There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does Boldin's great performance overshadow a bigger problem at the receiver position?

The short answer is yes. But I am not sure the problem is at the receiver position. Could be young QB. Could be up in the booth. Not sure.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,259
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
exactly. we played the top QB in the league and we beat him. im not surprised rodgers scored and anyone who is is delusional. were not always gonna shut down the best offenses even though our defense is top notch but we now have an offense that is capable of droppin 40 points on people at any given time so were never out of the game. they have been game planning to stop our run for months and it backfired on them. now that the rest of the league knows what we can do they cant just key in on one thing and we can pick our spots with either the run or pass. our defense will get better as well with more tape to study of opposing teams. if its one thing harbaughs staff has established, its that they make great adjustments so im not worried about our defense at all
i chuckle or shake my heads at the so called experts on radio and tv. they are soooo shocked that ck beat rogers in a shootout. they are so shocked ck actually won with his arm. where the hell were they last year when ck took over? i will even go a step further. hell i think the experts have green bay on such a pedestal, it is just insane for them to think we could beat green bay with alex smith at green bay. It sent shock waves throughout the media world but it was done. Move forward to playoffs and we had to hear this blather than ck is a kid and can not beat rodgers in the playoffs. ok did that. move forward, the packers are prepared and there is no way ck and the niners can beat a better prepared team. ok did that. what next
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,259
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
The short answer is yes. But I am not sure the problem is at the receiver position. Could be young QB. Could be up in the booth. Not sure.
all those "concerns" which i think are bogus will all be taken care of the more the guys work with ck. for goodness sake i just think that is so easy to understand
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
exactly. we played the top QB in the league and we beat him. im not surprised rodgers scored and anyone who is is delusional. were not always gonna shut down the best offenses even though our defense is top notch but we now have an offense that is capable of droppin 40 points on people at any given time so were never out of the game. they have been game planning to stop our run for months and it backfired on them. now that the rest of the league knows what we can do they cant just key in on one thing and we can pick our spots with either the run or pass. our defense will get better as well with more tape to study of opposing teams. if its one thing harbaughs staff has established, its that they make great adjustments so im not worried about our defense at all
i chuckle or shake my heads at the so called experts on radio and tv. they are soooo shocked that ck beat rogers in a shootout. they are so shocked ck actually won with his arm. where the hell were they last year when ck took over? i will even go a step further. hell i think the experts have green bay on such a pedestal, it is just insane for them to think we could beat green bay with alex smith at green bay. It sent shock waves throughout the media world but it was done. Move forward to playoffs and we had to hear this blather than ck is a kid and can not beat rodgers in the playoffs. ok did that. move forward, the packers are prepared and there is no way ck and the niners can beat a better prepared team. ok did that. what next

ill let them worry about that, we did our job. as long as we continue to respond to challenges like that the niners will do great things
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 946
Insufficient sample size. 200+ yard receiving performances are very rare. And when they do occur, the other receivers are naturally going to be quiet (unless the QB throws for 600 yds). Let's see how things look after week four.
Jreff, mentioned it first ,then Hofer. Kap does get used to throwing to one guy , or two, and it is hard for him to break that. Also remember, that some of that may be from roman or Coach. They want experience, and don't trust young guys...or something like that. Well, that is tuff tiddy, because we HAVE TO depend on younger guys, and right now we got them. This lineup ...BOLDIN PATTON VANCE VERNON BALDWIN I can't wait to see that lineup against SEA. They can hold a couple guys, but not all. And those guys are going to get open....if we stayed with this all game, I believe we would eat SEA alive. Note I didn't even mention kyle or moore, who can rotate in also. Plus roman remembered frank and miller for 3 plays.

Right now , and CC alluded to it also, Kap is comfortable with anquan and Vernon....kyle a bit too. What has to happen is kap has to get comfortable with patton, moore, Vance, and Baldwin. Once he does that, THEN, this passing attack can't be stopped. Right now he is close, but we are going to lose one or two WRs this yr to injury...just based on last two yrs....and Kap has to be ready with all these guys for an injury not to stop us....I commend Coach for getting this talent. NOW kap has to use it. But for SEA, I still like the lineup above, all formations split wide. Do that, and then watch frank run
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM ]
KW had a good 7 yards on the defender but CK under threw it. That would've been sweet.
williams is f**king useless , would have love to have Patten take his spot and Hawkin get the KR/PR insted of him. cut him 3 or 4 passes for 36 yards f**k the rook TE will do better !
Originally posted by cNiner:
williams is f**king useless , would have love to have Patten take his spot and Hawkin get the KR/PR insted of him. cut him 3 or 4 passes for 36 yards f**k the rook TE will do better !


Williams was open but Kap couldn't connect on two plays where he could have scored.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,134
Heck no, the 49ers are deep at the position, that's just Boldin being Boldin, I really don't know why people think hes washed up. Sure Boldin might not be the fastest receiver on the roster or on 32 teams roster, but that guy fights for every yard and is very hard to bring down. Effort vs. Speed, I'd take effort all day!!!
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
KW had a good 7 yards on the defender but CK under threw it. That would've been sweet.

Agreed. Pretty surprising that Kap did that, too.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,134
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
KW had a good 7 yards on the defender but CK under threw it. That would've been sweet.

Agreed. Pretty surprising that Kap did that, too.

Noodle arm...came down like a punt....gonna miss those.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,651
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
The short answer is yes. But I am not sure the problem is at the receiver position. Could be young QB. Could be up in the booth. Not sure.

I was under the impression that our young quarterback had a pretty decent game.

His NFL passer rating was 129.4 and his espn quarterback rating was 89.8.

He completed 69.2% of his passes; 27/39. He averaged 10.6 yards per attempt.

He had 402 yards passing and 3 scores.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
The short answer is yes. But I am not sure the problem is at the receiver position. Could be young QB. Could be up in the booth. Not sure.

I was under the impression that our young quarterback had a pretty decent game.

His NFL passer rating was 129.4 and his espn quarterback rating was 89.8.

He completed 69.2% of his passes; 27/39. He averaged 10.6 yards per attempt.

He had 402 yards passing and 3 scores.

You are looking at that statement incorrectly. By Kap being young, he will lean on experienced vets more so than others. He needs to develop trust with the other 3-4 guys so it doesn't become a one man show. Last year when he first started he was feeding Ham everything, why is that...my guess is because they had more work together in the 2nd unit. Once he realizes he doesn't need to always lock onto 1 or 2 guys, the O will flourish.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 570
Well, does the fact that they threw for 400+ yards and ran for 94 yards mean they can't run the ball? No.

Its one game. You shouldn't draw any conlcusions about "problems" or "positives" from one game in terms of trends for the season.

Here's what you can conclude from this game:

(1) The Packers couldn't cover Boldin.

(2) Kaep has now had 3 good games finding Davis dating back to the NFC Championship Game.

(3) Aldon Smith and Justin Smith look healthy.

(4) Getting the offensive play in and the ball hiked is still a problem dating back to last year.

There are probably a couple of other possibilities but lets let at least the first quarter of the season play out until we start trying to draw any conclusions for the season.