There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jersey Number changes

Originally posted by Bluesbro:
There is a maximum amount a team can retire. I cannot remember the number, like 8-10 maybe? Perhaps if you are at the max, and a number is more worthy than one that is already retired, then you unretire that number

Its more then 8 or 10 we have 12 #s retired.
49ers should just do what the cowboys and raiders do....only retire a players's JERSEY (number + name on back) and not the number itself....extraordinary players get the unspoken rule/honor of not having his number used without his (or if deceased, his family's) express permission

that ought to clear up some of the pre-walsh era numbers from the team's infancy days
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Guess you forgot your reply in this thread susweel:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/parking-lot/174513-wife-left-years-need-advice/

Anyways, just to not get off topic I don't think 24k is a lot to offer someone for a # especially from a guy like Asomugha who has 10's of millions. I'd take it in a heart beat but I can see why he turned him down. I don't think Asomugha wanted it too bad with that offer.

different rules in the parking lot also I pm'd the op and we are cool.

I am glad you came to your senses Sus, that was stone cold.
Looks like everything is set for week 1. I think some can still change after this season if they wanted. Wish Dial, Reid and Lattimore would have changed.

Stayed the same:
Daniels 5, Patton 11, Baldwin 84 (Carswell IR still 84, needs to change?),Reid, Dial, Lattimore...McBath still on roster (need to update)

Only changes/new additions:
Chris Harper 13, Nnamdi 24 to 28, Stupar 45 to 56, Bykowski from 71 to 69, Carrier 46, Morris 38 to 40, Okoye 78 to 98, Wright 21 to 30
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran
Looks like everything is set for week 1. I think some can still change after this season if they wanted. Wish Dial, Reid and Lattimore would have changed.

Stayed the same:
Daniels 5, Patton 11, Baldwin 84 (Carswell IR still 84, needs to change?),Reid, Dial, Lattimore...McBath still on roster (need to update)

Chris Harper 13, Nnamdi 24 to 28, Stupar 45 to 56, Bykowski from 71 to 69, Carrier 46, Morris 38 to 40, Okoye 78 to 98, Wright 21 to 30

Carrier is not worthy of 46
Originally posted by mod:
Carrier is not worthy of 46

This, but not because of Walker. Tim McDonald..most badass guy to ever wear 46.

Stayed the same:

Is that Lawrence?? Thought we let him go or something
Originally posted by Zachary:
Is that Lawrence?? Thought we let him go or something

I think he cleared waivers, then we stashed him on IR. Something like that.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by kazak13:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I hope you're joking. 8 is Steve, 16 is Joe Cool, 80 is GOAT Rice. 42 is Lott, those are sacred Numbers. And mean something. Probably the 4 most beloved 49ers of all time in their era.

This era, Gore, Willis, are the most beloved from 2005-2007, then add in how great Aldon and Kap can be. I hate retiring numbers, but if it's a HOF'er, you do it.

Not joking. In soccer people continue to wear numbers that legends wear. That what you have to live up to these expectations. What's going to happen 50 years from now!? Triple digits because so many numbers will be retired?

Retiring numbers is as bad as saying you cannot have another president named Lincoln or Washington..

For example number 34 and 37 is a good number but I will never see anyone in a 49ers uniform because of players that played the game generations ago...
I'd love to see a running back wearing 34...

You dropped a soccer reference into an NFL discussion.

All validity is lost.

Not joking. In soccer people continue to wear numbers that legends wear. That what you have to live up to these expectations. What's going to happen 50 years from now!? Triple digits because so many numbers will be retired?

Retiring numbers is as bad as saying you cannot have another president named Lincoln or Washington..

For example number 34 and 37 is a good number but I will never see anyone in a 49ers uniform because of players that played the game generations ago...
I'd love to see a running back wearing 34...

Lets stay on topic. Don't even get me started.. I am a die hard nfl fan but i lived enough in europe to folloew soccer and let me tell you, the nfl is like a kindergarden kid compared to soccer... Soccer is widely played around the world 365 days a year and the nfl only has leagues on us and Canada. I know mostly all here are big time football fans but face reality.. How bout Pele, Maradona, Zidane, Beckham.. Those are legends and their numbers are not retired. No big deal its just a number. It's an honor watching someone else wear their number.. And these guys don't play 16 game seasons so imagine how much more playing time that number got.
I dont get the problem with retiring #'s as long as it's an absolute legend. IMO it would suck to see another player sport #80,16, 8 etc. players can wear what 1-99? that's a ton of #'s when only 53 need one each year. The 9ers have 12 retired now I believe which means we have another 35 to go before it's a problem and that would take a very long time.
Originally posted by matt49er:
I dont get the problem with retiring #'s as long as it's an absolute legend. IMO it would suck to see another player sport #80,16, 8 etc. players can wear what 1-99? that's a ton of #'s when only 53 need one each year. The 9ers have 12 retired now I believe which means we have another 35 to go before it's a problem and that would take a very long time.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone else sport 79, 34, 37. Maybe they should so a rule, while the player is alive. And actually seeing someone wear 16 won't be bad either. Brings back memories
Originally posted by matt49er:

I wouldn't mind seeing someone else sport 79, 34, 37. Maybe they should so a rule, while the player is alive. And actually seeing someone wear 16 won't be bad either. Brings back memories

Or bring bad thoughts. Imagine if Alex Smith wore 16, would of been a disgrace to Joe Montana. No one will or should ever wear 8, 16 or 80. Those are HOF'ers and sacred numbers. Retiring is fine.
Lets stay on topic. Don't even get me started.. I am a die hard nfl fan but i lived enough in europe to folloew soccer and let me tell you, the nfl is like a kindergarden kid compared to soccer... Soccer is widely played around the world 365 days a year and the nfl only has leagues on us and Canada. I know mostly all here are big time football fans but face reality.. How bout Pele, Maradona, Zidane, Beckham.. Those are legends and their numbers are not retired. No big deal its just a number. It's an honor watching someone else wear their number.. And these guys don't play 16 game seasons so imagine how much more playing time that number got.

Hate to burst your bubble but soccer players are some of the worst drama queen pussies in professional sports. They flop and whine more than any self respecting man should. It is a boring sport on every level.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Hate to burst your bubble but soccer players are some of the worst drama queen pussies in professional sports. They flop and whine more than any self respecting man should. It is a boring sport on every level.

And if they had to take the constant physical abuse they wouldn't play year round.
#13 will look weird on a TE/WR.