There are 400 users in the forums

Game 1 Assessment:

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Overall assessment:

The curse of #81 is no more.

almost reared its head doe when anquan got his ankles rolled up on
Originally posted by natrone06:
Nc watch the Jordy Nelson td again. I actually think that is on whitner not Nnamdi. Unfortunately I don't know the defensive call but I think whitner got fooled into leaving his zone.

Oh please, please don't get me started on Whitner's coverage in the RZ...please! I have no DOUBT you are probably right w/o even looking at that TD again.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The biggest takeaway from this game is that Harbaugh has built a team that can beat its opponents in so many different ways which is exactly the type of team Walsh built in the 80's. If you took away the run game, they would beat you through the air...if you shut Montana down, they would beat you on the ground with Craig. We could blow you out 35-7 or beat you in a close defensive struggle 14-10, and even more importantly, we could come back to win late in the game because of our balls-of-steel QB. And when you tried to come back against us late in the game, our defense rose to the occasion more often than not to shut you down. We had young studs everywhere, a few budding superstars and just enough crusty veterans to keep everyone in check.

Call me crazy, this particular team has a lot of those characteristics

No, you're reaching. Please do not compare this team to the Walsh years. We have a ways to go. Very different mentality in the booth. Very different experience levels managing offense. This will continue to be an issue for us. Boldin can't save us every week.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Marvin's got some competition. Another great write up, NC!

Was thinking the same thing lol!
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The biggest takeaway from this game is that Harbaugh has built a team that can beat its opponents in so many different ways which is exactly the type of team Walsh built in the 80's. If you took away the run game, they would beat you through the air...if you shut Montana down, they would beat you on the ground with Craig. We could blow you out 35-7 or beat you in a close defensive struggle 14-10, and even more importantly, we could come back to win late in the game because of our balls-of-steel QB. And when you tried to come back against us late in the game, our defense rose to the occasion more often than not to shut you down. We had young studs everywhere, a few budding superstars and just enough crusty veterans to keep everyone in check.

Call me crazy, this particular team has a lot of those characteristics

No, you're reaching. Please do not compare this team to the Walsh years. We have a ways to go. Very different mentality in the booth. Very different experience levels managing offense. This will continue to be an issue for us. Boldin can't save us every week.

I said they have a lot of the same characteristics. Time will tell if they truly compare, but that's not really my point. Boldin wasn't on this team last year and they still made it to within 5 yards of a title, so it's not like everything rests on Anquan's shoulders. Not to mention, Boldin hadn't played this well in years; it's not like he's been putting up 13 catch/208 yard performances every game. Clearly Kap and the offensive game plan had something to do with his explosive day yesterday.

But my bigger point is that this is a very diverse team (with or without Boldin) with an offense and a defense that can dominate and a QB that is becoming very hard to stop. They can beat you in many different ways on offense (run game, read-option, passing attack) and can either shut down your run game on defense or pressure your QB with their front 7. Teams like this are very hard to beat for the simple fact that you can't game plan for everything. But more importantly, they have a QB that is a fierce competitor (like Joe and Steve) and when you have that, it can cover many of your deficiencies. Something tells me that if we wouldn't have acquired Boldin, Kap would've found other guys throw to given how much time he had in the pocket and still would've pulled this game out. They might not have individually had the kind of game Anquan did, but they would've still gotten the job done.

So my comparison wasn't at all about accomplishments because that story has yet to be written; I mean the way the team is structured. I'll also note that it took Walsh 3 years to build a championship caliber team, and even that team had a lot of warts. It wasn't until year 5+ did the dynasty become apparent.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Sep 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM ]
Loved it, NC! I knew this would be worth clicking, and you didn't disappoint.
Originally posted by Team49ers:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Marvin's got some competition. Another great write up, NC!

Was thinking the same thing lol!

Oh, much love for Marvin. This isn't a competition on any level. If you missed the game, put our two assessments together (along with others and all the comments) and you'll have a pretty comprehensive view of how the game went: good, bad and everything in between! Go Niners!
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Loved it, NC! I knew this would be worth clicking, and you didn't disappoint.

Yeah, the after-game assessments are my favorite...many other great topics spin off from them. I'm glad I didn't disappoint!
NC, no better than anyone would expect from you, but great job, bud.

