There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Impressions after today's game

We enter each season with so many questions and game one is our first chance to get some real answers. Here is what struck me the most today:

1. Anquan Boldin is the truth. He was tough, reliable, and smart when the play broke down. The play where Kap rolled out to his right and found him open for a first down was quintessential Boldin. He was covered at first, recognized Kap's movement and wiggled free by stepping slightly to the left. It didn't look like much but those are the plays that keep drives alive. As wonderful as it would be to have Boldin and Crabtree out there together, I still think Boldin would be getting most of the targets.

2. Eric Reid played very well. When Rogers stepped up and ran it up the middle Whitner was there to stop him just before the first down marker. Reid came flying in and stopped him five yards shorter. Reid tackled well, hit like a ton of bricks, and gained plenty of confidence today. I feel much better about the FS situation today.

3. The offensive line looked shaky today. Matthews was in the backfield all day and there was no push in the run game. I blame the run game issues a bit on the game plan. It seemed like Roman and Harbaugh decided to make the Packers eat their words that the focus was all on the passing game. The running plays they tried in the first half were all delay sweeps or stretch plays. That played right into the Packers game plan. They were already spread wide to defend the read option. The only successful running plays were when Gore or Hunter got the ball and quickly hit the hole. The Packers have plenty of size upfront, but the pursuit was coming late if lanes were open. Let's see some off tackle dives next week.

4. Vernon and Kaepernick have definitely worked on their chemistry. Kap seems to key in on the receivers he trusts. That may come back to bite him as teams will look to shut Boldin down early. His connection with Vernon will go a long way to keeping defenses honest. The key next week will be to get Williams, McDonald, and even Moore involved early. Seattle might be the best team in the league at taking a receiver out of the game.

5. Speaking of McDonald, his catch over the middle made me think we were in for something special with him. After he dropped the next one thrown to him Kap never looked his way again. Still, his skill set will definitely come in handy throughout the season. What impressed me about him is that he doesn't seem to have a lot of wasted motion. He goes from catch to moving up field very quickly. His size/speed combo is also very impressive. He's not going to get stood up by too many safeties in this league. I'd love to see him lined up on the other side of the line from Vernon and have Vernon run a seam route with Vance cutting across the middle to occupy the space left by the double team following VD.

6. Defensively I thought there were times when the pass rush vanished. Rogers can do that to teams, so I'm not worried yet. Still, it is obvious that our secondary won't win too many games on their own. The front seven will have to be dominant for us to shut teams down. That's not to say that our corners played badly. I thought Nnamdi jammed his receiver well and had good coverage on most of the receptions he gave up.

7. I am curious to see how LaMichael James does as the returner when he gets back. Kyle Williams was solid but unspectacular as the PR. We didn't see Cox return many as the KR. I just want to see our returners scare some teams. Right now they are just there to not fumble.

8. The biggest takeaway is that Kaepernick definitely has greatness. I know we all realized this during the playoffs last year, but Flacco proved that a good quarterback can be great in a small sample size. What we saw today was a carry over that bodes well for the season. Kaepernick beat a good team playing well. He beat them almost by himself and he beat them with his arm. We had no running game and he is included in that. The great ones simply win.

P.S. I know Marvin usually does a topic like this and he always has more insights than I do. If Marvin does his usual post and the mods decide to merge mine, I would take that as a compliment
Added this to the game day thread but will post here. By the way nice post.

-Tony Jerod-Eddie was active and played today. Unless Tukuafu has an injury we don't know about seems like he will be the player cut when Dobbs gets back.
-Seems like they are trying to work Cox in on kickoffs but not many chances with Mathasay (sp?) booming them out. Williams might not hold onto the job much longer. Fine by me I think Cox or Patton give us more home run potential anyway. We will see.
-Kap has to work on his play clock awareness.
-Need to stop faking the handoff on read option every play. Isn't as effective when done nearly every play. Also, many times on wrong side on hand off or fake.
-Less jumbo
-Reid looks good, nice ST tackle as well. Just one missed tackle I think
-Boldin looks great but we need Crabtree for the playoffs
-More McDonald (just has to hit the jugs machine and he will be great #2)
-More Patton....Kyle Williams... We will see but don't think he is a true #2. He needs to step up, can't expect Boldin/VD to have 300 yards every game.
-More Hunter...fresher legs... I know game one but more rotating...not a knock on Gore at all
-Defensive line didnt get much pressure late in the game. Definitely could use Carradine/Dial, probably blitz a little bit more when not getting pressure
-Aldon took over for Ahmad's offsides problem and then proceeds to stand there on a free play like Brooks does. Brooks lined up offsides on 3rd down luckily they didnt snap it and he got back..
-I know it's game one but way to many penalties and some dumb penalties at that. Under Harbaugh penalties have been plenty but at least we are winning.
-Roman conservative in red zone and at varies times... a lot of runs up the middle

As for the thread I like having an after the game discussion thread. Can always use something like this until Marvin posts his tomorrow and then merge if they have to. Game day thread kind of dies right after the game.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM ]
Great points
Nice post, Karma! I wouldn't mind weekly breakdowns from you and Marvin. The more quality posts, the better.
Good post.

