There are 149 users in the forums

2013 - Week 1: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by verb1der:
I'm not no expert, but from what I understand is when it comes to return coverage you have to look at it like it's a running play. You have to seal the edge so everyone has to stay in their lanes. They all can't just run directly towards the returner otherwise you would give him an angle.

The real culprit #51, he was supposed to flank Anthony Dixon's right side which would seal the hole, that in turn would push Tate's to return to his left side where everyone else is waiting.

If you notice all the 49ers on the right hand side, they all stay in their respective lanes including #41 who was expecting Tate to run to towards him, but since #51 took himself out of his lane, Tate cut back inside, allowing a huge gain.

Does that strategy account for another player being blocked? I mean, you can't just ignore the guy with the ball.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I'm not no expert, but from what I understand is when it comes to return coverage you have to look at it like it's a running play. You have to seal the edge so everyone has to stay in their lanes. They all can't just run directly towards the returner otherwise you would give him an angle.

The real culprit #51, he was supposed to flank Anthony Dixon's right side which would seal the hole, that in turn would push Tate's to return to his left side where everyone else is waiting.

If you notice all the 49ers on the right hand side, they all stay in their respective lanes including #41 who was expecting Tate to run to towards him, but since #51 took himself out of his lane, Tate cut back inside, allowing a huge gain.

Does that strategy account for another player being blocked? I mean, you can't just ignore the guy with the ball.

I guess to a certain degree you can try and cover two lanes but sometimes all it takes is a slight crease, and when u got a fast returner, you're screwed.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
No wonder why we allow big returns That was scary to watch

It looks like he mistook the ref for the return man!?

Yeah looks like it. Pathetic indeed.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
No wonder why we allow big returns That was scary to watch

It looks like he mistook the ref for the return man!?

OH MY GOD I THINK YOU'RE RIGHT!!!!

edit- ok maybe not, because he is running straight at Tate initially....but man does it look like he was running to the ref. It just seems like he over committed.

but yeah verb1der, I can see what you mean as well.

also Dixon got down there pretty fast.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 19, 2013 at 12:35 AM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
who is #41???? just looked it up Raymond Ventrone... WTF?

I'm just now watching the Coaches film view of the game and oh my f'n god.. some around here always throw around the word "special teams ACE" for some players that we do decide to keep over other players who are good at their positions.

on the very first punt, this guy just looks lost running down the field and just gives Tate a huge.... actually you know let me just create a gif...

I mean, aren't his teammates that on the right responsible from Tate going to the outside.... and this Ventrone guy is suppose to hold his section and not over commit.. or am I wrong about special teams.

If you notice all the 49ers on the right hand side, they all stay in their respective lnes including #41 who was expecting Tate to run to towards him, but since #51 took himself out of his lane, Tate cut back inside, allowing a huge gain.

Thanks man. You basically just explained the fundamentals of ST to me.
Run the no huddle.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Thanks man. You basically just explained the fundamentals of ST to me.

Np!
Share 49ersWebzone