There are 187 users in the forums

How much info can the Packers get from Tolzien?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Antix:
Im really really not concerned about this. We are a better team than Green Bay and I believe our collective Coaching Staff is smarter than Tolzein. Tolzein may make the game closer than it would normally be, but I think we're still gonna win. I doubt our CS would let Tolzein go and then be completely blindsided by him getting signed by The Packers and panic.

It's not gonna make a difference and I think its hilarious that a 3rd string QB is supposed to give the Packers the winning edge. Are you serious?

I hope we beat them good and convincingly and rub it in their smug little faces especially Aaron Rodgers
Tolzien is like Shultz from Hogan's Heroes. "I know nothing, I see nothing!"
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DrHawkingThe12th:
Trent Dilfer said the intel former #49ers QB Scott Tolzien is providing the #Packers is VERY valuable ...

Dilfer, a former NFL QB and current ESPN analyst, said the brainy Tolzien can give Green Bay an edge. Tolzien was signed to Green Bay's practice Sunday after spending the past two seasons as the 49ers' third-string quarterback: "I wouldn't make it a blanket statement if you go and get somebody who was on the roster of the team you're playing it's a huge advantage," Dilfer said. "It has to be the right guy. I think if you're the Green Bay Packers and you want to be taken behind the veil, so to speak, of what the 49ers do, the best guy to get is Scott Tolzien. Because the whole reason he was on the 49ers' roster is because he was a smart guy. It wasn't because he was a highly talented player. There's tremendous advantage, especially when you play the 49ers, because so much of their success has come because of Greg Roman's new wrinkles that he's given to offensive football. The deception that he's implemented into this offense."

Go f**k yourself you piece of s**t bird fan
Originally posted by Antix:
Im really really not concerned about this. We are a better team than Green Bay and I believe our collective Coaching Staff is smarter than Tolzein. Tolzein may make the game closer than it would normally be, but I think we're still gonna win. I doubt our CS would let Tolzein go and then be completely blindsided by him getting signed by The Packers and panic.

It's not gonna make a difference and I think its hilarious that a 3rd string QB is supposed to give the Packers the winning edge. Are you serious?

Exactly. Is Tolzien going to somehow magically make the 49ers O-Line less of the dominant force that destroyed GB the last 2 games? Is Tolzien going to magically turn their rookie 4th round LT into a seasoned vet that will not be fooled or overpowered by Justin and Aldon? That poor kid is going to be eaten alive. Plus, its not like Tolzien can tell them how to stop Kaepernick.

Right? A 3rd string QB is the key to unlocking the mystery of Harbaugh and Roman? Really? LOL, just crazy.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Trent Dilfer said the intel former #49ers QB Scott Tolzien is providing the #Packers is VERY valuable ...

Dilfer, a former NFL QB and current ESPN analyst, said the brainy Tolzien can give Green Bay an edge. Tolzien was signed to Green Bay's practice Sunday after spending the past two seasons as the 49ers' third-string quarterback: "I wouldn't make it a blanket statement if you go and get somebody who was on the roster of the team you're playing it's a huge advantage," Dilfer said. "It has to be the right guy. I think if you're the Green Bay Packers and you want to be taken behind the veil, so to speak, of what the 49ers do, the best guy to get is Scott Tolzien. Because the whole reason he was on the 49ers' roster is because he was a smart guy. It wasn't because he was a highly talented player. There's tremendous advantage, especially when you play the 49ers, because so much of their success has come because of Greg Roman's new wrinkles that he's given to offensive football. The deception that he's implemented into this offense."

Okay......so what are your thoughts on what that guy's take on the whole thing?
  • teeohh
  • Veteran

I do think they can get a lot of insight from him but he doesn't know the game plan and the coaching staff will adjust stuff since they know he's telling them everything

So while he has a lot of knowledge to share I'm not sure how it will translate. The Packers have been obsessed with us all offseason, they really want to beat us and I think this move shows that they're afraid they can't.
I honestly wouldnt worry about the info we get from either guy. Itll be a non-factor IMO. I think you guys dont realize how epically bad our BU QB's were this year. Wallace is a huge upgrade (sad to say) and Tolzien is exactly the kind of guy MM and friends look for to develop, for the PS. I wouldnt read to much into it.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by davidb:
Unless the 49ers have put some kind of strong computer security in place, a player (who thinks he will be cut) could copy his playbook onto a flash drive and take it with him when he leaves.

