There are 161 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Defensive Rotation - Are we going to see more of it?

This is the biggest question I have for this team - other than if Kap can continue on his trajectory to being one of the better QB's in the NFL - Will the Niners actually use some semblance of Defensive Rotation this year throughout the lineup? Will we see our defensive line actually get some rest this year, or will Justin/Aldon have to play every down of every game, get injured and pretty much be half the players they were for most of the season in the playoffs and Superbowl? It wasn't just them. I feel like a lot of our defense was just worn out by the Superbowl and we came out completely flat. Will we see more defensive rotation this year?
[ Edited by Method on Sep 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM ]
I definitely hope so and was a bit puzzled by the Parys trade. I thought he could play an occasional 1st or 2nd down to give Aldon a rest. They did go out and get Dorsey first thing in UFA and I don't think it was just to replace RJF's 5 snaps a game. They must have a bigger role planned for Dorsey. Then I hear that Lemon may not suit up for game 1 and it makes me wonder how deep the envisioned rotation will be.

It may just be that there is no set plan to rotate coming into a game and that it will be a play it by ear scenario. If it's an extended drive, then sub, otherwise the big dogs play the majority of the snaps. The "rotation" last season consisted of Tuka, RJF, and Haggins. A group of sub par subs. At least this year there are some serviceable bodies in Dobbs, Dorsey, Lemon.
I hope so ...especially on the D-Line when Carradine and Dial come back.....we gotta keep Ray Mac and Cowboy somewhat fresh in the 4th qtr
It would be nice to have a good sub rotation by the Colts game (game 3). That Thursday game with the Ram's, with travel, will be brutal. Reminds me of the Baltimore Thursday night game ffrom a couple of years ago.
Based on last season - we better.

We needed a DLine rotation last year and Baalke went out and built in to the off season acquisitions - FA & draft.

Now, those guys will need playing time to get better and get experience. Plus it will keep the stars fresh for the very long season ahead.
Other than Dorsey & Dobbs, I doubt it; and not much from them. From what Fangio said, it sounds like both Tank/Dial will be shut down for the year and even if they do come back, he has no idea about their ability and he isn't inclined to sub a guy just to sub a guy...the sub needs to be quality and have little drop off, if any, from the starter. Period. So, no. I don't. That said, I do expect to see more rotation at the OLB position.
Originally posted by thl408:
I definitely hope so and was a bit puzzled by the Parys trade. I thought he could play an occasional 1st or 2nd down to give Aldon a rest. They did go out and get Dorsey first thing in UFA and I don't think it was just to replace RJF's 5 snaps a game. They must have a bigger role planned for Dorsey. Then I hear that Lemon may not suit up for game 1 and it makes me wonder how deep the envisioned rotation will be.

It may just be that there is no set plan to rotate coming into a game and that it will be a play it by ear scenario. If it's an extended drive, then sub, otherwise the big dogs play the majority of the snaps. The "rotation" last season consisted of Tuka, RJF, and Haggins. A group of sub par subs. At least this year there are some serviceable bodies in Dobbs, Dorsey, Lemon.

Wait where did you hear Lemonier might not play game 1?
Originally posted by 49ersss:

Someone on this board stated that Matt Miocco said it in a recent interview. It was news to me. It's in the GB pre-game thread.
Maybe more so in the second half of the season.

Someone on this board stated that Matt Miocco said it in a recent interview. It was news to me. It's in the GB pre-game thread.

Hm, that's interesting. All the moves in the past few weeks indicate that Harbaalke seem to have a lot of confidence in Lemonier. I really hope we get to see him against Green Bay, especially with the Aldon thing going on.

Hm, that's interesting. All the moves in the past few weeks indicate that Harbaalke seem to have a lot of confidence in Lemonier. I really hope we get to see him against Green Bay, especially with the Aldon thing going on.

Agreed. If we are talking about an edge pass rusher rotation, then Lemon needs to suit up and be used. I know Skuta is a versatile player and all, but he doesn't jump off the screen as a dynamic pass rusher the way Lemon does.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I hope so ...especially on the D-Line when Carradine and Dial come back.....we gotta keep Ray Mac and Cowboy somewhat fresh in the 4th qtr

Are they both coming back this year?
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

Are they both coming back this year?

Probably neither will.
We have to. I don't want to see any torn triceps and torn labrum this year. Cost us the Super Bowl victory....
Well Ian Williams and Dorsey seem to have earned the trust of Fangio so we will definitely rotate our NT. Williams also has displayed ability to get to the QB so he may be added to the rotation of Justin Smith and MacDonald when we are in 4 man fronts like nickel. It will be interesting to see if they sub in Lemonier for Brooks at times during those 4 man fronts. He displayed a great burst all preseason but Brooks is pretty damn good too... So while we may not rotate all that much in the beginning we will have the ability to rotate during the end of the season which is when we really need it anyways.