There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Practice Squad

Originally posted by mayo49:
Lol, everyone is freaking out about practice squad players.


This. I'm more bummed on Gray than Cooper, but I'll get over it in about 5 minutes.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,376
Originally posted by dmatt:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Carter Bykowski sucks, I hope they find a tad better OT than him.

He played a lot better than Looney. Looney is clearly benefitting from the weakness beyond the starters. Kilgore is the only one that I would be comfortable playing with if a starter was hurt. We lose two offensive linemen this year, the season is over.

Beat more than Looney, Looney struggles open up running lanes, notice Hampton running to his right most of the time. Re-watched every Preseason game the 9ers had, and this is one guy I can't figure out why they keep around. There are much better O-lineman out there who can do better than these two. Reid Fragel and Lee Ziemba to name some.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,376
Originally posted by mayo49:
Lol, everyone is freaking out about practice squad players.

Its called discussion man c'mon mayo.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,806
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

#49ers will sign WR Chuck Jacobs to the practice squad, source says.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,326
Kinda funny. We are seeing bad organizations pick up players that good organizations are cutting because they have too much talent and good organizations picking up players cut from bad organizations because of shaky coaching, talent evaluation. I'd hate to be a late round draft pick in this league. I'd much rather be able to pick my organization so that I knew I'd be given a fair shot.

That said, I'm really proud of this organization from what I saw this year. We kept the best players, with the exception of Jennings, which is clearly explainable. It's a cold business, but that's the only way you can remain competitive over the long term.

With that said, I hope we don't swap Stupar for Marecic. I liked him in college but Stupar tore it up.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

#49ers will sign WR Chuck Jacobs to the practice squad, source says.

Hopefully nobody signs him to a 53 man roster. If they do want to sign him he can decline to stay on our PS. I think he has a real shot at the roster next year with Boldin, Manningham, Williams and Moore all being FAs. Only guys under contract are Crabtree, Patton and Baldwin. We'll have to see how everyone does and who is back.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

#49ers will sign WR Chuck Jacobs to the practice squad, source says.


Finally, some good news !!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,133
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Lol, everyone is freaking out about practice squad players.

Its called discussion man c'mon mayo.


Sorry, I'm just still pooped out from all the cuts yesterday. I'll get back into it.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,326
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by dmatt:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Carter Bykowski sucks, I hope they find a tad better OT than him.

He played a lot better than Looney. Looney is clearly benefitting from the weakness beyond the starters. Kilgore is the only one that I would be comfortable playing with if a starter was hurt. We lose two offensive linemen this year, the season is over.

Beat more than Looney, Looney struggles open up running lanes, notice Hampton running to his right most of the time. Re-watched every Preseason game the 9ers had, and this is one guy I can't figure out why they keep around. There are much better O-lineman out there who can do better than these two. Reid Fragel and Lee Ziemba to name some.

I do think Looney is better than Bykowski at this point, but he has a year in the system. Bykowski appears to me to have the raw tools to eventually be a player. I wouldn't be heartbroken if they picked up a tackle that someone else had let go who has promise and replaces Bykowski, but watching the waiver wire, it seems like most of those guys are still employed.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,326
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

#49ers will sign WR Chuck Jacobs to the practice squad, source says.

Hopefully nobody signs him to a 53 man roster. If they do want to sign him he can decline to stay on our PS. I think he has a real shot at the roster next year with Boldin, Manningham, Williams and Moore all being FAs. Only guys under contract are Crabtree, Patton and Baldwin. We'll have to see how everyone does and who is back.

Laney Eagles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No comment on my proposed roster structure change?

There were some thinking Looney was good enough to not spend to money to keep Iupati! I'd be crying if that happened.

Morris, Jacobs, Bykowski so far ...
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch 17m How to identify a die-hard #49ers fan: They are currently up in arms over the loss of Marcus Cooper and MarQueis Gray.


Damn right!
Actually, Marcus Cooper is the only one I'm even remotely down about losing. But, you have to keep in mind that the Niners will almost certainly draft a highly-rated corner in the first round of the next draft.
Originally posted by Scoots:
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch 17m How to identify a die-hard #49ers fan: They are currently up in arms over the loss of Marcus Cooper and MarQueis Gray.


Damn right!

Yeah that's some fanaticism for you.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Actually, Marcus Cooper is the only one I'm even remotely down about losing. But, you have to keep in mind that the Niners will almost certainly draft a highly-rated corner in the first round of the next draft.

I really wanted to keep him, but that is a good point.