There are 198 users in the forums

2013 - Week 1: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I was pretty satisfied with Whitner in this game he had a few good heads up plays preventing disasters, the big one being the reception that would have been in bounds had he not grabbed and thrown finley out of bounds before his feet touched the ground.

He had a nice game. That was a great play on Finley. Also made a huge play at the end of the game stopping Cobb from getting out of bounds and stopping the clock. Rodgers would have had enough time to take a few shots into the endzone if not for that tackle.

Oh come on! The TE towered over him and made the catch...and was traveling out of bounds anyways. Highly unlikely he comes down inbounds with both feet. The other play he made was a blown coverage by either him or Rogers to begin with. Another posted thought it was his inside assignment on the easy TD, not Nnamdi. Not sure about that though but it is his M.O. If he makes a play I will highlight it for sure!

Hahaha I was waiting for your response NCommand. Give the dude a little credit will ya!

I know right, and he actually would have come down in bounds cause the catch he made when he jumped he jumped straight up he wasnt jumping out of bounds, and he was almost a full yard in bounds coming down.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i was kind of h oping i would not see things today about the only reason ck did well was because the packers have a poor defense. we heard this last year and the year before with who our quarterback was. i just think that is silly to throw cold water on a big win over one of the top three teams in the nfc and maybe three or four in the nfl. the niners are not going to "llive" on the deep pass. the niners will not live on anything, they will itch where it scratches and take what is given to them while always trying to impose their will with the best o line in the game. the above poster was critical of a dump off to miller. good lord, i think that was a great play,, just when you think you got vernon and boldin locked down, you gotta worry about miller and gore out of the back field. i am sorry but i just can not see how one can put a negative spin on that. miller i think got some very nice yards after the catch on his two receptions. i just see it different than the Psinex

I am not saying that the only reason why Kaep did well yesterday was because of Green Bay's defense. I just want people to recognize that not every game is going to resemble that kind of stat sheet every week. That was his first regular season 300 yard game. People seem to be getting carried away, which is understandable. But against a better defense like Seattle, if Kaep can't find open receivers, he has to look for the open receivers underneath more quickly.

It seems like Kaep goes the check down too late to give them any kind of chance at getting down field and breaking some tackles. It's great that he looks down field on almost every single play, but against a good tackling time like Seattle that is extremely aggressive, screen passes to Kendall Hunter and Gore, slants to Vernon or Patton could be a good strategy to keep them off-balance. After the last game, they're going to be watching Boldin and Vernon very closely. Kaep needs to spread the ball around more to other receiving options. Last year, he only had eyes for Crabtree, which cost us in the Superbowl.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Psinex:
I am not saying that the only reason why Kaep did well yesterday was because of Green Bay's defense. I just want people to recognize that not every game is going to resemble that kind of stat sheet every week. That was his first regular season 300 yard game. People seem to be getting carried away, which is understandable. But against a better defense like Seattle, if Kaep can't find open receivers, he has to look for the open receivers underneath more quickly.

It seems like Kaep goes the check down too late to give them any kind of chance at getting down field and breaking some tackles. It's great that he looks down field on almost every single play, but against a good tackling time like Seattle that is extremely aggressive, screen passes to Kendall Hunter and Gore, slants to Vernon or Patton could be a good strategy to keep them off-balance. After the last game, they're going to be watching Boldin and Vernon very closely. Kaep needs to spread the ball around more to other receiving options. Last year, he only had eyes for Crabtree, which cost us in the Superbowl.
sorry i will go to my grave saying no player cost us the super bowl. the coaches did not allow us to win the super bowl. i see the ck hysteria you talk about and that is fine and understandable but i really think most people are really not getting carried away, they saw yesterdays game as a game in which ck beat a team with his arm which most of us knew he could do anyway. he had to cuz the pack had three fat guys designed to stop the run and we still ran the ball when we needed to. i am sorry but aside from two very nice passes to miller i did not see alot of checkdowns, i think he was looking at all his options, was very smart. one time he went to run, pulled back and threw a nice pass to someone. i think we saw he used boldin and vernon because he is used to them and face it ,, they are our best weapons right now and i think most of know or hope, the other guys will come the more work they get with ck. Now i am not smart about football so maybe i am all wrong about the checkdown thing you spoke of,, i just did not see it
i was kind of h oping i would not see things today about the only reason ck did well was because the packers have a poor defense. we heard this last year and the year before with who our quarterback was. i just think that is silly to throw cold water on a big win over one of the top three teams in the nfc and maybe three or four in the nfl. the niners are not going to "llive" on the deep pass. the niners will not live on anything, they will itch where it scratches and take what is given to them while always trying to impose their will with the best o line in the game. the above poster was critical of a dump off to miller. good lord, i think that was a great play,, just when you think you got vernon and boldin locked down, you gotta worry about miller and gore out of the back field. i am sorry but i just can not see how one can put a negative spin on that. miller i think got some very nice yards after the catch on his two receptions. i just see it different than the Psinex

sorry i will go to my grave saying no player cost us the super bowl. the coaches did not allow us to win the super bowl. i see the ck hysteria you talk about and that is fine and understandable but i really think most people are really not getting carried away, they saw yesterdays game as a game in which ck beat a team with his arm which most of us knew he could do anyway. he had to cuz the pack had three fat guys designed to stop the run and we still ran the ball when we needed to. i am sorry but aside from two very nice passes to miller i did not see alot of checkdowns, i think he was looking at all his options, was very smart. one time he went to run, pulled back and threw a nice pass to someone. i think we saw he used boldin and vernon because he is used to them and face it ,, they are our best weapons right now and i think most of know or hope, the other guys will come the more work they get with ck. Now i am not smart about football so maybe i am all wrong about the checkdown thing you spoke of,, i just did not see it

I suppose we can agree to disagree as we do about Ted Ginn's time with the Niners. Back to Kaep, everything is fine and dandy when things are going well. I am of the opinion that Kaepernick's lack of a short passing game could become an issue later, but it seems that not too many agree. I'm fine with that. I really hope I am wrong about this. We can revisit this discussion at the midway point of the season.

I suppose we can agree to disagree as we do about Ted Ginn's time with the Niners. Back to Kaep, everything is fine and dandy when things are going well. I am of the opinion that Kaepernick's lack of a short passing game could become an issue later, but it seems that not too many agree. I'm fine with that. I really hope I am wrong about this. We can revisit this discussion at the midway point of the season.

...And in addition to Kaep's short passing game, I want to see a stronger commitment to the non-QB running game. The Niners have excellent running backs that can take the heat off Kaep and set up the play action. Keep defenses honest. Eat up clock, keep the ball away, wear out defenses till you start busting longer and longer runs in the second half. They did a good job with time of possession yesterday, about a 17 minute edge. A lot of positives. But it all goes out the window when they travel up to Seattle next weekend.
I just can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading -

"Eric Reid was solid for his first start" - Really? I don't see how he could of been much better. He missed one tackle, but so does Bowman occasionally. Its like people on this board expect perfection. He's a really good safety, not a demi-god.

I also don't understand how you can say anything negative about Kap. He threw for 412 yards, 3TDs and zero interceptions in the first game of the season with a new WR core and almost no snaps in the pre-season. In addition, the D didn't even have to account for weak 2.7 yards a carry run game. Again, what do you guys need to see?

When Boldin first got here, I was hoping we would extend him. Based on what I saw yesterday, he's got at least 2 more years of high quality play. Imagine Boldin and Crabs on the field together. Sadly, I don't see us being able to afford that.
[ Edited by ThePBM on Sep 9, 2013 at 8:33 PM ]
I just rematches the game and had a few observations.
- Kap is unbelievable throwing 20-30 yards. He did under throw KW twice... Looks like they need to get together some more if Kyle is going to be our number 2. Otherwise, Kap was making all the right decisions.
- One thing I was hoping to see this year was better clock management and we didn't see that yesterday. Unfortunately it was same old same old and that's not good enough.
- Green Bay looked like they had our run calls. They were already sending guys in the running lanes but they seemed to have extra bush and pursuit on the runs. I don't know if we have a tell but I don't think Green Bays front seven is really that good.
- gore didn't have a great game but he still amazes me that he always gets positive yards even when it looks like there'll be a loss of a yard.

I think the team did great against a tough opponent but I do think they will need to play better to beat Seattle next week.
way to go, CC, tell it like it is. I find it amusing to hear folks didn't like Kap's dump off to miller. What? Where have they been the last 36 yrs? Joe did it, Steve did it, now kap does it and ...Hell all the great Qbs had dump off plays, Favre, Marino, Joe Namath, Tom Brady, Eli, Peyton, Brees, Aaron Rodgers for heavens sakes... to mention but a few. So before criticizing kap for a terrific play, maybe you might want to rethink that statement.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
way to go, CC, tell it like it is. I find it amusing to hear folks didn't like Kap's dump off to miller. What? Where have they been the last 36 yrs? Joe did it, Steve did it, now kap does it and ...Hell all the great Qbs had dump off plays, Favre, Marino, Joe Namath, Tom Brady, Eli, Peyton, Brees, Aaron Rodgers for heavens sakes... to mention but a few. So before criticizing kap for a terrific play, maybe you might want to rethink that statement.

You got the wrong idea. People want to see MORE passes underneath like the one to Bruce Miller.
What bothers me is that Miller was open...open...still open...and then Kaep finally passed to him. He did the same thing to Frank Gore,
When he was wide open underneath. I would like to see Kaep hit them in stride instead of getting the ball to them when they are parked
on the spot, waiting all day for Kaep to get them the ball.

After re-watching the game, the more I realize Nnamdi sucks. He plays like a dear in front of headlights.... the same look I noticed at Philly. I rather take my chances with Brock or even Daryl Morris. Damn I miss Cully
[ Edited by kronik on Sep 9, 2013 at 9:53 PM ]
So Kap didn't throw for enough short passes? WTF
Marvin,

First off thank you for these threads I always look forward to them. I was completely off the grid up until a few hours ago, so it was particularly useful this week to catch me up. I'm waiting for my final flight back from my honeymoon (Maldives, which is amazing btw!).

Feels great to get a win, and to have our QB not miss a beat with his 'number 1 WR' out. It's also great to see Boldin and Reid making very positive impressions. Obviously I'm a little disappointed with the Hawks win, but overall great way to come back from the void!!

What was the general consensus of V. McDonald an Patton?

What's the concern level for our pass defense? Was it just playing Rodgers or is there a carry-over from last postseason?

And lastly, how did Dawson perform? Can we finally start trusting out kicker again?

Keep up the good work and it should be a heated week over on the .Net!
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
So Kap didn't throw for enough short passes? WTF

Look at it like this....

We all know LMJ is a tool to be used in space where he can move. When he's back and on the field, Kap needs to be aware that looking for the home run might not mean a 30 yard pass. Giving certain guys the chance to work in space on a short pass can be dangerous to a D. Crabs is another example. Hitting him underneath and letting him do work is desired.

Is it a nitpick? Yes. But it's a great tool for eating yards and tends to be a higher percentage pass.
Originally posted by kronik:
After re-watching the game, the more I realize Nnamdi sucks. He plays like a dear in front of headlights.... the same look I noticed at Philly. I rather take my chances with Brock or even Daryl Morris. Damn I miss Cully

Dude... I was thinking the same thing around the 3rd and 4th quarters. He looked lost at times. The heck happened to that guy? Hope he can pick it up, because we're gonna need him to slit throats next week.
Share 49ersWebzone