There are 96 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 1: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerDan:
I just rewatched the game and had a few observations.
- Green Bay looked like they had our run calls. They were already sending guys in the running lanes but they seemed to have extra bush and pursuit on the runs. I don't know if we have a tell but I don't think Green Bays front seven is really that good.

I noted this in my thread as well: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/174616-game-1-assessment/

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Marvin,

First off thank you for these threads I always look forward to them. I was completely off the grid up until a few hours ago, so it was particularly useful this week to catch me up. I'm waiting for my final flight back from my honeymoon (Maldives, which is amazing btw!).

Feels great to get a win, and to have our QB not miss a beat with his 'number 1 WR' out. It's also great to see Boldin and Reid making very positive impressions. Obviously I'm a little disappointed with the Hawks win, but overall great way to come back from the void!!

What was the general consensus of V. McDonald an Patton?

What's the concern level for our pass defense? Was it just playing Rodgers or is there a carry-over from last postseason?

And lastly, how did Dawson perform? Can we finally start trusting out kicker again?

Keep up the good work and it should be a heated week over on the .Net!

McDonald had one good play and a slightly frustrating drop. He was wide open for a first down on the drop and they ended up punting 2 plays later.

Patton didn't play much or at all. I don't remember seeing him.

I think the pass defense was really about Rodgers being really freakin good. Some of the passes were indefensable.

Dawson pushed on wide from 48, but hit on the second one. To early to tell but I'm not worried.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Marvin,

First off thank you for these threads I always look forward to them. I was completely off the grid up until a few hours ago, so it was particularly useful this week to catch me up. I'm waiting for my final flight back from my honeymoon (Maldives, which is amazing btw!).

Feels great to get a win, and to have our QB not miss a beat with his 'number 1 WR' out. It's also great to see Boldin and Reid making very positive impressions. Obviously I'm a little disappointed with the Hawks win, but overall great way to come back from the void!!

What's the concern level for our pass defense? Was it just playing Rodgers or is there a carry-over from last postseason?

And lastly, how did Dawson perform? Can we finally start trusting out kicker again?

McDonald had one good play and a slightly frustrating drop. He was wide open for a first down on the drop and they ended up punting 2 plays later.

I think the pass defense was really about Rodgers being really freakin good. Some of the passes were indefensable.

Dawson pushed on wide from 48, but hit on the second one. To early to tell but I'm not worried.

Patton was in the game, he put in a good block on one of Hunter's runs in the 4th quarter iirc.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Marvin,

Thanks for the info... Obviously we are going to need more production from our #2 WR... And Patton looks the part.

And maybe I'm jaded, but I really hope poor kicking doesn't damn us
I believe from what I have read in reports Patton played 4 snaps. I also believe all this bs about becoming a throw first team is simply that bs, Harbaugh Roman and Kaepernick did exactly what you do when a team is extremely focused on stopping the run like the Packers were, you pass, this I believe is the first step in becoming the balanced team we wanted to be, just because we passed more in this game doesn't mean we adopted a Drew Brees pass pass pass offense, it means we adapted to the defense Green Bay threw at us and attacked the holes they left in the secondary by dedicating so many men to stopping the run. Balance wins games, just like in the game against Seattle Im going to guess because of the stats against the Pack there going to do alot to prevent the passing game, and sacrifice alot of holes that Gore Hunter and possibly Kap are going to make them regret.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I believe from what I have read in reports Patton played 4 snaps. I also believe all this bs about becoming a throw first team is simply that bs, Harbaugh Roman and Kaepernick did exactly what you do when a team is extremely focused on stopping the run like the Packers were, you pass, this I believe is the first step in becoming the balanced team we wanted to be, just because we passed more in this game doesn't mean we adopted a Drew Brees pass pass pass offense, it means we adapted to the defense Green Bay threw at us and attacked the holes they left in the secondary by dedicating so many men to stopping the run. Balance wins games, just like in the game against Seattle Im going to guess because of the stats against the Pack there going to do alot to prevent the passing game, and sacrifice alot of holes that Gore Hunter and possibly Kap are going to make them regret.

Maybe we should have built the new stadium on Galapagos instead of Santa Clara.
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
Maybe we should have built the new stadium on Galapagos instead of Santa Clara.

Balance is great, now teams have to pick there poison when they play us, and just hope the football gods are on there side that day.
Does anyone know last time we had a 400 yard passer and a 200 yard receiver, been a loooooong time since we've seen those kinds of stats here in SF, not since Garcia/T.O. days.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Does anyone know last time we had a 400 yard passer and a 200 yard receiver, been a loooooong time since we've seen those kinds of stats here in SF, not since Garcia/T.O. days.

