LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

What Is Baalke's Preoccupation With 7th Round Draft Choices?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
ESPN had a write up about how teams are trending towards signing late round picks and undrafted picks to lower costs. If you have an undrafted prospect and a third or second or sometimes first round pick performing about the same, it will be cheaper to keep the undrafted guy around when it comes time to extend. Unless that low round draft prospect is lighting it up why not keep the lower round or undrafted guy.

An undrafted prospect has tremendous staying power if he can compete with a low round draft choice.
Originally posted by fister30:
ESPN had a write up about how teams are trending towards signing late round picks and undrafted picks to lower costs. If you have an undrafted prospect and a third or second or sometimes first round pick performing about the same, it will be cheaper to keep the undrafted guy around when it comes time to extend. Unless that low round draft prospect is lighting it up why not keep the lower round or undrafted guy.

An undrafted prospect has tremendous staying power if he can compete with a low round draft choice.

Interesting...the cap obviously has a ton to do with it. The coaches spend extra time developing these guys on the cheap with production and high upside. I do see this trend.
Originally posted by fister30:

I definitely hear this notion, the world has so much talent and keeping the doors open for the possibility of finding a gem in the rough is something that could benefit a team tremendously. If we found a young Rod Smith (un-drafted perennial all-star), just imagine what someone like that could do for a team. Other notables, Priest Holmes, Brian Waters, James Harrison, John Randle, Antonio Gates, Kurt Warner........
Originally posted by redrathman:
They were going to be cut and he'd rather get a 7th than nothing.

You'r overvaluing our trash. Stop it.

I don't know why but this made me LOL HARD! !!
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by kray28:
If we had great talent evaluation, I think the plethora of picks would mean more. But to Baalke, it's a crapshoot. More picks simply means more chances to accidentally stumble onto a gem.

The strategy is not a bad one, but it's less meaningful when you lack the skill to take maximum advantage of it.

I want the 49ers to invest in scouting and talent evaluation so a debacle like the 2012 draft doesn't happen again.

Oh get the hell over it already. Even the most respected GM's lay an egg. Baalke's 2012 draft PROVES what a good GM he is, not how bad he is.

It's what a GM does when he does lay an egg that shows what he's made of. Most GM's just end up with egg on their face. Baalke made pancakes.

Can you imagine the comments if we had Internet back when Walsh and McVay ran the draft?

They missed on plenty of picks and quite a few drafts netted one or two short term starters.
Baalke's been destroying our team and it's about time he was fired. The Jenkins saga was the last straw. It's freaking morons like him which aren't prepared for injury like what's happened to Crabtree and Patrick Willis etc. Instead of taking flyers on projects like Reid he should have drafted a WR and CB etc - and got another linebacker (who's not recovering from a torn ACL like Lattimore or Tank Carridine). The guy is a joke, a fool, a clown, and is handsdown the worst GM ever. Does anyone know if Bill Cowher is available? He'd make a great GM. Even Bill Polian would be better than this castoff from dumb and dumber.
Originally posted by NFLBuddah:
Baalke's been destroying our team and it's about time he was fired. The Jenkins saga was the last straw. It's freaking morons like him which aren't prepared for injury like what's happened to Crabtree and Patrick Willis etc. Instead of taking flyers on projects like Reid he should have drafted a WR and CB etc - and got another linebacker (who's not recovering from a torn ACL like Lattimore or Tank Carridine). The guy is a joke, a fool, a clown, and is handsdown the worst GM ever. Does anyone know if Bill Cowher is available? He'd make a great GM. Even Bill Polian would be better than this castoff from dumb and dumber.

Good try troll
Interesting that A. Franklin is the Colts NT while RJF is their RDE in their 3-4. Cam is backing up @ OLB @ the WILL.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
I have a feeling we're gonna regret letting C.Johnson go.
Originally posted by VA49erFaithful:
Stacking picks to move up for clowney?

Yup were going to trade the 32nd overall pick and 15 7th round picks to the Oakland Raiders for the #1 overall pick. BOOM! Just pulled a fast one on the Raiders.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
I have a feeling we're gonna regret letting C.Johnson go.
the same was said about jamie winborn, woods, korey sheets, arnez battle, nate davis etc etc. i was more upset about losing harlason because he was a proven vet, johnson showed us nothing but a few highlights against guys who are now carrying out groceries at vons bylow. at the end of the day, we got a nice roster, we got two guys backing up smith and brooks who are so much better than what we had last year in that position . we got younger at some spots like safety and long snapper, we got hunter back, we got a better kicker. Now that the dust has cleared I miss no one who is not on his team
Gotta make Kap room if we want to keep our elite gotta trim the fat
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socalniner:

also gotta sign aldon,. those are the two cornerstones and no offense to crabs but you MUST sign those two in my opinion
Originally posted by cciowa:

also gotta sign aldon,. those are the two cornerstones and no offense to crabs but you MUST sign those two in my opinion

you've been through the period after TO and it was only until last year that we finally got a receiver over 1000 yds. Maybe with Crabs injury we wont have to pay as much, but yeah tough to sign all three.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
you've been through the period after TO and it was only until last year that we finally got a receiver over 1000 yds. Maybe with Crabs injury we wont have to pay as much, but yeah tough to sign all three.
i just have a feeling about people like moore baldwin and the kids we drafted. i really think at least two of them will be major players for us this year which could make the signing of crabs less important . if i am wrong,, it would not be the first time
Share 49ersWebzone