: Doh - replied before reading end of thread.
[ Edited by Buchy on Sep 10, 2013 at 7:58 AM ]
  • Karma
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 760
Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Anyone watching the Eagle's spread offense right now? The RG taps on the C's leg when the QB (Vick) is ready to receive the shot gun snap. This may be effective up in Seattle where it will be deafening.

More then likely Kap will stay the signaler for our C given so much of our offense is motion related, it would be hard for the guard to know when Colin is done reading the defense, much more likely we stick with the Qb handrop or leg method, imo.

I think Vick signals to the RG that he's ready and then the RG taps the C so he doesn't have to bob his head, keep his head on a swivel, etc. Smart.


We used this system in Atlanta in the NFC championship game last year, if you go back and watch you can see it :)

I think we'll use it again this week in Seattle. Edit: Doh - replied before reading end of thread.

If Harbaugh's reign has had one major flaw it has been getting the play called in time on a regular basis so the offense can be in sync for the snap. This is particularly noticeable in hostile environments. It's been said before, but that has to change Sunday. I wonder if hand signal audibles would be more effective. I'm sure there is a way to do it without tipping the play...
Post game analysis, bring Boldins agent in to meet Mr. Baalke. Please add in two more years. that is all I ask.

thx
Thanks NCommand, Miller is the 2013 version of Rathman, watch him become more involved in the passing game.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Very true, but Rodgers will always get his passing yards so you can pretty much bake in ~300 for the game. I just don't know if there's a good way to stop AR, just like teams are finding out that there's really no good way to stop Kap. You have to hope you can win the turnover battle and make some key defensive stops here and there.

Overall though, great write up!


I think the only team that can really flummox Rodgers are the Bears, and maybe the Vikings at home due to being in the division.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Thanks NCommand, Miller is the 2013 version of Rathman, watch him become more involved in the passing game.

He is just awesome...so unnoticed. I love how he chip blocks in pass protection and then continues on his route to block in the run or pass game in the open field. This dude is a stud. People, take a minute and just watch him...those passes CK are making esp. out of the pocket on the edges? That little "chip" buys just enough time for CK to set his feet and pass. If he doesn't make these chips, CK is sacked. He has been trained well.
Originally posted by Buchy:
We used this system in Atlanta in the NFC championship game last year, if you go back and watch you can see it :)

I think we'll use it again this week in Seattle. Edit: Doh - replied before reading end of thread.

You see, you learn something new every day. I don't even know how I missed this. Thanks gents.