Tim Rattay 2004 against the Cardinals Eric Johnson collected 163 of the receiving yards.
[ Edited by LoneWolf on Sep 10, 2013 at 7:35 PM ]

Good question... Rattay was last 400 yard passer at 417 in 04 in that OT win vs the Cards but looks like most yards was Eric Johnson at 162. P.S. Rattay threw 57 times to get 417, Kap did it in 39.

Anyways, before Rattay Garcia did it in Dec 17, 2000 against the Bears and Owens had 283 yards on 20 catches. It was Rice's last home game as a 49er. So hasn't been done in nearly 13 years.

Found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_quarterbacks_who_have_passed_for_400_or_more_yards_in_a_game

Montana 7 times, Young 3 times and Garcia 2 times. Have to keep in mind back in 80s and 90s you could harass the WRs as much as you wanted so was harder back then. Manning did it 11, Brees 12 and Marino 15.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 10, 2013 at 7:47 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Good question... Rattay was last 400 yard passer at 417 in 04 in that OT win vs the Cards but looks like most yards was Eric Johnson at 162. P.S. Rattay threw 57 times to get 417, Kap did it in 39.

Anyways, before Rattay Garcia did it in Dec 17, 2000 against the Bears and Owens had 283 yards on 20 catches. It was Rice's last home game as a 49er. So hasn't been done in nearly 13 years.

Found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_quarterbacks_who_have_passed_for_400_or_more_yards_in_a_game

Montana 7 times, Young 3 times and Garcia 2 times. Have to keep in mind back in 80s and 90s you could harass the WRs as much as you wanted so was harder back then. Manning did it 11, Brees 12 and Marino 15.

Yeah just looked that up too. It's sure feels nice to have a big time NFL offense again.
Probably as good of a place as any to put this. PFF's player ratings for offense and defense
Thanks for sharing Disp. Really nobody on there that bad. I don't think -2 is that much at all. When you're -4 to -7 then that's a bad game. Just can't expect to have everybody in the positive. Also, seems like they are a little too harsh with penalties. a -1 to -1.5 for a 10-15 yard penalty? Nearly wipes out an entire day of good blocking.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Psinex:
You say that the Niners are a run-first offense. That may have been true at one point, but as you said, they have been evolving. Since last year, I've been cognizant of the fact that Kaepernick looks down field. He looks downfield so much that he seems to ignore what's happening less than 10 yards in front of him. We have guys who excel at making plays happen on short initial gains. Put the ball in the hands of those guys like Kendall Hunter, Frank Gore, LaMichael James. It killed me to see Frank Gore running down the middle wide open and Kaepernick looking elsewhere. Roll out screens, slants, etc. West Coast Offense, you know? YAC on high percentage passes.

Seattle is going to be gunning for turnovers. They will want to shock and awe from the get go. The pass-happy game plan that worked on the Packers is not likely to work for the Seahawks. It's going to be a very physical beat-up type of game, as always. Seattle is going to be looking for big hits on Boldin and Vernon Davis. Kaep has to be careful not to try and force it to them. He needs to distribute has passes to other receivers. He has to be willing to hand off the ball and take more conservative gains when the opportunities are there. Nobody wants to see a repeat of Kaepernick's meltdown in the Pacific Northwest. We've all had a lot of time to think about that game, and taking care of the ball is numero uno. Early turnovers will be a killer.

Ok, enough for one day.

I think we're going to have to take what Seattle gives. Establishing the run is a sound strategy. Its safe as it keeps the ball out of the Seattle secondary. I'm not saying avoid the secondary but by establishing the run we both accent the olines strength and highlight Seattles weakness; the front 7. However Seattle is going to crowd the line. Their CBS will feel confidant in man coverage. I don't want Roman to play into Carols hands. If we can start stretching the field and picking up large chunks of yards.through the air early against Seattle we have the best chance of winning. I really don't think prolonged.drives are smart. Like you said Seattle will try force turnovers. If we turn the ball over on a 6min plus.drive we could possibly be playing catch up by.halftime, and that's a game I don't want play that game against Seattle. I think Roman should go directly at Seattles secondary early. We should try to get Davis, Boldin, and McDonald involved asap. They should also activate.Baldwin because he has the size to beat press man which would be useful. I agree though about using Hunter,Gore, and Miller on some quick underneath routes.
I highly, highly recommend rewatching the Boldin catch and skirmish at 3:00 in the 4th in slow motion. The Team not only pulls AB out of a penalty, but protects and dominates the situation as well.