There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lets take a look towards the future, 2014 to be precise (Webzone exclusive)

Originally posted by matt49er:
wow man excellent work AB!!!!!!!!

Thanks a ton bud, appreciate it. What may of hurt was Justin's extension, but it was a must to get hm extended, and get some cap space this year. We can gain a ton of room. We could also, if he plays well, extend Baldwin, and drop his base to the league minimum.
Originally posted by Karma:
AB, this is fantastic, as always. I have been thinking about 2014 for the last few weeks and your insights are interesting. Here are a few thoughts:

Carlos Rogers number MUST come down. He will either be restructured or cut. Because of that, he might be the only restructured deal. Constantly asking players to take a pay cut might end up negatively affecting the team down the road. No one will want to sign a contract if they know the terms will be renegotiated in a year.

Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, and Iupati are essential contracts. I don't hold out much hope of resigning anyone else. Yes, it would suck to lose Boldin, Crabtree, and Manningham in the same year, but I would rather draft three decent-to-mediocre WRs than take my chances with a weakened OL or no pass rush.

The two units that are going to be dramatically different in the next two years will be the wide receivers and the cornerbacks. Between Boldin, Crabtree and Manningham, the best we can hope for is that one of them is around for more than a year. Crabtree is the only one that makes sense, but we may not have the money. If I am not mistaken, Patton is the only WR signed past next year. Other than Crabtree, this doesn't actually worry me. I like the guys we have, but new blood is always fun.An elite QB and a dominant OL can make good receivers great.

In the secondary Brown, Whitner, Nnamdi, Brock, and perhaps Rogers will most likely be gone. Culliver and Reid will be the guys to build this unit around. That's scary for a dominant defense, but the front seven will make the transition easier.

Yep. Patton is signed thru 2016. Crabs 2014, Boldin and MM 2013, same as Moore and Williams. Baldwin 2014. We need to decide on the WRs to be kept. Crabs will be a tough one. We dont know what he is thinking. Extend or play out deal, and cash in or extend soon.
Originally posted by bigmur49:
I am in awe once again at your ability to break this down. It makes my brain hurt to read it, let alone try to figure it out.

At the end of the day if you tell me we can keep Aldon and Kap and it doesn't mean huge losses elsewhere I am good. I love Crabtree but I don't see him taking any less than the highest amount some bottom feeder looking for a marquee name will be willing to pay.

My worry is Crabtree will want a Mike Wallace deal, $60M, thats a lot for a guy with 1 awesome yr, and a couple average years in his career. And he seems injury prone at times. I hope they find a way to keep him. He is valuable.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
I do totally agree Kaepernick is going to be the priority. The 49ers are set up to back up any other spot if / when the time comes, but Kap is so unique and so good at what he does, that would be impossible to replace in the short term.

My greatest fear is that if Aldon repeats his 15 or 20 sack performance - and stays out of legal trouble - that he's going to command a way bigger deal than $63 million. Maybe even something along the lines of biggest defensive contract ever. To be 3 years in and at 50+ sacks....teams would pay $100 million for that.

Kap and Aldon are the biggest priorities. I believe Aldon's decline was due that unknown injury at the time that no one knew of. Plus Justin helped out tremendously.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Always a great read, AB. It's going to be rough seeing either Iupati or Crabtree go. I'm not looking forward to seeing them go, but it'll be interesting to see how each plays into the future of the 49ers offense.

Thanks bud. I hate the idea of letting Crabs and/or Iupati go. I would hope they keep Iupati. He is a key cog of our O-Line.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Aw no one ever reads pinned posts lol, move it back down

Lol this

Nice work tho AB, however I wonder how this will change it Kaep becomes Superbowl MVP and Aldon wins DPOY. We might have to cut everyone!

I think thats possible. I forget who, but NFLN had Kap as MVP, one guy said. May of been Willie McGinnest.
Aw no one ever reads pinned posts lol, move it back down

I know, but it's a honor to get a post pinned. I have no issue with it being either way.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
In 2014 we will have a new stadium that should bring us in more revenue. Do you have any idea on how much more money that will add to our salary cap? Also, when will that money be available to the salary cap? 1 year after the opening of the stadium, i.e. 2015?
Originally posted by fryet:
In 2014 we will have a new stadium that should bring us in more revenue. Do you have any idea on how much more money that will add to our salary cap? Also, when will that money be available to the salary cap? 1 year after the opening of the stadium, i.e. 2015?

Probably around 2015 or 2016 is when the cap should hopefully jump up more than $1-$5M a yr. This flat cap is hurting teams big time, and players also.
Boy I wish we could get Aldon and Kap on the cheap like that. But...

Aldon thinks he is the best player in the NFL.
Kap is on more magazine covers and does more TV commercials than just about any other athlete in the world today.

Neither of these guys are signing for discount contracts. They are both going to get max deals, with us or with someone else.
Hopefully when all is said and done we don't lose too much of our elite talent and if it appears we will, I can see this FO making that trade.
Personally, I think we continue the youth movement. I think we look for good players who we can use to not only replace those leaving, but replace them at a great price. Guys I expect to go:

Rogers
Brown
Brock
Asomugha
Whitner
Manningham
Boldin (use that money for Crabtree instead, and draft a receiver and/or continue to develop Baldwin)
Goodwin
Snyder

If I had to make an early-season potential needs list for the draft in 2014, it'd look like this:

1. S (We had Reid practice both SS and FS, so depending on who's available, we could take the best safety at either spot).
2. CB
3. WR
4. OL depth
5. DL depth (you can always use great DL potential, trenches are always of extreme value).
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 5, 2013 at 4:46 PM ]
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
They really need to stop b******tting and raise the cap, QB's are getting paid so much
So Crabs looks to be a goner.....
Originally posted by jreff22:
So Crabs looks to be a goner.....

signed by the cowboys