There are 298 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013-14 Season Weekly Rankings Thread

Our best tackle is playing right guard.
Originally posted by crabman82:
i have a hard time with this site. i appreciate them trying to come up with a system to further evaluate guys. but i also have a hard time imagining them knowing what every single player is supposed to be doing on every single play. i think after watching film, they think they know, but do they really?

So far, for the past 4 years that I've been following them, they've been right on the money. There's not a single guy you can go, look back at their rankings and say "no way, that's so wrong, that isn't right." Their numbers don't lie, if a guy is truly performing well, they'll reflect it, if he's performing poorly, the numbers will reflect it too. Whitner has been playing well this season, I didn't need to see their rankings to determine that, but consistent as usual, they've got him ranked highly among safeties after ranking him pretty low last season. Same deal with Iupati and Staley, both were ranked at the top of the NFL last season but are now ranked much lower which correlates with their performance thus far. Bowman has clearly been outplaying Willis this season and the numbers reflect that. Boone has been the 49ers most effective offensive lineman, once again, the numbers reflect that.


People get mad and cry about "stats", but can't seem to find a single situation where PFF is actually wrong. They have no bias, the numbers are what they are and they tend to be pretty accurate if you're looking for a snapshot portrayal of how a team is doing.
Originally posted by outside4949:
Our best tackle is playing right guard.

In general run plays going towards the right side of the line have been very successful so far while run plays going left have been........
Originally posted by bzborow1:
I think the 49ers are fight
Any mention of Eric Reid on PFT? It certainly appears to my eye that he is playing well.

So far they have him playing average, his numbers are basically neutral. They have him ranked quite a bit higher than the guy he replaced...Goldson, so I'll take it.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by crabman82:
i have a hard time with this site. i appreciate them trying to come up with a system to further evaluate guys. but i also have a hard time imagining them knowing what every single player is supposed to be doing on every single play. i think after watching film, they think they know, but do they really?

So far, for the past 4 years that I've been following them, they've been right on the money. There's not a single guy you can go, look back at their rankings and say "no way, that's so wrong, that isn't right." Their numbers don't lie, if a guy is truly performing well, they'll reflect it, if he's performing poorly, the numbers will reflect it too. Whitner has been playing well this season, I didn't need to see their rankings to determine that, but consistent as usual, they've got him ranked highly among safeties after ranking him pretty low last season. Same deal with Iupati and Staley, both were ranked at the top of the NFL last season but are now ranked much lower which correlates with their performance thus far. Bowman has clearly been outplaying Willis this season and the numbers reflect that. Boone has been the 49ers most effective offensive lineman, once again, the numbers reflect that.


People get mad and cry about "stats", but can't seem to find a single situation where PFF is actually wrong. They have no bias, the numbers are what they are and they tend to be pretty accurate if you're looking for a snapshot portrayal of how a team is doing.

i've noticed guys are either all in on it or skeptical like myself. to each their own, not my cup of tea though, i just use the old fashioned eye ball test.
TOP 3 PLAYERS AT VARIOUS POSITIONS IN THE NFL CURRENTLY ACCORDING TO PFF



These are the guys who PFF has ranked the highest at their respective positions thus far


QB

1. Peyton Manning
2. Phillip Rivers
3. Matt Ryan

RB

1. Lesean McCoy
2. Darren Sproles
3. Reggie Bush

WR

1. Antonio Brown
2. Larry Fitzgerald
3. Nate Washington

TE
1. Jordan Cameron
2. Antonio Gates
3. Jimmy Graham

3-4 DE

1. JJ Watt
2. Cameron Jordan
3. Kyle D Williams

3-4 OLB
1. Justin Houston
2. Jabaal Sheard
3. Tamba Hali

CB
1. Alterraun Verner
2. Darrelle Revis
3. Aqib Talib

S
1. James Ihedigo
2. Troy Polamalu
3. Barry Church




The Top Rookies at each position


QB-Geno Smith-Ranked 26th among all NFL QB's
RB-Giovani Bernard-Ranked 5th among all NFL RB's
WR-DeAndre Hopkins-Ranked 24th among all NFL WR's
TE-Zach Ertz-Ranked 12th among all NFL TE's
CB-Xavier Rhodes-18th among all NFL CB's
S-JJ Wilcox-Ranked 15th among all NFL safeties
I think most of our o-line woes have come from lack of ability to execute the read-option, or throw the ball 20% more than the run. -I think the moment we switch back to our bread and butter, things will pick up for everybody.

