There are 183 users in the forums

Does Boldin's great performance overshadow a bigger problem at the receiver position?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I haven't rewatched the game, but from where I stood (LB22) it looked as if every other receiver but Vernon and Boldin was having trouble gaining separation. Kaep had tons of time in the pocket (huge credit to a brilliant performance by the line in protection) but the only open people where Boldin and/or VD (on the one seam route that is, the rest of his targets were play-action). Some of the passes dropped by the others (KW, Vance) were not accurate throws by Kaep, and even Boldin had to make one tremendous catch in traffic and that one-handed juggle.

This was a great win, but there are things to work on here. Also on pass-rush, where a depleted GB line held our guys mostly in check.
Originally posted by paulk205:
I haven't rewatched the game, but from where I stood (LB22) it looked as if every other receiver but Vernon and Boldin was having trouble gaining separation. Kaep had tons of time in the pocket (huge credit to a brilliant performance by the line in protection) but the only open people where Boldin and/or VD (on the one seam route that is, the rest of his targets were play-action). Some of the passes dropped by the others (KW, Vance) were not accurate throws by Kaep, and even Boldin had to make one tremendous catch in traffic and that one-handed juggle.

This was a great win, but there are things to work on here. Also on pass-rush, where a depleted GB line held our guys mostly in check.

Thanks for mentioning the line! CK really had all day for the most part and clear passing lanes. Excellent start against a good team...not Seattle or Houston, but still a good defense.
I think it's situational given what the def. is doing--I think next week seattle will focus on being more aggressive with boldin and someone else will be there to make the play. I am more concerned that we are getting away from our power running that makes Gore such a weapon.
[ Edited by pickle on Sep 9, 2013 at 6:27 AM ]
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Not worried at all. If KW somehow catches that deep ball, this thread isn't created.

Patton played just 4 snaps. I doubt it's because the coaches are "saving" him for Seattle. More likely has to do with the gameplan that was installed in preparation for GB.

In yesterdays game, the GB D was focused on stopping Gore and the Read Option. They didnt respect Anquan so Kaep made em pay. Thats just how it goes.

I remember games where Jerry Rice would dominate and haul in 8-10 grabs with 175+ yards and 1 or 2 TDs and I never once was worried about the rest of the receivers.

Ballers gon ball
Vance will develop, as well Patton.

And then we get our starting WRs back in Crabs an manningham
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
We all saw how great Boldin played today. But the only other receiver to catch a ball was Kyle Williams, who had 3 catches for 36 yards. Should we be concerned that no other receivers had any production? What if Boldin gets shut down next week? Do you guys believe that any other RECEIVER (not tight end) will step up and make some plays?

Dont forget Davis had a nice day, and Vance was there also. They are receivers as well.
Vance caught a ball

Miller caught some passes as did gore.

And our WR still caught 200 yards.
Not yet. A 400 plus yard passing performance does not constitute a problem.
I don't thin our "problems" at the WR position are that big, really. Yesterday we proved we can win ANY way we need to win, any way the defense allows us. You take away the run like the Packers did and we'll win with Keaps arm. If a team takes away Boldin Gore, V. Davis, and/or Williams will have big days. Whatever issues we have at the WR position are overblown in my mind. Even without Crabs and Manningham we still have all kinds of weapons. I think many are seriously underestimating the healthy talent we have now.
Good point BUT I would rather the "To much Boldin Problem" than the "Three Guys named Chuck" problem.

Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
We all saw how great Boldin played today. But the only other receiver to catch a ball was Kyle Williams, who had 3 catches for 36 yards. Should we be concerned that no other receivers had any production? What if Boldin gets shut down next week? Do you guys believe that any other RECEIVER (not tight end) will step up and make some plays?

same with the Pack -- only Nelson and Cobb had catches.
I'm not worried in the slightest.

Kaepernick takes time to develop chemistry with his receivers. He only feeds the ball to guys he trusts and really knows.

Remember last year, Kap was always overthrowing Vernon Davis on those deep routes. Now they are on the same page and he hits him in stride. I think we are seeing the same thing with Kyle Williams. He caught 3 balls, and had at least two other targets that were not good throws. The deep one should have been put out in front of him.

I think Williams and Kap will be the first connection to form after Boldin and VD.
CK is not a Brees/ASmith type QB that spreads the ball around(that was almost an Alex compliment)

Smith will take what the defense gives him...and breed does it at a really high level. Almost any WR works for Brees to get 4000 yards

CK has enough horse power on this throws to get the ball to who he wants when he wants.
I am not concerned....what is a defense to do...double who? Bolden? Really? and leave the center of the field open to Davis?.

Double Davis? They will motion the hell out teams.

I don't envy what defenses have to face...
Crabtree = #1 WR
Boldin = #1 WR

After that, we got a whole slew of #3s.
Was hoping for a little more of the 7-11 but I think we'll see that progress through the year.
If Boldin gets shut down, Davis will have a monster day and vice versa. When Crabs gets back...man oh man.
I hope Boldin wants to stay a few years.
Originally posted by Ballistic:
I keep waiting for KW to emerge as a Welker/Amendola type dude, but whatever.

Welker and Amendola both play in the slot (lots of receptions for lower YPC), and Williams is playing outside.

FWIW I think Williams' natural home is in the slot, but unlike the Broncos and Pats, we don't have nearly as much use for a slot receiver because that's what we're essentially doing with our two TEs (imagine if Welker or Amendola could also shift and be used as inline blockers -- it's why our offense is multiple and hard to stop).
Share 49ersWebzone