There are 238 users in the forums

Impressions after today's game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Karma:
To respond to a few of your points:

• I have been saying it for weeks. Tony Jerod-Eddie will stick with this team. He has improved dramatically from last year and I think he is definitely ahead of Tukuafu. Stupar might get cut before Tukuafu to make room for Dobbs, but I think Dobbs and Tukuafu will be gone when Carradine and Dial are ready.
  • I agree completely with the clock awareness. That is one weakness that has carried over fom last year.
  • Hunter looks MUCH better than I thought he would, but don't underestimate what Gore brought today. I still think this is Gore's last year with the team. It only makes sense when you look at the talent we have at the position and the contract extensions we have coming, but Gore had about four runs today that would have been no gains for anyone else, but he managed to squirt through for five. I have never seen a guy get something out of nothing like Gore.

Yeah, said wasn't a knock on Gore. Also, his pass pro is one of the best in the league for RBs. He has tough games like this, wasn't the best push from the OL but Packers with Raji, Jolly have some big anchors. Just said I'd like to see more of a mix. Like 60-40, 65-35 and then when James comes back like 55-30-15 or something like that.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Added this to the game day thread but will post here.
-Tony Jerod-Eddie was active and played today. Unless Tukuafu has an injury we don't know about seems like he will be the player cut when Dobbs gets back.
-Seems like they are trying to work Cox in on kickoffs but not many chances with Mathasay (sp?) booming them out. Williams might not hold onto the job much longer. Fine by me I think Cox or Patton give us more home run potential anyway. We will see.
-Kap has to work on his play clock awareness.
-Need to stop faking the handoff on read option every play. Isn't as effective when done nearly every play. Also, many times on wrong side on hand off or fake.
-Less jumbo
-Reid looks good, nice ST tackle as well. Just one missed tackle I think
-Boldin looks great but we need Crabtree for the playoffs
-More McDonald (just has to hit the jugs machine and he will be great #2)
-More Patton....Kyle Williams... We will see but don't think he is a true #2. He needs to step up, can't expect Boldin/VD to have 300 yards every game.
-More Hunter...fresher legs... I know game one but more rotating...not a knock on Gore at all
-Defensive line didnt get much pressure late in the game. Definitely could use Carradine/Dial, probably blitz a little bit more when not getting pressure
-Aldon took over for Ahmad's offsides problem and then proceeds to stand there on a free play like Brooks does. Brooks lined up offsides on 3rd down luckily they didnt snap it and he got back..
-Roman conservative in red zone and at varies times... a lot of runs up the middle

As for the thread I like having an after the game discussion thread. Can always use something like this until Marvin posts his tomorrow and then merge if they have to. Game day thread kind of dies right after the game.

To respond to a few of your points:

• I have been saying it for weeks. Tony Jerod-Eddie will stick with this team. He has improved dramatically from last year and I think he is definitely ahead of Tukuafu. Stupar might get cut before Tukuafu to make room for Dobbs, but I think Dobbs and Tukuafu will be gone when Carradine and Dial are ready.
  • I agree completely with the clock awareness. That is one weakness that has carried over fom last year.
  • Hunter looks MUCH better than I thought he would, but don't underestimate what Gore brought today. I still think this is Gore's last year with the team. It only makes sense when you look at the talent we have at the position and the contract extensions we have coming, but Gore had about four runs today that would have been no gains for anyone else, but he managed to squirt through for five. I have never seen a guy get something out of nothing like Gore.

For what it's worth, I think Stupar has more value than Tukuafu
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
For what it's worth, I think Stupar has more value than Tukuafu

Agree. If Tukuafu doesn't even rotate in on the d-line, or play FB anymore, I'd rather have a LB that provides ST ability.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Added this to the game day thread but will post here. By the way nice post.

