There are 161 users in the forums

Regarding other teams targeting Kaep to injure him this year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kray28:
The read option isn't dead....the defense has to make a conscious adjustment to it...which leaves it vulnerable to other types of offensive tactics. When team's pick their poison and say "No, I don't want Kap shredding my secondary for 400yds", then the read option will make sense again.

Exactly, the read option can be stopped by having a defender targeting the QB on every play. By doing this you open the defense up to a vertical attack witch Kap is also great at.

If you drop your D into coverage (which teams will have to do not to give up 400 yards passing) the read option and all running plays for that matter will be available again.

It is a pick you poison kind of situation, that is what makes a QB with Kap's skill set so dangerous.
Originally posted by kray28:
The read option isn't dead....the defense has to make a conscious adjustment to it...which leaves it vulnerable to other types of offensive tactics. When team's pick their poison and say "No, I don't want Kap shredding my secondary for 400yds", then the read option will make sense again.

Even if you put this game aside, and just look at last year, Kap has proven to be deadly from the pocket. We are more productive with him in the pocket than in the read-option. That one play against Green Bay is distorting reality. The read option was not that great for us last year. Greatly overrated.
The read-option will be quite effective against certain defenses this year i.e. Indy, Jax, NO, Tennessee, TB and the like.
Depends what you mean by going out to injure somebody. I don't believe any athlete really wants to injure anyone else, but what they do want is to make a huge play, a solid tackle, a big hit, etc. Keep in mind Matthew's job is to find and hit the QB and that's pretty much it.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Depends what you mean by going out to injure somebody. I don't believe any athlete really wants to injure anyone else, but what they do want is to make a huge play, a solid tackle, a big hit, etc. Keep in mind Matthew's job is to find and hit the QB and that's pretty much it.

You must have never seen Suh play.........especially today against the Vikings
[ Edited by jimrat on Sep 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone