LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

2013 - Week 1: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Marvin or whoever...

1. Vance McDonald didn't have a ton of stats but the catch that he made reminded me of Brent Jones. He just found a spot in the secondary and sat. That's something Vernon can't do because someone is always watching him and he's not that type of TE. It was fun to see...

2. I think Nmandi is ok. Nobody is going to play perfect and there were other guys that made mistakes as well. I was most upset with the missed tackles by everyone and the stupid penalties that would keep the packers drive alive. Kaep has got to look up at the playclock more and Aldon needs to look at the ball and not guess on the snap count.

3. Oline looked awesome. Yesterday we decided to go pass heavy but I think in other games we will still go back to the run. We are different than the Broncos to where we can actually choose to run or pass because we are dominate at both. The broncos, packers, saints, etc... can't really run the ball so they have to be pass heavy.

4. Reid looked good. Like you said before the season, he will make his mistakes but so did Goldson. Reid has a ton of upside.

5. I thought Aldon and Justin were being held on every other play yesterday. We should have had more sacks or QB pressures but the flags weren't thrown. It's good to know that the DLine is looking good though.
Good points Marvin. I've seen you posting on other teams message boards and it's nice to see a 49ers fan that isn't being a troll or a blind homer.

I'm looking forward to seeing Kap play in Seattle with the insane crowd noise and their legitimately good defense. IMO that will be the most difficult game of the year for the 49ers to put points on the board.
Moore was open in the middle on the late hit play. Not sure how Kap missed that.
Originally posted by Eugene88:
Good points Marvin. I've seen you posting on other teams message boards and it's nice to see a 49ers fan that isn't being a troll or a blind homer.

I'm looking forward to seeing Kap play in Seattle with the insane crowd noise and their legitimately good defense. IMO that will be the most difficult game of the year for the 49ers to put points on the board.

We moved the ball on them just fine last season. We just have to avoid the turnovers.
Originally posted by socalniner:
Moore was open in the middle on the late hit play. Not sure how Kap missed that.

He was probably staring down Boldin.
Hey Marvin....

I saw this on another post but I didn't see you mention so ill ask now... How did our middling DC Fangio do???

I only caught the first half. GB will score points on anyone so end results are ok to me. But someone else wrote about lack of adjustments defensively, which I have been screaming about for two years now.... Did we adjust? Did we show defensive variety? Or did we play our usual defense and then look kinda porous at strange times?

With our talent, we should be a swarming defense showing variety of fronts and blitz from all angles. When we don't do this, teams with good QBs kill us with short, quick hitting routes. Just wanted to see other people's takes on that.

I personally hate Fangio. No imagination. I can run a decent defense with those players
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Good stuff Marvin, and your presence and postings on the Seadderall .Nut boards are appreciated

Giedi
  • buck
  • Veteran
11. I would add a negative with the penalties. We had 11 penalties for 85 yards. I find this to be a major ongoing problem.
Great breakdown thanks!

I'm curious how everyone feels about the lack of traditional runs? Even on the drive where the main goal was killing the clock, I didnt see any run formation/run plays. It appears they left it off the gameplan this week and a win is a win, but I'd like to see a drive or two where we let the O-line get after it. Greenbay's interior line did a great job of stuffing the interior runs and runs out of the pistol, but I'd like still like to see some 1 WR, 2TE, FB, RB formations with plays attacking the edges.

Another detail i noticed was the O-line tipping their hand on pull run plays by lining up further back. Need to clean up the details, but team looks rock solid.
Marvin, it was your average summary...FANTASTIC which we have all grown to expect.

Here are a few more observations.

Penalty? I could see six flags that could have been thrown, but basically Staley did what all good LTs do, he went in and let Hawk know, NO MORE. Staley found him and punched him. Wasn't smart, but necessary. Also, notice that the flagrant foul was a clothes line job, right around the neck? I actually think it gave a shot in the arm to the 49ers , and they played even better after that. No way staley should have been penalized. If so, then so should 5 other guys. That was b.s., and league agrees now.

Nnamdi, agree that he looked bad..and then good. Maybe he was rusty and needs some coaching up after not being coached up at his last stop.

cc's point as to UGLY T.O.s...this was awful and looked like midseason last yr. Was mangini in roman's ear and ended up delaying play call? If so, this isn't going to work. Cripes, calling 3 T.O.s because we aren't set with the call? That is atrocious.

Kap's audibles....either plays came in too late, I know he couldn't hear them at one period of time, but then when he gets to the line, it is too late to change. Hence the delay of game penalties, the motion penalties, etc. We would have been better served just calling the play given to him and going from there. Either that or always have one RB or HB, as outlet pass if things go to schidt.

No huddle...just killed us. We are still not ready for that. Everyone of those, or most anyway, was a good play for yardage. We HAVE to work on that... badly

Noise...Last yr in SEA, Kap was completely stumped by that. I would suggest hand signals when we go up there.

Agree with Bluesboro ...really minimize audible and playcalling. When Kap did that we had first two plays go south, then on 3rd play a first down. Crazy. All that would have been helped with a RB, maybe a TE, who was left to be outlet valve.

Agree, 1st half tackling awful, but it did get better. 11 penalties, a good many from playclock, illegal formation, or motion. ASO was attacked 7 or 8 times. Reid, who had a bad 1st qtr , played well after that. Finally, we were 50% on 3rd down conversions, 9 of 18 (or 19), which was a stunner.

Jacklegniner, agree that Vance made a nice catch, good movement to get open ,and I hope gets targeted more. He has a great future, but roman and kap need to remember he is out there. Anquan got open a bunch by pushing off early in his route, and that is how he got open so often. It wasn't enough to get called, but he was always open...or so it seemed. He can catch anything, anywhere however,, and yet, he never showed off his sideline 3rd down jumpball catch. on the yrd marker. Wait til SEA sees that one.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Hey Marvin....

I saw this on another post but I didn't see you mention so ill ask now... How did our middling DC Fangio do???

I only caught the first half. GB will score points on anyone so end results are ok to me. But someone else wrote about lack of adjustments defensively, which I have been screaming about for two years now.... Did we adjust? Did we show defensive variety? Or did we play our usual defense and then look kinda porous at strange times?

With our talent, we should be a swarming defense showing variety of fronts and blitz from all angles. When we don't do this, teams with good QBs kill us with short, quick hitting routes. Just wanted to see other people's takes on that.

I personally hate Fangio. No imagination. I can run a decent defense with those players

49ers had 5 three and outs on Sunday only team with more was KC with 7 and that was against Jacksonville.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Hey Marvin....

49ers had 5 three and outs on Sunday only team with more was KC with 7 and that was against Jacksonville.

The Niners would have forced them into 2 and outs... without a turnover.
One additional point. The pass rush. I am a little concerned that we could not generate a consistent pass rush this game. I definitely thought we would get to Rodgers more often than we did, especially considering their problems with the offensive line.
Marvin, your analysis is spot on. I created a similar thread last night because I was so excited about the game. I love how post game analysis threads tend to bring out the best in the Zone! (At least after a win)
Originally posted by Jcool:
Hey Marvin....

To be fair KC wrapped that game up quick
Share 49ersWebzone