There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 - Week 1: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Originally posted by LoneWolf:
So Kap didn't throw for enough short passes? WTF

Look at it like this....

We all know LMJ is a tool to be used in space where he can move. When he's back and on the field, Kap needs to be aware that looking for the home run might not mean a 30 yard pass. Giving certain guys the chance to work in space on a short pass can be dangerous to a D. Crabs is another example. Hitting him underneath and letting him do work is desired.

Is it a nitpick? Yes. But it's a great tool for eating yards and tends to be a higher percentage pass.
Originally posted by kronik:
After re-watching the game, the more I realize Nnamdi sucks. He plays like a dear in front of headlights.... the same look I noticed at Philly. I rather take my chances with Brock or even Daryl Morris. Damn I miss Cully

Dude... I was thinking the same thing around the 3rd and 4th quarters. He looked lost at times. The heck happened to that guy? Hope he can pick it up, because we're gonna need him to slit throats next week.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
way to go, CC, tell it like it is. I find it amusing to hear folks didn't like Kap's dump off to miller. What? Where have they been the last 36 yrs? Joe did it, Steve did it, now kap does it and ...Hell all the great Qbs had dump off plays, Favre, Marino, Joe Namath, Tom Brady, Eli, Peyton, Brees, Aaron Rodgers for heavens sakes... to mention but a few. So before criticizing kap for a terrific play, maybe you might want to rethink that statement.

You got the wrong idea. People want to see MORE passes underneath like the one to Bruce Miller.
What bothers me is that Miller was open...open...still open...and then Kaep finally passed to him. He did the same thing to Frank Gore,
When he was wide open underneath. I would like to see Kaep hit them in stride instead of getting the ball to them when they are parked
on the spot, waiting all day for Kaep to get them the ball.

It's because he's looking down field for a bigger play. "Kap" doesn't stand for "Kaptain checkdown", that title belongs to someone else.

Also, those seemingly wide open players in the flat are not always as open as they look. I am so glad we are through with the days of the 2-3 yard pocket pass.
Marvin

Excellent summary as usual. Thanks for the write up.

Pasodoc - I'm okay with audibles, I'm just not okay with how much time it takes to get the initial play in. Kaep will need time to see the opposing D and ensure the proper play is called. Harbaugh and Roman need to do what they've suggested in today's rags, condense the number of available plays from the playbook. If an adjustment at the half is needed, go with that. Kap doesn't get the O set until he has 7 or 6 seconds left and then must read the D and communicate an audible if necessary - not enough time.

Kyle Williams

I'm sorry but I've just seen enough of Kyle Williams and I think other receivers need chances at this point. Patton and Moore deserve to get on the field and show what they can do at the 2nd/3rd receiving option (Boldin being 1 and Davis being 2). Williams was a snore and because he didn't play at all during the pre-season it shows. Sure he looks fast and quick, but he's not clutch. We need guys who are going to catch the ball and make smart plays as much as they can. Even his last catch which could have easily been called an incompletion was just poor technique. I know it was low but Williams always seem to make the easy route/catch seem so difficult. Just my observation.

McDonald

More please. I would love to see more of McDonald. I think he would be brilliant and help the team a lot. Huge mismatch down the middle of the field. He's bigger than any safety and most MLBs.

Defense

Again, I'm just curious about Fangio's scheme. The decided to attack the 49er offense the way Minnesota had done early last season; don't try to make your tackles hold too long (even though they were holding too much), make short throws and force your superior WR get YAC. WCO 101. Fangio had no answer. Part of the problem? Allowing the WRs such a huge cushion where they could fake deep, but then cut the route off for a short catch and run. This tells me that for whatever reason Donnatel and Fangio are still deathly afraid that someone will breakdown and give up the big play. That says a lot to me in the faith this crew has in the secondary. Could it be that Cully's loss was MUCH bigger than we thought? Here's hoping Eric Wright can bring something to the mix soon. Overall, I thought the defensive gameplan was very vanilla. I know they don't like to blitz Rogers, but after it was clear the Smiths were going to be held without penalty, you have to turn up the heat a bit - at least more often that was done.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Sep 9, 2013 at 11:43 PM ]
I'm glad that it's finally settled. K A P.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
way to go, CC, tell it like it is. I find it amusing to hear folks didn't like Kap's dump off to miller. What? Where have they been the last 36 yrs? Joe did it, Steve did it, now kap does it and ...Hell all the great Qbs had dump off plays, Favre, Marino, Joe Namath, Tom Brady, Eli, Peyton, Brees, Aaron Rodgers for heavens sakes... to mention but a few. So before criticizing kap for a terrific play, maybe you might want to rethink that statement.