For the 1st game we did well. Definitely need to work on a number of things but it's something very positive to build off of.

That was Reid's first game. WOW! Didn't miss a beat w/out Goldson.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
a win and no serious injuries--nice.
Another point I'd put is our open-field tackling. It was not good today. Reid came up and made a few great stops, but our secondary, in particular, did not have a good tackling day. Bowman even missed a key tackle that allowed Lacy to get inside the 5 yard line on a screen pass.

Not worried, however. The Packers have some solid receivers. Just pointing it out is all.
Haven't seen it or read it yet but play clock management was horrible. No, HORRIBLE. This crap shouldn't happen for Kaep anymore. He needs to read faster. This junk is costing us timeouts that will eventually cost us games.

Thought the play calling on O and D went a little bland or brain dead a few times.

Boldin? If that is what a 6th round pick gets up, I have no issue trading guys we will eventually cut for 7's.

False start penalties at home? WTF? That craps happens in road games, NOT at home. Don't care if you are lining up against Fabio Matthews.

We beat a good team, but you sure can tell when a team doesn't play their starters much during the preseason. I'm not worried about the secondary. We played Rodgers and the Packers!
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Added this to the game day thread but will post here.
-Tony Jerod-Eddie was active and played today. Unless Tukuafu has an injury we don't know about seems like he will be the player cut when Dobbs gets back.
-Seems like they are trying to work Cox in on kickoffs but not many chances with Mathasay (sp?) booming them out. Williams might not hold onto the job much longer. Fine by me I think Cox or Patton give us more home run potential anyway. We will see.
-Kap has to work on his play clock awareness.
-Need to stop faking the handoff on read option every play. Isn't as effective when done nearly every play. Also, many times on wrong side on hand off or fake.
-Less jumbo
-Reid looks good, nice ST tackle as well. Just one missed tackle I think
-Boldin looks great but we need Crabtree for the playoffs
-More McDonald (just has to hit the jugs machine and he will be great #2)
-More Patton....Kyle Williams... We will see but don't think he is a true #2. He needs to step up, can't expect Boldin/VD to have 300 yards every game.
-More Hunter...fresher legs... I know game one but more rotating...not a knock on Gore at all
-Defensive line didnt get much pressure late in the game. Definitely could use Carradine/Dial, probably blitz a little bit more when not getting pressure
-Aldon took over for Ahmad's offsides problem and then proceeds to stand there on a free play like Brooks does. Brooks lined up offsides on 3rd down luckily they didnt snap it and he got back..
-Roman conservative in red zone and at varies times... a lot of runs up the middle

As for the thread I like having an after the game discussion thread. Can always use something like this until Marvin posts his tomorrow and then merge if they have to. Game day thread kind of dies right after the game.

To respond to a few of your points:

• I have been saying it for weeks. Tony Jerod-Eddie will stick with this team. He has improved dramatically from last year and I think he is definitely ahead of Tukuafu. Stupar might get cut before Tukuafu to make room for Dobbs, but I think Dobbs and Tukuafu will be gone when Carradine and Dial are ready.
  • I agree completely with the clock awareness. That is one weakness that has carried over fom last year.
  • Hunter looks MUCH better than I thought he would, but don't underestimate what Gore brought today. I still think this is Gore's last year with the team. It only makes sense when you look at the talent we have at the position and the contract extensions we have coming, but Gore had about four runs today that would have been no gains for anyone else, but he managed to squirt through for five. I have never seen a guy get something out of nothing like Gore.
Boone played a great game
Nice post. The one thing I would argue is that I thought our pass pro was stellar. Sure there were plays Mathews made it into the backfield, but that's the nature of playing against a premier pass rusher, for the most part Kap had plenty of time to throw down the field. Run blocking on the other hand was a big problem. I don't know if it's going against very large interior linemen or maybe we have a week link in Gooden, but I felt we got zero interior push. It was really weird seeing GB shut down our rushing attack. Although, next week I think it'll be quite a different story. I don't feel that SEA has those mountainous linemen that GB had and we should be able to gouge them pretty good.
Not set on Asomuhga.
In defense of McDonald, Kaepernick absolutely launched the ball to him from 10 feet away. He would've caught the ball if it had a little touch. No need to kill a mosquito with a bazooka.
Way too many penalties. We gave Rodgers way too many chances. Shouldnt have been this close, but the Packers are a decentteam so Ill be happy with the W. No turnovers was a plus too.
Want to see a little more PT for Marlon Moore.