-Tony Jerod-Eddie was active and played today. Unless Tukuafu has an injury we don't know about seems like he will be the player cut when Dobbs gets back.
-Seems like they are trying to work Cox in on kickoffs but not many chances with Mathasay (sp?) booming them out. Williams might not hold onto the job much longer. Fine by me I think Cox or Patton give us more home run potential anyway. We will see.
-Kap has to work on his play clock awareness.
-Need to stop faking the handoff on read option every play. Isn't as effective when done nearly every play. Also, many times on wrong side on hand off or fake.
-Less jumbo
-Reid looks good, nice ST tackle as well. Just one missed tackle I think
-Boldin looks great but we need Crabtree for the playoffs
-More McDonald (just has to hit the jugs machine and he will be great #2)
-More Patton....Kyle Williams... We will see but don't think he is a true #2. He needs to step up, can't expect Boldin/VD to have 300 yards every game.
-More Hunter...fresher legs... I know game one but more rotating...not a knock on Gore at all
-Defensive line didnt get much pressure late in the game. Definitely could use Carradine/Dial, probably blitz a little bit more when not getting pressure
-Aldon took over for Ahmad's offsides problem and then proceeds to stand there on a free play like Brooks does. Brooks lined up offsides on 3rd down luckily they didnt snap it and he got back..
-I know it's game one but way to many penalties and some dumb penalties at that. Under Harbaugh penalties have been plenty but at least we are winning.
-Roman conservative in red zone and at varies times... a lot of runs up the middle

As for the thread I like having an after the game discussion thread. Can always use something like this until Marvin posts his tomorrow and then merge if they have to. Game day thread kind of dies right after the game.

Kyle is a slot receiver. not a Z or X. definitely need to see what we got with patton across from Boldin.
Originally posted by richierichard:
Great points

Agree with this
So who is the #2 WR?
Yea pass protection was on point. Run blocking was horrible. Bruce miller missed a lot of blocks early. Goodwin gets no push in the run game. I think they need to get back to power runs behind Boone & Davis vs those runs outta the pistol. Then get back to Hunter on some tosses to the outside. Might need to work Brock in with Nnamdi. Nnamdi never looks back fot the ball. Need to rotate in Lemioner with Brooks. And does Roman have something against screens? CK & Boldin were spectacular. And Rogers did good job covering the slot. When Cobb was making plays it was b/c Bowman was covering him. Whitner did well also. Reid balled out. Cane back and got a int right after a missed tackle. Not letting a mistake get him down. James jones was shut out. Jordy nelson just made some great plays. They played a top teir opponent today

And wtf was up with all the Packers fans at the game?
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Thoughts -

OL - I actually thought the OL played very well. There's a reason why Colin has 412 passing yards and it's because he had time to throw the ball usually. The OL obviously worked on their pass protection during the off season. Running game was expected and this is where I think Tolzien had an effect. It seemed like the Packers knew every 49er running play. It's clear the scouting has been done and Roman is going to have to think of even more creative ways to run the ball.

I agree, props to the OL's pass protection. Kaep had a nice pocket throughout the game.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Kyle is a slot receiver. not a Z or X. definitely need to see what we got with patton across from Boldin.

Yeah, I'd prefer he be our #3 slot WR and we will see if Patton or Moore can do enough to move into the #2 spot. Seems like they will have to earn it as I'd expect us to start rotating Moore, Patton and Williams in at #2.

Originally posted by jreff22: So who is the #2 WR?
We will pretend Vernon is our #2 WR and McDonald will be our #1 te. Vernon has always been our #1 or #2 WR in a way. I know what you mean though. Seems like Williams although he is a better slot WR. Hopefully Patton or Moore step up. McDonald should as well just has to work on his hands.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea pass protection was on point. Run blocking was horrible. Bruce miller missed a lot of blocks early. Goodwin gets no push in the run game. I think they need to get back to power runs behind Boone & Davis vs those runs outta the pistol. Then get back to Hunter on some tosses to the outside. Might need to work Brock in with Nnamdi. Nnamdi never looks back fot the ball. Need to rotate in Lemioner with Brooks. And does Roman have something against screens? CK & Boldin were spectacular. And Rogers did good job covering the slot. When Cobb was making plays it was b/c Bowman was covering him. Whitner did well also. Reid balled out. Cane back and got a int right after a missed tackle. Not letting a mistake get him down. James jones was shut out. Jordy nelson just made some great plays. They played a top teir opponent today

And wtf was up with all the Packers fans at the game?

To be fair, the 49ers were taking what they were given. Another point I'd like to make here is that the offense is going to change a bit with a new QB at the helm, and an excellent one at that. Alex was good but limited, so you need to protect him and run the ball a ton. With Kaep's ability to throw downfield as great as it is I would argue you take advantage of that. Unless this becomes a trend, or Gore has lost a step, I'm thinking the running game will make an appearance before all is said and done.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Sep 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM ]

• fip24
  • Veteran
1) this O would be impossible to stop if Crabs was healthy. With that said, we need someone to step up in the #2 wr spot. I would go w Patton

2) I thought the d played pretty well today. I don't think enough is being said about the game our CB's played. There weren't very many wide open WR ( some tough catches made by Nelson).