A copy of the 49er playbook would be a valuable thing to have to "sell" to a new team.

I know I am looking at things from with dark, unethical point of view, but I think you have to think about the risks, when you choose to provide the players with iPads to hold the playbook.

it really depends on how the iOS app is set up. it's not as easy as you think it is to copy the info to a flash drive.

No way in hell an NFL team wouldn't think of that. There has to be security measures in place. If not, every teams playbook would be floating around the league.
and the internet
Originally posted by teeohh:

That's Dilfer's OPINION, nothing he said has any bearing on reality. Reality is that the 49ers are a better team on all levels (with the exception of QB) than the Packers are. We are too physical for finesse teams like the Packers, Pats, and Saints. This has been proven time and time again over the pass two years. Truth is there is only 10 games of film out there on Kaep, guys like Brady/Manning/Brees have 100's of games on tap and the NFL still hasn't caught up to them. Considering that Kaep add an entire new element to the game with his running ability and cannon of a arm even if you have a good idea of what the game plan will be you still have to stop the guy. Hell we had Ham and Jacobs and still loss to the Giants.
Clay Matthews said earlier this week that now they can stop the read option, pistol fake offense...... Damn you Tolzien

Plenty, but in the end, all they need to do is look at the game film from the play offs. The lessons they need to learn are simple, do not blitz Kaep, do not turn your back on him. Play containment football, lot's of zone, make him beat you with his arm from the pocket. Keep hard edges in your run defense and hope Frank does not gash you too badly. Drill Kaep every time he executes a fake.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

Harbaugh: Yo Mangini/Roman!

ManRo: Yeah, what's up?

Harbaugh: You made sure that Scotty boy got the modified version of the play book, right... you made sure he (like a thief) copied (off iPad) the whole thing, right?

ManRo: Affirmative! He has the bunk plays and ready to give all the lame info to that disgusting pig (McCarthy)!!

Harbaugh: Righteous........ BTW, have you read that funny post that it recently posted?

ManRo: It? Who is it? What post?

Harbaugh: Never mind, forget about the comedy... it is not important!
Does anyone really think that NFL teams do not prepare ahead of time for the info that potentially bubble players have available to them to copy?
Remember Mad Magazine's Spy Vs Spy? There can be all sort of tricks and traps for either team to fall into, but coaches are conservative for the most part and don't want to confuse their teams and generally believe in fundamental football.

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Plenty, but in the end, all they need to do is look at the game film from the play offs. The lessons they need to learn are simple, do not blitz Kaep, do not turn your back on him. Play containment football, lot's of zone, make him beat you with his arm from the pocket. Keep hard edges in your run defense and hope Frank does not gash you too badly. Drill Kaep every time he executes a fake.

This is probably the general plan for all teams going into the season. Back when, YA Tittle was being beat up and so he threw a pass right at a defender's face. Just nailed him. If CK does that it will really, really hurt. Also, CK can run around and make the defender chase him around and get tired and penalized for silly late hits. Plus, if one defender is always taking himself out of the play, the offense can take advantage of that.
Originally posted by davidb:
Unless the 49ers have put some kind of strong computer security in place, a player (who thinks he will be cut) could copy his playbook onto a flash drive and take it with him when he leaves.

A copy of the 49er playbook would be a valuable thing to have to "sell" to a new team.

I know I am looking at things from with dark, unethical point of view, but I think you have to think about the risks, when you choose to provide the players with iPads to hold the playbook.

I don't think so. I believe there are strict non-disclosure agreements attached to professional football (and other sports) contracts, and that the penalties for violating them are extremely severe. Otherwise, every time a player was traded from one team to another team he would bring along his former team's playbook. In other words, every coach would have every team's playbook, which is obviously not the case.
Share 49ersWebzone