LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 131 users in the forums

Do we have the weakest Home Field in the league??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we have the weakest Home Field in the league??

Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by Buchy:
I think it's the acoustics of a baseball stadium, I am pretty sure the Levi Stadium (hate that name) will be louder as it will be designed to reflect noise back onto the field.
Can you elaborate on this? I've never heard that mentioned before. I mean, I know that one of the attributes that makes Century Link so loud is what you described, but I've never heard the same thing described about Levi Stadium.

Levi's will have the largest lower bowl in the NFL = most fans closest to the field (like a college stadium)

Projected noise accoustics (green = directly onto field; blue = reflected noise off glass facade of suite tower) :

...caveat is both factors will be dependant on how loud the fans get-- if the demographics of the likely revamped/updated STH's (i.e, there'll be more Silicon Valley/South Bay fans) is anything like that for Sharks hockey game = GOOD chance it'll be loud and improved homefield advantage over the Stick

if its more a yuppie, corporate crowd and a lot of diehard fans are priced out doe..
I've heard Candle stick be the loudest atmosphere I've ever heard live (Vernon Davis the Catch 3) .

And I've seen it as the p***y of all crowds more than usual.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by Buchy:
I think it's the acoustics of a baseball stadium, I am pretty sure the Levi Stadium (hate that name) will be louder as it will be designed to reflect noise back onto the field.
Can you elaborate on this? I've never heard that mentioned before. I mean, I know that one of the attributes that makes Century Link so loud is what you described, but I've never heard the same thing described about Levi Stadium.

Levi's will have the largest lower bowl in the NFL = most fans closest to the field (like a college stadium)

Projected noise accoustics (green = directly onto field; blue = reflected noise off glass facade of suite tower) :

...caveat is both factors will be dependant on how loud the fans get-- if the demographics of the likely revamped/updated STH's (i.e, there'll be more Silicon Valley/South Bay fans) is anything like that for Sharks hockey game = GOOD chance it'll be loud and improved homefield advantage over the Stick

if its more a yuppie, corporate crowd and a lot of diehard fans are priced out doe..
Awesome, thanks for the post!

Where is that screenshot from? Did you make it? Is there an article that goes along with it?
also, 49ers sideline will be on the western (shaded as afternoon goes along) side beneath the suite tower...visitor team will be on the east with sun in their eyes and surrounded by hostile fans and feeling the full reverb of noise off the glass tower (ostensibly)
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Sep 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM ]
The NO playoff game is the only time that Candlestick sounded properly and consistently (i. e. the whole game) loud to me in the 7 years I've been coming over from England to attend games in person. Comparing with places I've seen us play away, only St Louis is more pathetically quiet (ok, and Wembley, but the problem there is that the crowd is passionate for 32 teams and not particularly for the two that are playing). On Sunday we got loud only in the first defensive series, and after we came back in the fourth and the D was trying to hold the lead. Halfway through the 3rd quarter when they drove to take the lead, the place was like a library.
The Jags have the worst home field in football... 100% fact!
As far back as I can remember as a niner fan since '92, the 49ers were known as a team with not quite much of a strong home field advantage presence.
Originally posted by ninersoul:
As far back as I can remember as a niner fan since '92, the 49ers were known as a team with not quite much of a strong home field advantage presence.

i hope that changes with new fans and a new stadium. I was rewatching the SB and when the niners were coming back in the game and were on defense, the camera panned through the niner crowd and only 35 percent of them were making noise. The others had their hands folded and what not.....

Giants fans were one of the worst in the candle stick days. Now, they're considered one of the best.
Originally posted by 49er4life:
The Jags have the worst home field in football... 100% fact!

No doubt on this. There was a pic of their stadium during 4th Qtr vs KC and it looked like a zombie apocalypse. Also IMO worse HF advantages than us are SD, Buffalo, probably Carolina and Tampa.
PLEASE DO NOT BE SO PATHETIC you want to compete with Seattle for a noise trophy.

SF crowds tend to be pretty intelligent and our teams are legendary.

Not concerned about the noise factor.

Originally posted by monsterzero789:
certain teams travel well: pretty much all of the NFC East teams, Packers, Bears come to mind that have strong presence at ANY stadium not just ours

Dallas, NYG, Packers, and Bears fans have huge national followings. Packers and Bears fans that are transplants with those awful midwestern accents annoy me to pieces. Ever see a 49ers vs Bears game at the Stick a few years back? You'll know what I am talking about precisely. Yeah but nothing is worse than a Bay Area born and bred Dallas Cowboys fan. I think they only exist to be total morons.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
And I srsly doubt that sf is a hardcore sports town

More baseball than football.

I saw the transition from a football town to a baseball town in the mid 2000s.

Sf is a very good baseball town and perhaps a good basketball town....only time will tell with the basketball

That transition started around 2005-06. Pac Bell has been sold out consistently for at least 13 years now. Yeah but I hear ya with the idea of the city becoming a football town. I love the 49ers to death, and I am right in the heart of Baltimore City. Their fans always tell me we suck as a sports city. I end up reminding them to go back to being Redskins fans.
Originally posted by NYVAGIANTSSUCK:
Dallas, NYG, Packers, and Bears fans have huge national followings. Packers and Bears fans that are transplants with those awful midwestern accents annoy me to pieces. Ever see a 49ers vs Bears game at the Stick a few years back? You'll know what I am talking about precisely. Yeah but nothing is worse than a Bay Area born and bred Dallas Cowboys fan. I think they only exist to be total morons.

The Giants of old...'80s mostly with some early '00s team playing at Giants stadium got pretty loud.

Lately, not so much, according to their fans.
Originally posted by NYVAGIANTSSUCK:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
certain teams travel well: pretty much all of the NFC East teams, Packers, Bears come to mind that have strong presence at ANY stadium not just ours

Bears game the cutler pick fest was the most I ever seen opposing jerseys. So many bears fans.
Maybe we need to make more noise on offense so this team can start getting plays in on time. With that said the crowd has been great the last few games I've been to at the stick. It just doesn't sound loud on tv.

Talbert
Share 49ersWebzone