There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How much info can the Packers get from Tolzien?

Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
The only info he could give them that worries me is players tendencies on certain routes and run plays. The Rams were keying on Boones tendencies and were able to diagnose run/pass before the snap. I know we hired Mangini specifically for this role and our coaching staff in general is Mensa smart but I remember reading somewhere that Smith used to consult Tolzien on if he was or wasn't telegraphing certain plays. On the other hand if I was Tolzien I would want a shot at playing QB and not just being used as an info whore.
Tolzien can thank the 49ers for the job he has now. Coaches just wanted to gain a little insight into how we work. It was bound to happen anyway
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,156
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
The only info he could give them that worries me is players tendencies on certain routes and run plays. The Rams were keying on Boones tendencies and were able to diagnose run/pass before the snap. I know we hired Mangini specifically for this role and our coaching staff in general is Mensa smart but I remember reading somewhere that Smith used to consult Tolzien on if he was or wasn't telegraphing certain plays. On the other hand if I was Tolzien I would want a shot at playing QB and not just being used as an info whore.
the defense still has to execute and I do not think they can. he is just lucky he still has a job in the nfl
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
lol there is no such thing as having a flashdrive for an ipad.

I guess you're not up-to-date on accessories for an iPad. Maybe you should take a look at:

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/IUSB-MINI.html
Originally posted by davidb:
I guess you're not up-to-date on accessories for an iPad. Maybe you should take a look at:

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/IUSB-MINI.html

How about the low tech way of e-mailing the file to yourself and downloading onto another computer???
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 12,705
Originally posted by DrHawkingThe12th:
Trent Dilfer said the intel former #49ers QB Scott Tolzien is providing the #Packers is VERY valuable ...

Dilfer, a former NFL QB and current ESPN analyst, said the brainy Tolzien can give Green Bay an edge. Tolzien was signed to Green Bay's practice Sunday after spending the past two seasons as the 49ers' third-string quarterback: "I wouldn't make it a blanket statement if you go and get somebody who was on the roster of the team you're playing it's a huge advantage," Dilfer said. "It has to be the right guy. I think if you're the Green Bay Packers and you want to be taken behind the veil, so to speak, of what the 49ers do, the best guy to get is Scott Tolzien. Because the whole reason he was on the 49ers' roster is because he was a smart guy. It wasn't because he was a highly talented player. There's tremendous advantage, especially when you play the 49ers, because so much of their success has come because of Greg Roman's new wrinkles that he's given to offensive football. The deception that he's implemented into this offense."

This could work for Tolzien in another fashion, as a part of the practice squad, he would be privy to GB's playbook as well. This motherf**ker might jump from practice squads indefinitely pocketing a cool mint along the way.
I don't think a practice squad QB is going to make the difference between us winning or losing. The Packers, and every other team, already knows what we do best. It's been on film for a while now. Tolzien can provide them some insight but I highly doubt they'll be able to recognize which exact play is called at a given moment.
Watching the game last night, Donkey's and dirty birds, the Al Michaels and Piss Colinsworthless, pointed out that the Ravens had players and intel on the Donkey offense. Peyton was using that knowledge against them, I bet you Jimmy is on to this tactic, it could work against the Pack if the relay on Tolzien's intel too much.
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Originally posted by davidb:
Unless the 49ers have put some kind of strong computer security in place, a player (who thinks he will be cut) could copy his playbook onto a flash drive and take it with him when he leaves.

A copy of the 49er playbook would be a valuable thing to have to "sell" to a new team.

I know I am looking at things from with dark, unethical point of view, but I think you have to think about the risks, when you choose to provide the players with iPads to hold the playbook.

I don't think so. I believe there are strict non-disclosure agreements attached to professional football (and other sports) contracts, and that the penalties for violating them are extremely severe. Otherwise, every time a player was traded from one team to another team he would bring along his former team's playbook. In other words, every coach would have every team's playbook, which is obviously not the case.

Plus the alternative is to have a paper playbook which can be photocopied anyway...
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Originally posted by davidb:
I guess you're not up-to-date on accessories for an iPad. Maybe you should take a look at:

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/IUSB-MINI.html

How about the low tech way of e-mailing the file to yourself and downloading onto another computer???

lol but would Scotty T actually do that to us?
Originally posted by davidb:
Unless the 49ers have put some kind of strong computer security in place, a player (who thinks he will be cut) could copy his playbook onto a flash drive and take it with him when he leaves.

A copy of the 49er playbook would be a valuable thing to have to "sell" to a new team.

I know I am looking at things from with dark, unethical point of view, but I think you have to think about the risks, when you choose to provide the players with iPads to hold the playbook.


Of course they have a strong computer system..its san francisco!
Originally posted by davidb:
Unless the 49ers have put some kind of strong computer security in place, a player (who thinks he will be cut) could copy his playbook onto a flash drive and take it with him when he leaves.

A copy of the 49er playbook would be a valuable thing to have to "sell" to a new team.

I know I am looking at things from with dark, unethical point of view, but I think you have to think about the risks, when you choose to provide the players with iPads to hold the playbook.

All you need is some DLP software to nip that in the in bud.
You know, i don't think Harbaugh and Baalke are that dumb.. I think what they do is have a playbook with the main plays, and throughout the year they add plays (or variations of the main ones) and just work on them during the week. I wouldn't be surprised if they even had a second playbook that slowly gets added in throughout the year. Not to mention for the playoffs
[ Edited by tondiman on Sep 6, 2013 at 8:41 AM ]
Also.. I don't know how secret a playbook can be. I mean, if they just watch last years film, they can pick out the majority of the plays. There are hundreds of plays though, and its not easy to pick out the one they are going to execute.
The tells are what worries me. So and so lowers his shoulder on this play kind of stuff. So many plays come from one formation you cant tell what will happen without the tells. If you are aware of your tells like Peyton was last night you could use it to your advantage.
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
How about the low tech way of e-mailing the file to yourself and downloading onto another computer???

I'm pretty sure they would use DRM (Digital Rights Management) on the file. You can copy the file to other systems, but unless those other systems have the decryption key, you won't be able to open the file.