There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lets take a look towards the future, 2014 to be precise (Webzone exclusive)

I think Kaep will get something similar to Flacco - 6 year $120 million.
Gore will not be on the team next year. Sorry fellas. The Lattimore pick was to replace Gore. His salary is way too high. The days of high paid RB's is over unless you are truly a generational player like AP.

We can field an entire productive RB corps for the same price tag as Gore's salary.

With regard to Iupati, he is replaceable. He is a good player, but not a dominant player. We paid our OT's, which is where our money should be spent on the OL. Frankly, I would extend Boone. He is far more valuable than Iupati, because he plays the OG position every bit as well as Iupati and is also our first swing tackle and plays the OT position well too. I would look at drafting another OG next year to groom, or maybe Looney plays out. Either way, OG is not a position to pay high dollar for unless the player is dominant, which Iupati is not.

Rogers is gone, period.

Crabs is not a dominant player either. He is gone.

With the depth at (gasp) WR now, there is simply no reason to pay top dollar for a WR that can't separate and doesn't command double teams.

Keap is priority #1, Aldon Smith is #2.

If Dorsey plays out he will be priority #3.

Gore and Rogers being cut makes room for Keap. The lapse of J. Smith makes room for Aldon Smith. We already have room for Dorsey. With Crabs gone, look for a move for a true #1 vet WR option in 2015.

We are set up for a dynasty, but the rest of our money needs to be spent on impact skill position players and use our many draft picks to find quality players for OL/DB depth or even starters.
[ Edited by bigwads on Sep 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM ]
Originally posted by bigwads:
Gore will not be on the team next year. Sorry fellas. The Lattimore pick was to replace Gore. His salary is way too high. The days of high paid RB's is over unless you are truly a generational player like AP.

We can field an entire productive RB corps for the same price tag as Gore's salary.

With regard to Iupati, he is replaceable. He is a good player, but not a dominant player. We paid our OT's, which is where our money should be spent on the OL. Frankly, I would extend Boone. He is far more valuable than Iupati, because he plays the OG position every bit as well as Iupati and is also our first swing tackle and plays the OT position well too. I would look at drafting another OG next year to groom, or maybe Looney plays out. Either way, OG is not a position to pay high dollar for unless the player is dominant, which Iupati is not.

Rogers is gone, period.

With the depth at (gasp) WR now, there is simply no reason to pay top dollar for a WR that can't separate and doesn't command double teams.

Gore and Rogers being cut makes room for Keap. The lapse of J. Smith makes room for Aldon Smith. We already have room for Dorsey. With Crabs gone, look for a move for a true #1 vet WR option in 2015.

We are set up for a dynasty, but the rest of our money needs to be spent on impact skill position players and use our many draft picks to find quality players for OL/DB depth or even starters.
You are right in terms of Gore's salary. However his deal is up in 2014. I think they just let the deal expire. And though Marcus Lattimore will be ready next season, it doesn't mean he's fully ready to step on and replace Gore. I think 2015 is the year they run with Hunter/Lattimore/James.
Originally posted by azninersfan:
Awesome work.

I have some comments / disagreements on a few things:
1) Kap. If we win the SuperBowl, and Kap plays well, he's going to command a larger contract IMO... 18-20mil.
2) Aldon. I don't think we can keep Aldon for $10m... i think we will need to pay him more unless his legal troubles get worse... in which case we may not want to keep him. I think he's in Clay Mathews territory as you stated, 13mil. Not sure what Kap and Aldon in those kinds of salary figures does to our capspace but i gotta think we're not going to have a ton of room without some major salary cuts.
3) Boldin and Manningham, i really don't think we keep both unless Manningham is veteran minimum or close to it and Boldin comes super cheap. Otherwise, i think we're only going to keep 1 of the two. I know our future WR looks weak right now, but don't think we have money to keep Boldin around (with a healthy Crabtree) and Patton hopefully coming up strong. Boldin will be an expensive luxury.

Agree with everything else. I love the Vernon extension.

We need to draft secondary and WR next year to replace Boldin and/or Manningham, Williams, Brown, Whitner and Nnamdi.
Also need to Daniels to develop into reliable #2 so we don't have to sign an expensive vet (vet making anything more than the minimum) to backup Kap... and can draft another cheap young guy in the later rounds to be the 3rd QB.

AB,
You did not mention it, but do you see Gore in danger of getting cut / traded / asked for pay cut? If no injuries, we have Hunter, James, and hopefully a recovered Lattimore in the depth chart with Gore. I can see a situation where a fully recovered Lattimore and maybe even Hunter can earn equal playing time with Gore. At 6 million, Gore would be an expensive luxury in a 3-back backfield, not to mention LaMichael James (who will hopefully progress and earn time also). That's a crowded backfield and in those situations, its usually not good for the guy making $6M especially when we're trying to keep our star LG and WR around.

I dont think Gore is in danger of being cut or traded, he will restructure his deal.

I just dont see the 49ers paying 13M for Aldon, that's a lot of money, and the cap is tight, I think Aldon and Kap give us help, and wont be selfish.
How much is the salary for the #1 overall draft pick and can we keep any of our good players under the cap?
Originally posted by NFLBuddah:
How much is the salary for the #1 overall draft pick and can we keep any of our good players under the cap?

lol what do you mean "our," Ramsfan?
Originally posted by NFLBuddah:

The #1 pick should look like this.

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Eric%20Fisher&Position=LT&Team=Chiefs

And why would we have the #1 pick?
Originally posted by bigwads:

Rogers is gone, period.

Completely disagree about Iupati.