You got the wrong idea. People want to see MORE passes underneath like the one to Bruce Miller.
What bothers me is that Miller was open...open...still open...and then Kaep finally passed to him. He did the same thing to Frank Gore,
When he was wide open underneath. I would like to see Kaep hit them in stride instead of getting the ball to them when they are parked
on the spot, waiting all day for Kaep to get them the ball.

It's because he's looking down field for a bigger play. "Kap" doesn't stand for "Kaptain checkdown", that title belongs to someone else.

Also, those seemingly wide open players in the flat are not always as open as they look. I am so glad we are through with the days of the 2-3 yard pocket pass.

I understood the criticism on the chemistry of the deep passes to KW but improper execution of check downs? The guy completed nearly 70% of his passes and averaged over 10 yards a pass. He didn't suffer much "opportunity loss" by looking a little longer for the deep options. Was not anywhere near enough of an issue to tarnish the day he had.
We need a 3rd option for a WR , Williams is useless , Moore will disappear like he did Sunday and at home lets try the rook , sign Hawkins and git rid of Williams for PR/KR
[ Edited by cNiner on Sep 10, 2013 at 12:31 AM ]
...And in addition to Kaep's short passing game, I want to see a stronger commitment to the non-QB running game. The Niners have excellent running backs that can take the heat off Kaep and set up the play action. Keep defenses honest. Eat up clock, keep the ball away, wear out defenses till you start busting longer and longer runs in the second half. They did a good job with time of possession yesterday, about a 17 minute edge. A lot of positives. But it all goes out the window when they travel up to Seattle next weekend.

I've never engaged in a conversation with you before Psinex so don't take this the wrong way. This entire statement doesn't make any sense to me. You talk about wanting to see a stronger commitment to the run game, and then reference this game like that power running style is exclusive to it. I mean the Niner offense is essentially a run first offense. Romans game plans have esentially revolved around dominating the line of scrim, and forcing the.defense into mistakes and fatigue. How much more of commitment are you looking for?

Also you have to acknowledge that this niners offense is evolving, and it would be foolish to commit to something at the cost of stifling the development of our young wrs, tes, and qb. This is why Im so adament to resign Crab. Mdonald, Crab, Vernon, Mario, KW catching passes from Kaep could turn into a viciously potent offense. I love our ability to control the tempo with the running game but I could get used to Kaep throwing it 40 times a game for 400 yards, 30 rushing, and 3 tds.

Anyways what a great game! Great write-ups by Nc and Marv. You guys always know exactly what I want to hear.
Double post.
[ Edited by eonblue on Sep 10, 2013 at 1:10 AM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
...And in addition to Kaep's short passing game, I want to see a stronger commitment to the non-QB running game. The Niners have excellent running backs that can take the heat off Kaep and set up the play action. Keep defenses honest. Eat up clock, keep the ball away, wear out defenses till you start busting longer and longer runs in the second half. They did a good job with time of possession yesterday, about a 17 minute edge. A lot of positives. But it all goes out the window when they travel up to Seattle next weekend.

I've never engaged in a conversation with you before Psinex so don't take this the wrong way. This entire statement doesn't make any sense to me. You talk about wanting to see a stronger commitment to the run game, and then reference this game like that power running style is exclusive to it. I mean the Niner offense is essentially a run first offense. Romans game plans have esentially revolved around dominating the line of scrim, and forcing the.defense into mistakes and fatigue. How much more of commitment are you looking for?

Also you have to acknowledge that this niners offense is evolving, and it would be foolish to commit to something at the cost of stifling the development of our young wrs, tes, and qb. This is why Im so adament to resign Crab. Mdonald, Crab, Vernon, Mario, KW catching passes from Kaep could turn into a viciously potent offense. I love our ability to control the tempo with the running game but I could get used to Kaep throwing it 40 times a game for 400 yards, 30 rushing, and 3 tds.

Anyways what a great game! Great write-ups by Nc and Marv. You guys always know exactly what I want to hear.

You say that the Niners are a run-first offense. That may have been true at one point, but as you said, they have been evolving. Since last year, I've been cognizant of the fact that Kaepernick looks down field. He looks downfield so much that he seems to ignore what's happening less than 10 yards in front of him. We have guys who excel at making plays happen on short initial gains. Put the ball in the hands of those guys like Kendall Hunter, Frank Gore, LaMichael James. It killed me to see Frank Gore running down the middle wide open and Kaepernick looking elsewhere. Roll out screens, slants, etc. West Coast Offense, you know? YAC on high percentage passes.

Seattle is going to be gunning for turnovers. They will want to shock and awe from the get go. The pass-happy game plan that worked on the Packers is not likely to work for the Seahawks. It's going to be a very physical beat-up type of game, as always. Seattle is going to be looking for big hits on Boldin and Vernon Davis. Kaep has to be careful not to try and force it to them. He needs to distribute has passes to other receivers. He has to be willing to hand off the ball and take more conservative gains when the opportunities are there. Nobody wants to see a repeat of Kaepernick's meltdown in the Pacific Northwest. We've all had a lot of time to think about that game, and taking care of the ball is numero uno. Early turnovers will be a killer.

Ok, enough for one day.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Criticizes Alex Smith, calling him Captain Checkdown for years

Now criticizes Colin Kaepernick for not checking down.

49erswebzone: Where no one knows what they want.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cNiner:
We need a 3rd option for a WR , Williams is useless , Moore will disappear like he did Sunday and at home lets try the rook , sign Hawkins and git rid of Williams for PR/KR

I'd like to play Baldwin at the X and rotate Patton, Moore and Harper at the slot. We need someone with some size and speed opposite Boldin and I think Baldwin can be that guy.
Was waiting for your thread before posting my views, rewatched the game again last night and here are the things that stick out to me:

1) Kap is brilliant and was very poised and calm yesterday. He made the right deceision almost every time, though execution of some passes wasn't what he would want (the McDonald one). I don't hold him responsible for the 2 throws to Kyle Williams, a good receiver would have adjusted and made those catches, Williams kept blazing on his routes. Anyway, Kap was right into the mix on the sideline hit between Staley and Clay trying to get the team out so we maintained the penalty advantage. He was there again after the 4&2 completion to Boldin where GB players were trying to draw a foul after the completion by holding him down. Kap got him out without him getting penalised (Boldin was really fired up) and moved us on. In short, incredibly cool head and he's thinking of the win and game result and is cool enough to ignore the jive talking rubbish. My only possible critique is that pass to McDonald that was too low and resulted in a drop and then a three and out. We had some momentum in the game at that point and I think if Kaep had put the pass a bit higher up we'd have gone down the field for another score.

2) Eric Reid is going to be a star. He should be credited for 2 interceptions because if he hadn't made that second one in the end zone on the free play then GB would have been credited with another score. He missed one tackle but was otherwise excellent.

3) GB taking Tolzien on obviously had a real impact. I think it caused confusion on the audibles, but I also think that it massively aided GB in defending the run. They seemed to know what run plays were coming and when we were going with the read option as Clay went through unblocked twice onto Kaep. I also noted that GB sold out to stop the run and put a lot of beef on the line. We also seem to have a tendancy to run to the right hand side of centre through the RG/RT and there must be a look we give as the GB run defense was there to stuff it. We got a lot more success running to the outside than inside.

4) Green Bay's 2nd TD - that ticky tack penalty on Bowman really killed us, I am not sure they'd have scored without those free 15 yards and penalties against us were regular. However, I cannot understand why they flag Bowman for unsportsmanlike but didn't flag Clay on his 2 hits on Kap for taunting. Never mind that Clay should have been ejected for the late hit and then punching on Staley.

5) Green Bay TD - Finlay's TD - was a catastrophe for us and a very soft score to give up. Aldon flagged for offside, Nnamdi misses a tackle that should have ended the drive for a FG, Cox misses a tackle on the TD and then Whitner is just slightly too late to get him out at the line. I think there was another opportunity on that play for us to stop them, it may have been Reid's missed tackle early.

6) Calls in general, we gave up far too many yards on penalties - 80+ - that's basically a full drive from the 20 to the end zone, however I am not sure the refs were calling an even game. There was a massive amount of holding by the Green Bay Oline, even though Rodgers was obviously getting the ball out as fast as he could. I think he had the pass out within 2 seconds on a lot of throws.

7) In spite of all this we left points on the field I think and that is a good sign given it was game one and Kap had taken less snaps than any other starting QB in the pre-season.

Lastly, this was like a play-off game to Green Bay. I think they were so embarrassed from the play off game that they circled this game and went all out for it. They studied the read option defense, they signed Tolzien (and Wallace) and they massively beefed up the line with Jolly, Raji and Pritcher(??), I think their defensive plan this season is to focre a duel between Rogers and the other team's QB. Given they have Minnesota in the division I think they've obviously planned to stop us, winning this game, and to stop AP. I suspect their view is that the road to the SB will run through us, and given the loss to Minnesota last year added another game to their schedule, they've gone all out on run def. They will be in the play-offs this year and I think we will see them again in the NFC championship game.