-Very impressed though with Anthony Davis, dude was a 'problem' child in the beginning with penalties, now he's totally invisible (in a good way) on the o-line.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

Meh. PFF does a great job of portraying what is going on with a team. You can look at PFF rankings at the end of each season and you KNOW who played well and who didn't, because they review every snap, there's nowhere to hide.

meh. the only ranking that matters is W/L record and where it seats the team in the division and conference.
Originally posted by boast:
meh. the only ranking that matters is W/L record and where it seats the team in the division and conference.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I think most of our o-line woes have come from lack of ability to execute the read-option, or throw the ball 20% more than the run. -I think the moment we switch back to our bread and butter, things will pick up for everybody.

-Very impressed though with Anthony Davis, dude was a 'problem' child in the beginning with penalties, now he's totally invisible (in a good way) on the o-line.


I think the OL has been out of sorts because they've been asked to do a lot of stuff that doesn't really come naturally to them. The entire OL is basically built for power-running, smash the ball in from the I-formation, run guys over, that sort of thing. I don't think they've been entirely comfortable with the gimmick offense and the numbers reflect that....all with the exception of Boone who has been on another level thus far.

If you look at Seattle, their OL in every aspect has been terrible this season, their offense in general has been lousy, but they've got the second ranked defense which has carried them through. KC is similar, OL has struggled, offense has been so-so, defense has been the best in the NFL.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Individual Results



Best Games


Boldin vs Green Bay-5.0


Kaepernick vs Green Bay-1.6

Gore vs Indy-2.4

Alex Boone vs Indy-2.4

Bruce Miller vs St Louis-3.0

Anthony Davis vs Indy/Green Bay-2.4

Ray McDonald vs Indy-2.4

Glenn Dorsey vs St Louis-4.8

Bowman vs St Louis-5.5

Aldon Smith vs Seattle-3.6

Whitner vs Seattle-2.4

Staley vs St Louis-6.8


49ers WORST PERFORMANCES

Asomugha vs Seattle -3.9

Carlos Rogers vs Indy -1.5

Justin Smith vs St Louis -1.5

Craig Dahl vs Seattle -2.0

Kaepernick vs Seattle -4.8

Boldin vs Seattle -3.2

Staley vs Seattle -3.0

Kyle Williams vs Indy -2.0

Mike Iupati vs Seattle -6.3

Bruce Miller vs Seattle -3.2

How in the hell is Indy the best game for Gore?

Also dont agree in Osgood, he has been good for us, the rest is about right IMO.
Those feels when Josh Morgan is currently doing better than any 49ers WR, especially when it comes to run-blocking.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
How in the hell is Indy the best game for Gore?

Also dont agree in Osgood, he has been good for us, the rest is about right IMO.


Because he was breaking off chunks off yardage wholesale. It may not have been his best game statistically, but performance wise it was. Imagine what he could have done had they not kept taking the ball out of his hands.


Also as far as Osgood, he's been mediocre on special teams, I looked more closely and they gave him a -3.0 for punt return blocking against the Rams, meaning he basically crapped the bed as far as that goes.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM ]
Our run defense hasn't seemed as stout and I was thinking that it was because we don't have that true nose tackle that plugs s**t up. However, apparently Glenn Dorsey has been playing very well and holding his own, so I guess it looks like perhaps Justin Smith is regressing? I haven't really seen his dominance out there.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Our run defense hasn't seemed as stout and I was thinking that it was because we don't have that true nose tackle that plugs s**t up. However, apparently Glenn Dorsey has been playing very well and holding his own, so I guess it looks like perhaps Justin Smith is regressing? I haven't really seen his dominance out there.

Dorsey and McDonald have been the best 49ers defensive lineman thus far. McDonald has basically played the same from last season. Dorsey is a BIG step up from Soap and Justin Smith has been playing basically average, regressing from last season which regressed from 2011.


Overall in the NFL, PFF has the 49ers ranked 6th against the run, 17th in pass coverage, 7th in pass rush and near the bottom of the league in penalties.


In terms of passing offense, 49ers are right near the bottom, only ahead of Jacksonville and Buffalo, with the NY Giants close in front. Rushing offense they are in the middle of the pack, 15th or so.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 4, 2013 at 10:30 AM ]