There are 336 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Defensive Rotation - Are we going to see more of it?

Originally posted by 5280High:
Well Ian Williams and Dorsey seem to have earned the trust of Fangio so we will definitely rotate our NT. Williams also has displayed ability to get to the QB so he may be added to the rotation of Justin Smith and MacDonald when we are in 4 man fronts like nickel. It will be interesting to see if they sub in Lemonier for Brooks at times during those 4 man fronts. He displayed a great burst all preseason but Brooks is pretty damn good too... So while we may not rotate all that much in the beginning we will have the ability to rotate during the end of the season which is when we really need it anyways.

True! Technically though, Skuta is slated to back up Brooks while Lemonier is backing up Aldon. That said, I have little doubt when he is used, he'll be rushing from both spots. But I'm wondering if Skuta will be used as the primary backup at first since he can rush, play ILB and will be active b/c of his ST play.
I think it will depend on the opponent as well as conditions.

For inferior opponents logic would dictate a healthy dose of Dorsey and Dobbs. Watching Dorsey in PS he was a force and they were doubling him.

Hot days, same.

Long drives, a little bit.
Originally posted by thl408:
I definitely hope so and was a bit puzzled by the Parys trade. I thought he could play an occasional 1st or 2nd down to give Aldon a rest. They did go out and get Dorsey first thing in UFA and I don't think it was just to replace RJF's 5 snaps a game. They must have a bigger role planned for Dorsey. Then I hear that Lemon may not suit up for game 1 and it makes me wonder how deep the envisioned rotation will be.

It may just be that there is no set plan to rotate coming into a game and that it will be a play it by ear scenario. If it's an extended drive, then sub, otherwise the big dogs play the majority of the snaps. The "rotation" last season consisted of Tuka, RJF, and Haggins. A group of sub par subs. At least this year there are some serviceable bodies in Dobbs, Dorsey, Lemon.

I see Dorsey, Dobbs and Lemonier doing some subbing early and then maybe Carradine later in the year if he gets healthy. Soap (as a starter), RJF and the others they had last year really were kinda useless. Indy and Philly are going to look really stupid after paying Soap and RJF what they did.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Based on last season - we better.

We needed a DLine rotation last year and Baalke went out and built in to the off season acquisitions - FA & draft.

Now, those guys will need playing time to get better and get experience. Plus it will keep the stars fresh for the very long season ahead.

I sure hope they do much more rotation this season to keep everyone as healthy as possible.
We better have a rotation, if last year didn't let us know we need one then I'm puzzled why they wouldn't do it. Having both smiths hurt was a reason we lost the sb and was a huge reason why our defense fell off dramatically the final few games and the playoffs
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
We better have a rotation, if last year didn't let us know we need one then I'm puzzled why they wouldn't do it. Having both smiths hurt was a reason we lost the sb and was a huge reason why our defense fell off dramatically the final few games and the playoffs

We win the Super Bowl with them healthy. I truly believe that.
I think Dorsey will rotate in. He can play NT and DE. Plus, he's making quite a bit of money this year. Need to get something out of him.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We have to. I don't want to see any torn triceps and torn labrum this year. Cost us the Super Bowl victory....

or daggering leads that forced us to come from behind in most playoff games and late in the regular season last year
Within good health there will be more 3 and outs keeping the D fresh.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Within good health there will be more 3 and outs keeping the D fresh.

Yes.

1. Good Health
2. More 3 and outs
3. More take aways
4. better or opportune rotation
We should see a lot of roatations in the front 7, especially late in the season. Williams and Dorsey will be switching in and out on a daily basis while we put in Lemonier and Skuta when Aldon and Ahmad needs a breather, especially late in the season to prevent injuries like Aldon had. Hopefully carradine comes back during the season to start taking reps for Justin and RayMac.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Here is what one knowledge person had to say about defensive line rotation.

Ask about the fatigue of the 49ers' defense and particularly, the defensive line at the end of last season, and you will get an argument out of defensive line coach Jim Tomsula. "First of all the idea that people were worn out at the end of the season, I'm not going for that. I'm not going for that at all,"

Tomsula said his substitution pattern was based on a simple formula, as it will be this year.

First, if the defense is constantly forcing 3-and-outs, there won't be much subbing on the defensive line. "If the drives are longer, we sub," Tomsula said.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/08/11/49ers-jim-tomsula-talks-about-the-defensive-line-rotation/
What rhymes with Fangio? Yes or no.
Without a doubt. It will be even better when Tank and Dial get healthy on the d line.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Yes (IMO), but I don't think we'll need a lot of it. I liked Soap/RJF, but I like Ian's vast improvement/addition of Dorsey a lot more. We'll get to QBs quicker/more pressure this year... o-lines will have to do a lot more than just double team JS all day. IMO, I think Tank/Dial will get their feet wet enough (later) and on time for the playoffs. However, if Dobbs and Tuk (if still around) do what their suppose to do when rotated, then the rooks might ride pine all year.

Brooks/Willis/Bowman/A. smith/Lemonier/Wilhoite/Moody/Skuta... WTF More blitzing, perhaps......