3) Whitner made a huge hustle play by racing back to keep Cobb from getting out of bounds on the last drive. With that said, I'm still not nuts about donte's game. He seems to make a lot of flashy plays/hits but only after he has given up a big play( not talking about the Cobb play, just in general)

4) I am a but nervous that we are going to go away from designed runs for Kaep.. I do think that is an essential part of the O

5) the Niners O line did not run block well at all today

6) Eric Reid looked like a stud. The kids hits hard all of the time. IMO he will be a huge upgrade over dashon by years upgrade

P.S. I know Marvin usually does a topic like this and he always has more insights than I do. If Marvin does his usual post and the mods decide to merge mine, I would take that as a compliment

Like Harbaugh would say, competition is a good thing . Good post.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
  • As mentioned before, the thing that stuck out most in this game was Kap's continuing issue of getting the snaps off. I think Harbaugh tried to protect Kap a bit by saying it was the coaching staff's fault for getting the plays in too slow. From what I saw, it seemed to me Kap was trying to show he is more experienced and less frantic by taking a more relaxed approach while not being aware of the play clock. On top of that, it looked like he was trying to audible and keep changing plays. That's all cool if you can do it in a timely fashion, but based on my recollection the clock pretty much always ran down to 7 secs before he started the snap count. That to me is way too tight, not to mention the countless timeouts called and the delay of game penalty. Also, there doesn't seem to be a varriation in the snap counts and it doesn't help based on the one that he uses is a somewhat lengthy one. If you can't do it comfortably in a home game with an open roof stadium, you are going to be having serious problems when you are on the road. This is a glaring issue and frankly has been lingering ever since Kap started and something will have to be done about that.
  • Another thing about Kap today was he seemed to have preferred to stay in the pocket longer than before. He seemed a little reluctant to start the scramble once the plays broke down. Personally, I didn't like it, I felt at times he left it too late to scramble and was stuffed. I would have preferred to have him play more instinctually like he did before. You can still make throws even if you are on a scramble and it will keep your options open.
  • Another thing to note about the QB run was I felt we could have schemed a lot better with the protection. The blocking on the edge today just wasn't sufficient nor effective to give Kap a legit chance on a designed run.
  • I didn't have a problem with the Pistol and the fakes other than that they just weren't done in a polished way. We had the same problem last year when there were miscommunication issues on the handoff in syncing with the RB. If is going to be on the left then make it on the left and if is going to be on the right then make it on the right. If the opposing D is already paying hightened attention on the handoff, you got to make the fakes perfect. RG3 and Alfred Morris do it really well. We need to perfect that.
  • Also, since the Packers stuffed our run game today, I felt at times we wasted too many downs trying to run the ball which resulted in a lot of 3rd and longs and thus hampered our 3rd down conversion somewhat.
Originally posted by jreff22:
So who is the #2 WR?

Vernon.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fip24:
1) this O would be impossible to stop if Crabs was healthy. With that said, we need someone to step up in the #2 wr spot. I would go w Patton

2) I thought the d played pretty well today. I don't think enough is being said about the game our CB's played. There weren't very many wide open WR ( some tough catches made by Nelson).

3) Whitner made a huge hustle play by racing back to keep Cobb from getting out of bounds on the last drive. With that said, I'm still not nuts about donte's game. He seems to make a lot of flashy plays/hits but only after he has given up a big play( not talking about the Cobb play, just in general)

4) I am a but nervous that we are going to go away from designed runs for Kaep.. I do think that is an essential part of the O

5) the Niners O line did not run block well at all today

6) Eric Reid looked like a stud. The kids hits hard all of the time. IMO he will be a huge upgrade over dashon by years upgrade

Yep going away from the QB run to me was a mistake. It would basically mean one less thing to worry about for the opposing D. We have to keep all options open which will make the fakes far more effective. Instead of having to guess where the ball is with 3 different possibilities of RB run, QB run and play action pass, they only had to take care of just 2 things.
Share 49ersWebzone