There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Impressions after today's game

Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by fryet:
I wasn't quite as impressed with Reid. He made some good plays, but he also missed at least 1 tackle, plus I saw him out of position on another. The missed tackles on the secondary surprised me the most. Our pash rush against a weak OL also disappointed me. Aaron Rodgers had a ton of time to pass the ball. I guess considering that, I am surprised the 49ers only gave up 28 points. Also, where is our red zone defense? Defense plays well when the opponent if +50 yards away, and then tends to collapse when the team gets inside our 20. I am trying to figure out if we still have a good defense or not.

You were not impressed with Reid? Hahaha. Outside of the one missed tackle he got my game ball on D. Guy was a stud out there. Have no idea what you watched.

Yeah I think he stood out as the best player on our defense today, actually. Seemed like he was the only guy who could tackle in the open field, and he did it by using his shoulder and hitting like a truck.

Yes, Kap, Boldin and VD deserve the spotlight, but Reid's performance made me very happy. Considering how we played today and that we traded up to get him, I think we found ourselves a safety for the next decade.
Originally posted by Disp:
I like Patton a lot, but some of you are being pretty unfair to WIlliams. The first bomb Kaepernick overthrew him when he was open and the second one he underthrew when Williams had Shields beat by 5 yards.

I hold my breath anytime the ball comes near Williams. He seems to get open deep but he's short and that makes for a more difficult target. There are players on the roster to fill his roles. Cox gives me the impression he's going to make a big play in the return game every time he fields a kickoff or punt. I guess the 2011 NFC Championship is a game I won't forget anytime soon.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I hold my breath anytime the ball comes near Williams. He seems to get open deep but he's short and that makes for a more difficult target. There are players on the roster to fill his roles. Cox gives me the impression he's going to make a big play in the return game every time he fields a kickoff or punt. I guess the 2011 NFC Championship is a game I won't forget anytime soon.

Let it go that was an eternity ago
Very nice OP, Karma.

I knew Boldin was good, but wow... he seems like he found the fountain of youth and just hooked up an I.V. all offseason.

I knew Kaep was good with the promise to be amazing... but this game definitely makes me think that amazing is already here.

GREAT START, NINERS!!!!!

( Clean up the damn penalties though, will ya? )
I like Patton a lot, but some of you are being pretty unfair to WIlliams. The first bomb Kaepernick overthrew him when he was open and the second one he underthrew when Williams had Shields beat by 5 yards.

A better receiver would have adjusted to the ball and gone up to catch it. Yes, it was underthrown, but Williams should have recognized that.
Good posts Karma and Gore 21! OL looked good to me today for pass situations. Matthews is nearly unstoppable but they neutralized him except for one sack and a flagrant out of bounds hit. Retaliation on that should have been ignored by the refs, but giving the 3rd down opportunity helped...so...no harm no foul.
Originally posted by kray28:

A better receiver would have adjusted to the ball and gone up to catch it. Yes, it was underthrown, but Williams should have recognized that.

Completely agree with this!
Originally posted by Rascal:
  • As mentioned before, the thing that stuck out most in this game was Kap's continuing issue of getting the snaps off. I think Harbaugh tried to protect Kap a bit by saying it was the coaching staff's fault for getting the plays in too slow. From what I saw, it seemed to me Kap was trying to show he is more experienced and less frantic by taking a more relaxed approach while not being aware of the play clock. On top of that, it looked like he was trying to audible and keep changing plays. That's all cool if you can do it in a timely fashion, but based on my recollection the clock pretty much always ran down to 7 secs before he started the snap count. That to me is way too tight, not to mention the countless timeouts called and the delay of game penalty. Also, there doesn't seem to be a varriation in the snap counts and it doesn't help based on the one that he uses is a somewhat lengthy one. If you can't do it comfortably in a home game with an open roof stadium, you are going to be having serious problems when you are on the road. This is a glaring issue and frankly has been lingering ever since Kap started and something will have to be done about that.
This really upset me as well. I don't know who's fault it is (Roman being slow to get he play in, Kap being slow to distribute the play, a combination of both, etc), but they need to get this fixed. This problem is especially compounded by the fact that the 49ers used so much pre-snap deception (e.g. multiple players motion before the snap).

Last year in the playoffs, I thought practically the only problem with an otherwise-unstoppable offense was the poor clock management. I thought for sure that would be a point of emphasis this offseason, and it is extremely demoralizing to see it rear its ugly head again. I totally agree with your premise too -- if this is such a huge issue at home, what's it going to look like while we're on the road? The problem will only be exacerbated...
Great game guys. I thought my Packers held their own pretty well.

With that said I agree. The 49ers did a decent job of containing the Packers pass offense. Its pretty rare that a team ever shuts it down. Rodgers is just too good for that. I always see leading up to games where analysts will be predicting heavy pressure on Rodgers from an opposing defense. It usually never materializes. He has very good sublte movements in the pocket and feels the rush exceptionally well. He really is a great equalizer. Rodgers gets criticized on many online blogs for holding the ball too long and taking sacks but as we saw in this game. That's not always a bad thing. Its just who he is. His big plays come from when he is able to evade pressure and buy more time. Sure sometimes it leads to a couple of sacks in a game but many times it leads to 30-40+ yard completions. There isn't a secondary in the league that can cover 3 good WRs for 4-5+ seconds.
Originally posted by Empire49:
Regarding #4, the Packers made it very clear that they were not going to allow Kaep to run. So, he threw it. I was just talking about this with my buddies last night. Even predicted a 400 passing day for Kaep (over beers, of course).