What is truly impressive though for us is we've just beaten a team that schemed all off season to beat us, were incredibly motivated to beat us, hired our former backup QB for the intelligence and played with with real fire in the game. We still beat them and left points on the field.
Originally posted by Buchy:
Was waiting for your thread before posting my views, rewatched the game again last night and here are the things that stick out to me:

1) Kap is brilliant and was very poised and calm yesterday. He made the right deceision almost every time, though execution of some passes wasn't what he would want (the McDonald one). I don't hold him responsible for the 2 throws to Kyle Williams, a good receiver would have adjusted and made those catches, Williams kept blazing on his routes. Anyway, Kap was right into the mix on the sideline hit between Staley and Clay trying to get the team out so we maintained the penalty advantage. He was there again after the 4&2 completion to Boldin where GB players were trying to draw a foul after the completion by holding him down. Kap got him out without him getting penalised (Boldin was really fired up) and moved us on. In short, incredibly cool head and he's thinking of the win and game result and is cool enough to ignore the jive talking rubbish. My only possible critique is that pass to McDonald that was too low and resulted in a drop and then a three and out. We had some momentum in the game at that point and I think if Kaep had put the pass a bit higher up we'd have gone down the field for another score.

2) Eric Reid is going to be a star. He should be credited for 2 interceptions because if he hadn't made that second one in the end zone on the free play then GB would have been credited with another score. He missed one tackle but was otherwise excellent.

3) GB taking Tolzien on obviously had a real impact. I think it caused confusion on the audibles, but I also think that it massively aided GB in defending the run. They seemed to know what run plays were coming and when we were going with the read option as Clay went through unblocked twice onto Kaep. I also noted that GB sold out to stop the run and put a lot of beef on the line. We also seem to have a tendancy to run to the right hand side of centre through the RG/RT and there must be a look we give as the GB run defense was there to stuff it. We got a lot more success running to the outside than inside.

4) Green Bay's 2nd TD - that ticky tack penalty on Bowman really killed us, I am not sure they'd have scored without those free 15 yards and penalties against us were regular. However, I cannot understand why they flag Bowman for unsportsmanlike but didn't flag Clay on his 2 hits on Kap for taunting. Never mind that Clay should have been ejected for the late hit and then punching on Staley.

5) Green Bay TD - Finlay's TD - was a catastrophe for us and a very soft score to give up. Aldon flagged for offside, Nnamdi misses a tackle that should have ended the drive for a FG, Cox misses a tackle on the TD and then Whitner is just slightly too late to get him out at the line. I think there was another opportunity on that play for us to stop them, it may have been Reid's missed tackle early.

6) Calls in general, we gave up far too many yards on penalties - 80+ - that's basically a full drive from the 20 to the end zone, however I am not sure the refs were calling an even game. There was a massive amount of holding by the Green Bay Oline, even though Rodgers was obviously getting the ball out as fast as he could. I think he had the pass out within 2 seconds on a lot of throws.

7) In spite of all this we left points on the field I think and that is a good sign given it was game one and Kap had taken less snaps than any other starting QB in the pre-season.

Lastly, this was like a play-off game to Green Bay. I think they were so embarrassed from the play off game that they circled this game and went all out for it. They studied the read option defense, they signed Tolzien (and Wallace) and they massively beefed up the line with Jolly, Raji and Pritcher(??), I think their defensive plan this season is to focre a duel between Rogers and the other team's QB. Given they have Minnesota in the division I think they've obviously planned to stop us, winning this game, and to stop AP. I suspect their view is that the road to the SB will run through us, and given the loss to Minnesota last year added another game to their schedule, they've gone all out on run def. They will be in the play-offs this year and I think we will see them again in the NFC championship game.

What is truly impressive though for us is we've just beaten a team that schemed all off season to beat us, were incredibly motivated to beat us, hired our former backup QB for the intelligence and played with with real fire in the game. We still beat them and left points on the field.

You bring up a good point about Tolzien. I had forgotten about his potential effect on Green Bay's game planning. They did seem to be onto a bunch of plays. What they didn't see a lot of in the last playoff game were passes from the pocket. That may be why hiring Eric Mangini might have paid off in a situation like this. Self-scouting, anticipating what opponent's defenses might throw at us and plan accordingly. It'll be interesting to see how Mangini affects our game planning, especially against Seattle. Here's to hoping that we cut out a lot of the cutesy pre-snap line-shifting and motions.
Originally posted by NinerDan:
I just rewatched the game and had a few observations.
- Green Bay looked like they had our run calls. They were already sending guys in the running lanes but they seemed to have extra bush and pursuit on the runs. I don't know if we have a tell but I don't think Green Bays front seven is really that good.

I noted this in my thread as well: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/174616-game-1-assessment/