LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 315 users in the forums

2013 - Week 1: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
wonder if we will see the lemon man a bit vs seattle? i know its early and smith is fresh and frisky but was a bit surprised he did not get any snaps on defense. maybe because there was no margin for error in that game and did not want the kid to make a mistake ? probably not but still was hoping to see him a few times on defense

Lemonier is gonna be really good, so hopefully he does get some playing time soon.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GORO:
wonder if we will see the lemon man a bit vs seattle? i know its early and smith is fresh and frisky but was a bit surprised he did not get any snaps on defense. maybe because there was no margin for error in that game and did not want the kid to make a mistake ? probably not but still was hoping to see him a few times on defense

Lemonier is gonna be really good, so hopefully he does get some playing time soon.
maybe they are just being very selective about how and when he is used. maybe put him in when it is a situation where he can do no harm thus building some self confidence or maybe if the game is out of reach. somewhere down the line we do have to see him because we do know that aldon and brooks need to be fresh for the playoffs if we get there
I was pretty satisfied with Whitner in this game he had a few good heads up plays preventing disasters, the big one being the reception that would have been in bounds had he not grabbed and thrown finley out of bounds before his feet touched the ground.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I was pretty satisfied with Whitner in this game he had a few good heads up plays preventing disasters, the big one being the reception that would have been in bounds had he not grabbed and thrown finley out of bounds before his feet touched the ground.

lordy, i hope NCcommand does not see this wolf is right of course. had he stayed in bounds we may very well be having a different type of conversation today

He had a nice game. That was a great play on Finley. Also made a huge play at the end of the game stopping Cobb from getting out of bounds and stopping the clock. Rodgers would have had enough time to take a few shots into the endzone if not for that tackle.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
good god,, of course i was trying to say,, had he gotten out of bounds,, jesus
I think the only reason we ran the ball was to keep the balance honest. They could hardly stop Kaep/Boldin/Vernon.

one of my fav defensive plays of the game
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I think the only reason we ran the ball was to keep the balance honest. They could hardly stop Kaep/Boldin/Vernon.

i was always a believer with "try to stop it before we do something else". i think thats why we went to boldin the entire game they couldn't stop it
Originally posted by SofaKing:

He had a nice game. That was a great play on Finley. Also made a huge play at the end of the game stopping Cobb from getting out of bounds and stopping the clock. Rodgers would have had enough time to take a few shots into the endzone if not for that tackle.

Oh come on! The TE towered over him and made the catch...and was traveling out of bounds anyways. Highly unlikely he comes down inbounds with both feet. The other play he made was a blown coverage by either him or Rogers to begin with. Another posted thought it was his inside assignment on the easy TD, not Nnamdi. Not sure about that though but it is his M.O. If he makes a play I will highlight it for sure!

lordy, i hope NCcommand does not see this wolf is right of course. had he stayed in bounds we may very well be having a different type of conversation today

Hehe!
Originally posted by NCommand:

Oh come on! The TE towered over him and made the catch...and was traveling out of bounds anyways. Highly unlikely he comes down inbounds with both feet. The other play he made was a blown coverage by either him or Rogers to begin with. Another posted thought it was his inside assignment on the easy TD, not Nnamdi. Not sure about that though but it is his M.O. If he makes a play I will highlight it for sure!

Hahaha I was waiting for your response NCommand. Give the dude a little credit will ya!
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by natrone06:
Originally posted by Psinex:
Hey Marvin,

What do you think about Kaepernick ignoring his receiving options underneath? On one play, I saw Kaepernick scrambling away from the rush with Frank Gore running wide open down the middle. Gore shrugged in the middle of his route. On the pass to Bruce Miller, he went through every single progression before it looked like he dumped off a pass to Miller as if he had nothing better to do. He seems to be repulsed by the idea of throwing underneath.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionary/nfl/checkdown.aspx

No kidding. But Kaepernick ignores his outlet passes and underneath routes to the point where he's almost greedy for long plays. If he took more underneath routes, he would eat up more clock and extend drives. With Kaepernick, it seems like it's either feast or famine. Yesterday, everything worked out well because our passing game tore up Green Bay's secondary, but let's not fool ourselves. Several of their key starters were out, and they were playing undermanned.

Against a better defense like Seattle, Kaepernick's most likely not going to throw for 400 yards. If our running game can't get going, we are going to be in big trouble. We will need shorter completions to get down field with the occasional long strike. Balance is the key.

Wow, talk about nitpicking. This is after a performance where Kap threw for over 400 yards, had 3 TD passes, no interceptions, a passer rating of 130, and a 10.5 YPA average. And you're complaining because you don't think he's checking down quickly enough? He checked down when he had to and a couple of those plays resulted in big gains. Kap just takes what the defense gives him, and he did a pretty good job of that yesterday. Of course he's not going to be perfect, but that was what I would consider a pretty outstanding performance. But all of a sudden we want nothing short of absolute perfection from our QB?

My issues with Kaepernick's style of play originate well in advance of yesterday's game. If you go back to last season, Kaepernick had very much the same approach. Look as far downfield as possible while it seems like he almost completely ignores what is developing underneath. On what would have been a pretty big gain with Frank Gore, had Kaepernick gotten the ball to him on time, he could have gashed his way for a good 20 yards. Same goes for the dump off pass to Bruce Miller. He waits an eternity before dumping off the ball to an outlet/checkdown receiver. If you get it to them quick, they'll have enough time to get RAC. Kaepernick often waits too long, and by the time he dumps the ball off, the defenders have the play contained.

I see the game with Green Bay as an anomaly, since their defense was one of the worst in the league last year in yards and points surrendered. We could be in for a violent wake-up call next week if they try to live on the deep pass. While Bruce Irvin and Clemons are still out, possibly Avril as well, Seattle will probably put on more consistent pressure, along with the effect of the 12th Retard. The Seattle secondary could put some hard hits on Boldin if we go pass crazy. I want to see much more of a commitment to the running game and take the pressure off Kaepernick to throw it, exposing himself in the pocket.

While a quick strike down field could help take the 12th Retard out of the game, it could also result a back-breaking turnover that dooms us to a repeat of last year's game. While I consider a lot of the failure to be attributed to Kaepernick's virgin experience coupled with Greg Roman's bone-headed strategy in Seattle, I am concerned that they might go up there with a similar plan. As we like to say in business and different walks of life, K.I.S.S. keep it simple, stupid. In this case, it might be changed to keep it simple in Seattle, stupid. Otherwise the 12th Retard could get the best of us.
Hahaha I was waiting for your response NCommand. Give the dude a little credit will ya!

You got it buddy...give me a minute.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i was kind of h oping i would not see things today about the only reason ck did well was because the packers have a poor defense. we heard this last year and the year before with who our quarterback was. i just think that is silly to throw cold water on a big win over one of the top three teams in the nfc and maybe three or four in the nfl. the niners are not going to "llive" on the deep pass. the niners will not live on anything, they will itch where it scratches and take what is given to them while always trying to impose their will with the best o line in the game. the above poster was critical of a dump off to miller. good lord, i think that was a great play,, just when you think you got vernon and boldin locked down, you gotta worry about miller and gore out of the back field. i am sorry but i just can not see how one can put a negative spin on that. miller i think got some very nice yards after the catch on his two receptions. i just see it different than the Psinex
Share 49ersWebzone