It was obvious the Packers focused on the run and the Niners knew they would. It would have been dumb game planning if they went with designed QB runs knowing the Packers are focused on exactly that.

I agree. The Packers wanted to make sure they didn't get burned by the run again. As a Packers fan even though we still lost this game wasn't anywhere close to as painful to watch as either game last year. While the Packers are getting ripped online for their defense many are quickly forgetting that they were actually winning the game with 5 minutes left to play. I think most of the so-called analyst experts don't actually watch many games and just look at box scores. THis game was nothing like the last two matchups. If the Packers defense was truly that bad then why were they winning the game with 5 minutes left depspite being -2 in turnovers.

400 yard passing games are going to happen in today's NFL. What can't be tolerated is 200-300 yard rushing games. That is when it is simply too easy to move the ball.
  • kdogg
  • Veteran
  • Do they still call 2 plays every time? (Let it roll/Kill) - Explains why it takes so long and having to decide what 2 plays
  • Dog the bounty hunter (#71) held Justin Smith on every single slow mo replay! But I guess they can't call it every single time...
  • More Willis and less Cox on D
  • Packers D was stacked against run, so 400 yards passing countered that. OL did a great job on pass protecting 10+ yards per attempt day.
[ Edited by kdogg on Sep 9, 2013 at 7:00 AM ]
Originally posted by strat1080:
Great game guys. I thought my Packers held their own pretty well.

With that said I agree. The 49ers did a decent job of containing the Packers pass offense. Its pretty rare that a team ever shuts it down. Rodgers is just too good for that. I always see leading up to games where analysts will be predicting heavy pressure on Rodgers from an opposing defense. It usually never materializes. He has very good sublte movements in the pocket and feels the rush exceptionally well. He really is a great equalizer. Rodgers gets criticized on many online blogs for holding the ball too long and taking sacks but as we saw in this game. That's not always a bad thing. Its just who he is. His big plays come from when he is able to evade pressure and buy more time. Sure sometimes it leads to a couple of sacks in a game but many times it leads to 30-40+ yard completions. There isn't a secondary in the league that can cover 3 good WRs for 4-5+ seconds.

I was impressed by the Packers yesterday. If they can get a running game going against a lesser run defense, they'll be in good shape. I don't think there was much they could have done about Kap/Boldin. You can't take everything away, which is what makes Kaepernick so dangerous. In the last two games, he beat 'em once with 180 yards on the ground, and the next game with 400 yards in the air. Can't believe we got him in the 2nd Round.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I was impressed by the Packers yesterday. If they can get a running game going against a lesser run defense, they'll be in good shape. I don't think there was much they could have done about Kap/Boldin. You can't take everything away, which is what makes Kaepernick so dangerous. In the last two games, he beat 'em once with 180 yards on the ground, and the next game with 400 yards in the air. Can't believe we got him in the 2nd Round.

Sorry. I meant to quote Cullyinthehouse from Page 4. For some reason the quote didn't carry over.

I thought it was a very competitive and spirited game. I really don't understand the hate on the Packers defense from the talking heads. Like I just said in another post. The Packers actually had the lead with 5 minutes left to play. The Packers gave up a lot of yards but they were able to get some stops and force the 49ers to kick FGs and punt several times when they crossed mid-field.

The Packers still have a lot of young players on defense and were missing their best safety and their stud slot corner Casey Hayward. Not an excuse because the Packers still could have come away with this game but I think its promising for the future. At least their run defense is no longer a sieve because the 49ers manhandled the Packers in the run game both times last year. You aren't competitive if you can't stop the run. You can live with giving up big passing games because that just comes with the territory. As long as its not a Manning vs Ravens type of performance.

Kaepernick was lights out yesterday. He was on target and was throwing tracers. He did have wide open WRs for the most part though. It was to be expected with two inexperienced safeties out there and missing arguably the best corner on the team in Hayward. Those things will get fixed for Green Bay. The folks at ESPN are trying to say that this defense looks like the 2011 defense. I just don't see it. Morgan Burnett and Casey Hayward would have made an impact in this game. I don't think they would have given up as many big gainers as they did yesterday. I'm impressed with the velocity that Kaepernick throws with. Off memory, one of the strongest arms I've ever seen. Reminiscent of Brett Favre in his prime.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
For what it's worth, I think Stupar has more value than Tukuafu

Agree. If Tukuafu doesn't even rotate in on the d-line, or play FB anymore, I'd rather have a LB that provides ST ability.

exactly my thoughts, plus I like Stupar's play at ILB a little more than Moody even right now, since he's raw
Niner fans only seem to make noise for night games or playoff games.

Ridiculous when Kuhn ran for a first down the crowd went "Kuuuuuuuuhn" like they do in GB.

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
my impression was that there was hella green bay fans even though it didn't seem like it in the crowd.....

Agreed, looking at the crowd all red hardly any green but yet heard Let's Go Pack chants during the game and also was loud for a few of their tds/big plays. Guess their few fans were just loud. Anybody at the game got an estimate? Side note, nice that we are chanting Let's Go Niners as always but do it during the commercial breaks, not while our offense is in the huddle.

Niner fans only seem to make noise for night games or playoff games.

Ridiculous when Kuhn ran for a first down the crowd went "Kuuuuuuuuhn" like they do in GB.

I noticed that too. I was surprised by it.