LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 396 users in the forums

Does Boldin's great performance overshadow a bigger problem at the receiver position?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
We all saw how great Boldin played today. But the only other receiver to catch a ball was Kyle Williams, who had 3 catches for 36 yards. Should we be concerned that no other receivers had any production? What if Boldin gets shut down next week? Do you guys believe that any other RECEIVER (not tight end) will step up and make some plays?

Marlon Moore had 1 target.

Quinton Patton had 0 targets.

Not sure how you complain about receivers not having any production when Boldin and Williams were the only ones who played basically.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
We all saw how great Boldin played today. But the only other receiver to catch a ball was Kyle Williams, who had 3 catches for 36 yards. Should we be concerned that no other receivers had any production? What if Boldin gets shut down next week? Do you guys believe that any other RECEIVER (not tight end) will step up and make some plays?

Marlon Moore had 1 target.

Quinton Patton had 0 targets.

Not sure how you complain about receivers not having any production when Boldin and Williams were the only ones who played basically.
boldin vd and kyle were open so he threw to them. not a big deal, every game will feature different players more prominently
Boldin was just nasty today. Some of those catches are unbelievable.
Originally posted by jreff22:
He did. I think Kap tends to key in on guys he really really trusts. It will just take more practice reps....and his number to be called.

I also think he has to prove it to the coaches, earn that playing time. Harbaugh is kind of old school, he doesn't care what your pedigree is or where you were drafted, you will serve your time and earn your touches. These guys wouldn't just award their #1 pick last year playing time just for being a #1, they're not just gonna give it to Patton. Trust me, I think he will earn it sooner rather than later, but it's not gonna be instant.
Originally posted by fister30:

that one hander was so badass. this dude is 32 years old and he played like a 26 year old today. guys in ridiculous shape
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by fister30:

that one hander was so badass. this dude is 32 years old and he played like a 26 year old today. guys in ridiculous shape

Yeah, the one hander was crazy and the other back shoulder throw when he had a DB drapped all over him was nuts. It doesn't matter where the DB is he is always open.
We will see next week, if we have a problem.

Boldin was outstanding. But against these physical seahawks DBs it won't be that easy (e.g. he musceled a ball away from towo defenders). And: he will be covered better....

I sure hope, I am wrong
[ Edited by Toughniner on Sep 9, 2013 at 12:54 AM ]
49ERS GOTA STOP THE RUN!!!1
Originally posted by sanjo49er:

and the pass
Originally posted by sanjo49er:

So you post this on the Anquan Boldin/WR thread? You posted in all caps on the game impressions thread "49ERS SUXXX ON RUN D" so I assume you are either drunk or trolling at this point. By the way 49ers only gave up 63 yards on the ground today.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 9, 2013 at 1:05 AM ]

I heard one analyst posit the notion that Seattle's big DBs will relish the challenge of facing a "big & slow" Boldin vs a darty speed receiver. So you wanna wager on somebody shutting down Anquan? I wouldn't, but let's say that some big physical DBs can slow him down, then maybe that's the time for a speedy Patton to light it up, not just because it's time, but because they now have a mismatch advantage vs the Big & Slow DBs of the Seahawks.

Kids who got speed have lots of success in football, so they don't learn to do all the things that Anquan does. Anquan knows how to separate and how to communicate with his QB at the right time. It's about moves, not speed. It's about looking back or turning or cutting at the right time while his QB is looking at him and then using his strength to bring the ball down vs just running the programmed route at high speed for 5 seconds & then wandering about aimlessly & wistfully staring into the sky after the prescribed amount of time for you to have gotten the ball has expired. Speed doesn't get you open that much in today's speedy NFL. Cutting harder than the other guy & pushing off without looking like you're pushing off does.

Truth is, Seattle is in the same boat as Green Bay in the sense that the Kap to Boldin thing is all-new and something they haven't faced before. Well, I guess Seattle can watch this game, but the 49ers had plenty of tape to watch the Flacco to Boldin connection last year & they still couldn't do much to prevent him from catching passes.

Anyway, it goes without saying that keeping Russel 'Scooter' Wilson off the field next week should definitely be part of the game plan, so getting comfortable with 3 yard runs and 5 yard passing plays might be a gr8 strategy regardless of whether Boldin is getting open like his usual monster self or not. Well, scoring an astonishing number of TDs is another good strategy!
[ Edited by NinerFandrew on Sep 9, 2013 at 1:10 AM ]
Vance McDonald played well to bad Kaepernick threw that ball low he would of had a First Down
Patton needs to take Moore's spot as the 3rd WR. s**t I think Patton should be our #2 WR right now.
Originally posted by NinerFandrew:
I heard one analyst posit the notion that Seattle's big DBs will relish the challenge of facing a "big & slow" Boldin vs a darty speed receiver. So you wanna wager on somebody shutting down Anquan? I wouldn't, but let's say that some big physical DBs can slow him down, then maybe that's the time for a speedy Patton to light it up, not just because it's time, but because they now have a mismatch advantage vs the Big & Slow DBs of the Seahawks.

Kids who got speed have lots of success in football, so they don't learn to do all the things that Anquan does. Anquan knows how to separate and how to communicate with his QB at the right time. It's about moves, not speed. It's about looking back or turning or cutting at the right time while his QB is looking at him and then using his strength to bring the ball down vs just running the programmed route at high speed for 5 seconds & then wandering about aimlessly & wistfully staring into the sky after the prescribed amount of time for you to have gotten the ball has expired. Speed doesn't get you open that much in today's speedy NFL. Cutting harder than the other guy & pushing off without looking like you're pushing off does.

Truth is, Seattle is in the same boat as Green Bay in the sense that the Kap to Boldin thing is all-new and something they haven't faced before. Well, I guess Seattle can watch this game, but the 49ers had plenty of tape to watch the Flacco to Boldin connection last year & they still couldn't do much to prevent him from catching passes.

Anyway, it goes without saying that keeping Russel 'Scooter' Wilson off the field next week should definitely be part of the game plan, so getting comfortable with 3 yard runs and 5 yard passing plays might be a gr8 strategy regardless of whether Boldin is getting open like his usual monster self or not. Well, scoring an astonishing number of TDs is another good strategy!

Nice 1st post
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
kap had a 49er record breaking day and boldin goes over 200 yards and we're trying to find a PROBLEM???

Depends on how you look at it. If his "injury" was bad today we would be in a very bad place. We need one of the others to step up and take control. If Davis is in blocking we can't assume Boldin will always be open. Having a secondary WR option is a good thing.
Share 49ersWebzone