LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 201 users in the forums

Brian Jennings & Upcoming Big Name Signing(s)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This thread really isn't about Jennings, but the Jennings move inspired the thread. I have to wonder, in a year were we are considered Super Bowl contenders, if not favorites, why would we cut Jennigs? It certainly isn't a cap move, because we are currently well under the ceiling. It possible its a personnel decision based on roster spots, but couldn't we have put Jennings replacement on the practice squad another year (I dont know the answer to that) if we liked him? So I guess that secretly (or not so secretly), I'm hoping the moves we are making are all in an effort to sign the next big extension before the season starts.

Shortly after Anthony Davis got extended a report was circulated that indicated we were in talks with Iupati. Could the Haralson and Jennings move be the final pieces of the puzzle that allows us to sign Iupati/Crabs/Brown?

It seems like the Niners have a history of extending big names right before the season starts, lets hope they dont break tradition and we hear one of our big names extended soon.

Or........

Maybe they just really like the noob and Jennings was expendable
Jennings is a 13 year vet. He cant be placed on the practice squad.

And the move was completely cap/money related. We saved 500,000.
Originally posted by Niners99:

I meant Jennings replacement going to the PS, not Jennings...lol

Also, you think $500k in the world of football is worth the stability a vet like Jennings brings durning a Super Bowl run?
Originally posted by sweetDwilly:

I meant Jennings replacement going to the PS, not Jennings...lol

Also, you think $500k in the world of football is worth the stability a vet like Jennings brings durning a Super Bowl run?

Yeah, its a longsnapper, and we have young guys to sign next year with the million dollars we're gonna save over this year and next from cutting Jennings.

The move was age related too. The 49ers could have replaced Jennings purely for cap reasons many times. Kyle Nelson, Pontbriand (sp?) were just a few guys brought in to supplant him but couldn't. McDermott won the job because he offers similar/equal performance for half the cost. Plus we have the LS position locked up for the next 15 years again.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
McDermott was one of the top long snappers in college football over the past few years. If a player like that falls in your lap for nothing when your own top tier LS is on the back end of his career and costs twice as much you go young and cheap and keep the faith that you made the right call simple as that.

Complete luck that McDermott was from UCLA, if he was in the SEC he probably would've just gone to camp with an team in the south. Now we have to be thrilled that he picked us and that he performed as well as Jennings did.
[ Edited by sfout on Sep 3, 2013 at 6:13 PM ]
Originally posted by sweetDwilly:
I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but 500K over the course of 4-5 years is $2-2.5M. On a $50M extension, that's 5% of the contract's cost. If you do that same thing 3-4 times, you've got 20% of an extension paid for. It adds up -- seriously.

To me, the move signals that the 49ers are supremely confident in McDermott's ability. I think they're so comfortable with him that they don't even view it as a gamble.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
jennings can set around like haley did in 98 and if the kid fails, we call up jennings. I do not think that will happen because i think the kid will do a good job. if he blows a snap or two, so be it, that is the price you pay for youth learning. it was the right call at the right time for all the right reasons
I'm sure Jennings will get signed by someone.

Gonna miss the psycho killer doe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdp42fYKFZ8
Get used to it. The guys we'll be dropping in the next few years will likely be much bigger names with likely less qualified replacements.

Donte Whitner, Carlos Rogers, Ahmed Brooks, Frank Gore, Michael Crabtree are all unlikely to be extended / maybe released (in the case of Rogers and Brooks) in the next few years.

We're going to need to give Kap 20 million a year and Aldon Smith over 10 million a year. The money has got to come from somewhere. Yeah, we really need to draft well if we want to keep this thing going.

Originally posted by azninersfan:
Get used to it. The guys we'll be dropping in the next few years will likely be much bigger names with likely less qualified replacements.

Donte Whitner, Carlos Rogers, Ahmed Brooks, Frank Gore, Michael Crabtree are all unlikely to be extended / maybe released (in the case of Rogers and Brooks) in the next few years.

We're going to need to give Kap 20 million a year and Aldon Smith over 10 million a year. The money has got to come from somewhere. Yeah, we really need to draft well if we want to keep this thing going.

I agree with you on a few players, Whitner is gone after 2013, his deal is up. Rogers needs to be pay cut or cut. Gore and Brooks are worth keeping. Brooks is underrated, he gets too much flak. He does it all, and everything asked of him. Gore wont get cut. He will redo his deal, give us flexibility and get Kap signed long term.

#1 priority, is if season goes great, we get Kap over 3000 yards, firing, gets near SB, we extend him, Gore helps out, even Vernon can, extend Vernon, keep Boldin, they can be Kap's favorite weapons. Crabtree I agree with, he likely bolts. Iupati needs to be retained. We could do it now, if Boldin or Vernon restructure/extension. Imagine getting 2 key guys locked up for the next 3 yrs at least. Maybe all 3. It wont hurt the cap. We could get Vernon to also lower his 2014 base, save some cash their.
Also If you ask me, You can take this for whatever you wish, I doubt Brown will get extended. No leverage either way. Cap room is tight.Unless someone steps up, Brown plays out his deal, and leaves to the highest bidder.

Same for Whitner, though I would like him back, or if Dahl steps up, let Whitner go. Draft a young kid to play with Reid, Spillman and Dahl.

McCoy is a goner in 2014, unless it's a 1yr vet credit deal.

Guys like Dobbs, Tukuafu are gone, maybe this year if Tank and Dial are healthy.

I see Boldin, Dawson, and MM are the best to keep. Dixon is replaceable. Hampton could fill the role, plus Lattimore is coming back, I hope slowly.
Share 49ersWebzone