There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 1: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

In regards to the PFF grades, I like the site but sometimes their grades make no sense whatsoever.

Kap had a 3.0 grade as a passer against GB. In comparison, Carson Palmer scored a 7.0 against STL..........

No way Palmer's performance was more than TWICE as good as Kap's. He wasn't better at all. Whether you watch the game or look at the stat sheet, Kap was better.

I don't know what they're looking at sometimes.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:

3) The "bad call": National Media just STOP. Much ado about nothing. This one is so freakin easy to rip apart it isn't even funny. YES, they screwed up enforcing the call. Boo-hoo. They ALSO messed up flagging Staley to begin with and messed up by not ejecting Clay Matthews when he threw 2 punches. Bottom line is that the Niners got a do-over on a 3rd and 6 when they in fact SHOULD have had 1st and goal. B***h all you want Packer fans, but the reality is that the Niners got shafted in that exchange, not the Packers. Hell...this whole thing happened because Clay tackled Kaep SIX YARDS out of bounds. Kinda hallow to b***h about an offsetting penalty when it was all started by a clearly dirty play to begin with. The 49ers just made it a moot point because they scored a TD on that 3rd and 6. Moreover, the Packers lost by SIX. Not by 4. Clay should ALSO have been flagged for taunting later in the game after tackling Kaep for a loss and that would ALSO have given the 49ers a 1st and goal. They didn't seem to have too much trouble pulling out the flag on Bowman on the Packer sideline.
Man Marvin... I am so thankful you made this point... I've been saying this since both of those plays happened and I haven't heard anyone in the national or local media really speak about it. The taunting of Kaep after the sack was so blatant that it was ridiculous. If I didn't know better, I'd say that the refs were trying to keep this game close.
Finally, for a "tough" guy, Matthews is pretty damn cowardly. To hit the QB 5 yards out of bounds is just dirty...no other way to put it... If I were on the NFL committee that hands out fines and suspensions, I would lay on a nice 3-5 gamer on that little pr**k. Thanks again for pointing it out so clearly.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Sep 11, 2013 at 12:19 AM ]
The first thing I thought about after we got Boldin (besides the fact that he's an excellent receiver) was him laying some monster blocks when Kap scrambles. Late in the game Kap runs for a first down and Boldin absolutely destroyed packer DB Jarrett Bush. I love this guy on my team.
Originally posted by KegBert:
Re-watching the game something that stood out to me was how much GB's oline was holding. They held early and often, all game. They did get some holding penalties but they got away with a lot.

You.....are correct, sir! Yet more evidence that the Niners are getting the short end of the stick with the officiating. For even more evidence, see Super Bowl...

P.S. To all of you non-Zoners, it ain't whining if it is true... Now, go back into your hole...
Originally posted by TheSHOGUNofHarlem:
Originally posted by kronik:
After re-watching the game, the more I realize Nnamdi sucks. He plays like a dear in front of headlights.... the same look I noticed at Philly. I rather take my chances with Brock or even Daryl Morris. Damn I miss Cully

Dude... I was thinking the same thing around the 3rd and 4th quarters. He looked lost at times. The heck happened to that guy? Hope he can pick it up, because we're gonna need him to slit throats next week.

And at other times he looked like he was in the WR's jersey. I mean, damn, what DB (on either side) didn't look lost at times yesterday? Certainly not Rodgers and Brown. Nnamdi was killing them with the press.
Great stuff again Marving The Great!

On Nnamdi....

9ers don't play press coverage much and it is counter to the talents of Nnamdi. Their DB scheme is extremely effective, but I think they should let Nnamdi get closer in so he can do his thing. Just enough so he disrupts but not too much he gets burned.

No one got burned on the outside and I think that is the game plan.

So if they are trying to fit him to that why not just make a minor adjustment for him.?
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Great stuff again Marving The Great!

On Nnamdi....

9ers don't play press coverage much and it is counter to the talents of Nnamdi. Their DB scheme is extremely effective, but I think they should let Nnamdi get closer in so he can do his thing. Just enough so he disrupts but not too much he gets burned.

No one got burned on the outside and I think that is the game plan.

So if they are trying to fit him to that why not just make a minor adjustment for him.?

Agreed. I actually think Rogers does better in press as well (not as quick/fast as he used to be)...Brown can play off better; his only issue is keeping the WR in front of him and keeping an eye in the backfield; getting his head turned around. Hopefully Fangio picks up on these strengths. He used to play the #3 in Culliver, tight, aggressive and physical. Unfortunately for him, he's not a big name so would get called for quite a few P.I.'s. Nnamdi? He may be able to be played the same way but get those veteran calls.
I liked the fact that they used Aldon and even Brooks as DT's on obvious passing downs, though mostly in a 2 point stance.
When they did this they used Justin as a DE, maybe Mcdonald too.
They seemed to get good push and pressure. Wouldve liked to see Lemonier some on the outside in these instances tho.
I watched the game again last night and the penalty they called on Bowman was b******t on the packer sideline. Also the Packers were trying very hard to be tough guys they were talking smack after every play. Also as great as Kap did play he did miss some passes, nobody is perfect I guess.
there are a lot of fat b*****ds on the packers d-line
Hey Marv,

IYO, how did Dorsey and Ian play?
Spillman being Spillman!!!!
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
You.....are correct, sir! Yet more evidence that the Niners are getting the short end of the stick with the officiating. For even more evidence, see Super Bowl...

P.S. To all of you non-Zoners, it ain't whining if it is true... Now, go back into your hole...

26 year Niner fan and semi frequent "Zoner"

Yea brotha...its whining.

We lost...its over...deal with it. The excuses sound like Seahawks fans did when they cried endlessly about losing to Pittsburgh...meanwhile forgetting that they couldn't run the ball and their receivers had a terrible time getting open. We had the ball inside the 10 4 times and gave it to Frank Gore none of those downs. That's our fault...not the refs.

We'll be back this year...no fret
Watched the game again on NFL Replay. The Packers played about as well as they could and the 49ers didn't. LOTS of missed tackles in the first half, some that led to yard gobbling plays and some that sustained drives that otherwise would have petered out. Meanwhile, the 49ers were up 14-7 and Davis drops a long pass that could have led to a TD. In the second half, up 21-14, a drop by McDonald that would have sustained a drive. One overthrow and one overthrow to Williams that could have resulted in TDs. A missed field goal. Lousy penalty on Bowman that helped a Packers drive. Crazy long catch on the sideline by Jordy Nelson that was low probability.

Clean it up and they win by two touchdowns easy. That said, I'm just happy with the win.