GOFD I have had similar thots, but definitely after this GB game. And the loss last yr was not the players, it was the coaching calls...or rather, lack of coaching calls..Really, I have looked at those last 4 plays until I was bleary eyed, and the only thing I come up with, is coaching error. In simple terms, JH had gotten us to the NFCC, the SB, and when the money was on the table, he had no idea of what to call nor what to do. Hell we ended up with one unspent T.O. And roman gets equal blame. I don't dwell on it much, because Coach H is one of my heroes. But he did cost us the SB and the NFCC( he didn't pay attn. to Coughlin telling his PR not to touch the ball unless to fair catch it in the wind, mud, and rain...JH didn't notice that and didn't tell his PRs not to touch the ball. ) Two things simple like that and we lose two games we very well could have won. But I love my coach and cannot do anything but admire the way he brought this team together and brought in really great new talent.

Bet your bottom dollar this yr, in the playoffs Coach H has an answer to both those situations.

NC, if I had one real weak spot to pick on it would once again be the not getting play in on time resulting in:
a)delay of game penalty
b) motion penalty
c) having to call a T.O.

Seemingly, roman called two plays each series, and both got screwed up with delays, motions, or T.O.s. Then third play goes for a first down...or 3 and out. Whew, he just has to do better, and changing plays in SEA is NOT one of them. Maybe you got a better idea, but no way we should change play in SEA, except have bailout TE or RB on each play if play doesn't work. But for changing plays up there? Impossible.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
NC, no better than anyone would expect from you, but great job, bud.

NC, if I had one real weak spot to pick on it would once again be the not getting play in on time resulting in:
a)delay of game penalty
b) motion penalty
c) having to call a T.O.

Seemingly, roman called two plays each series, and both got screwed up with delays, motions, or T.O.s. Then third play goes for a first down...or 3 and out. Whew, he just has to do better, and changing plays in SEA is NOT one of them. Maybe you got a better idea, but no way we should change play in SEA, except have bailout TE or RB on each play if play doesn't work. But for changing plays up there? Impossible.

Thank you kind sir. I think your point is very valid. Why? B/c there were a few times I clearly saw a play that was going to work and we never got to go through w/ it b/c of a last-second TO called or penalty. One play was Hunter and he was PISSED. You could see he was very upset as he was probably the primary target on that play and it didn't happen. And we had the mismatch. Isn't this how we lost the Superbowl? Instead of CK running it in on the first play, we take a last second TO and don't come back to that play. Game over. I think as fans, we need to watch this more closely. Marvin and others bring up possible intentions...but like you stated, there are times it seems to bite us in the azz.

Anyone watching the Eagle's spread offense right now? The RG taps on the C's leg when the QB (Vick) is ready to receive the shot gun snap. This may be effective up in Seattle where it will be deafening.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Anyone watching the Eagle's spread offense right now? The RG taps on the C's leg when the QB (Vick) is ready to receive the shot gun snap. This may be effective up in Seattle where it will be deafening.

More then likely Kap will stay the signaler for our C given so much of our offense is motion related, it would be hard for the guard to know when Colin is done reading the defense, much more likely we stick with the Qb handrop or leg method, imo.
[ Edited by nvchamp9ers on Sep 9, 2013 at 4:55 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Oh please, please don't get me started on Whitner's coverage in the RZ...please! I have no DOUBT you are probably right w/o even looking at that TD again.
on the other hand he did sort of redeem himself when he prevented the packer wide out from getting out of bounds late,, that was a good veteran play.. However i know and understand the whitner worries , I hope that does not really kill us this year and am sure we can do better next year
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:

More then likely Kap will stay the signaler for our C given so much of our offense is motion related, it would be hard for the guard to know when Colin is done reading the defense, much more likely we stick with the Qb handrop or leg method, imo.

I think Vick signals to the RG that he's ready and then the RG taps the C so he doesn't have to bob his head, keep his head on a swivel, etc. Smart.
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:

Totally, luckily he was able to carry the TE out of bounds...if that wasn't on the sideline though, oy voy. Haha. Like I said though, it seems like he is now playing deep center field and Reid is being used underneath him and being used as the playmaker. He was everywhere yesterday!
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone