There are 171 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

post 4th down conversion clock management

did the niners play things out the best they could have after kaeprnick hit boldin on the 4th down play---i ask cause i dont know....i know that it worked out, but it seemed risky to kick the field goal, as (1) a blocked field goal was possible with a new snapper, and could be returned for a td , and (2) even if made, rodgers gets the ball back where a td wins the packers the game m(at the time i was thinking about romo hitting the long pass in o.t. vs niners 2 years ago)...would it have been safer to just run another play, milk the clock as much as you can and leave the packers with the ball about 90 yards away from the end zone
did the niners play things out the best they could have after kaeprnick hit boldin on the 4th down play---i ask cause i dont know....i know that it worked out, but it seemed risky to kick the field goal, as (1) a blocked field goal was possible with a new snapper, and could be returned for a td , and (2) even if made, rodgers gets the ball back where a td wins the packers the game m(at the time i was thinking about romo hitting the long pass in o.t. vs niners 2 years ago)...would it have been safer to just run another play, milk the clock as much as you can and leave the packers with the ball about 90 yards away from the end zone
1-0
Originally posted by hofer36:
(1) a blocked field goal was possible with a new snapper, and could be returned for a td

Those are routine plays. You have to trust your players to execute in those situations. That's their job.

(2) even if made, rodgers gets the ball back where a td wins the packers the game m(at the time i was thinking about romo hitting the long pass in o.t. vs niners 2 years ago)...

Rodgers gets the ball back regardless. Only difference was making him go the length of the field to get 7, or go half the field to get 3. Easy choice.

would it have been safer to just run another play, milk the clock as much as you can and leave the packers with the ball about 90 yards away from the end zone

Don't think so. We kicked the FG on 4th down. If we ran a play instead and didn't convert, the clock stops from turnover on downs. So it would not have taken much time off the clock. We were much better off kicking the FG, and making him drive 80 yards for a TD with 26 secs left and no timeouts.
If the team didn't kick the FG, Rodgers would have only needed to get within FG range to tie it. At least with the FG, it forced the Pack to go for the TD.
Originally posted by jiarukt8:
Nitpicking.