LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Practice Squad

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by natrone06:
You have any stats to back up your claims or just pulling out the butt?
look at the draft year after year, and compare it to final rosters year after year. you rarely see late-pick linemen on the field or on rosters for more than a year.
this is the case for most positions, but more so for o-linemen.
i don't keep a spreadsheet documenting this, but it's my view from experience.

So completely made up?
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
we signed derrick carrier. i wonder why we didn't workout nebraska te/wr kyler reed. reed seemed like a better player and athlete than carrier.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
So completely made up?

here's an easy way to see this: go look up "nfl draft history" on wikipedia. year after year, compare how many rd 5-7 running backs played and how many rd 5-7 o-linemen played. it's clear cut.
So completely made up?

here's an easy way to see this: go look up "nfl draft history" on wikipedia. year after year, compare how many rd 5-7 running backs played and how many rd 5-7 o-linemen played. it's clear cut.

Even if that is true (not sure) that only shows that rbs have a higher late round success rate then olineman. Should we only draft rbs in rounds 4-7 lol?
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Even if that is true (not sure) that only shows that rbs have a higher late round success rate then olineman. Should we only draft rbs in rounds 4-7 lol?

in general, any given draft class has fewer big and tall men who are also elite athletes. there are always many more db's and rb's who are great athletes compared to o-linemen who are great athletes. that's how the family of man is--few gigantic, strong men; many, many more who weigh 100 lbs less.

in general, any given draft class has fewer big and tall men who are also elite athletes. there are always many more db's and rb's who are great athletes compared to o-linemen who are great athletes. that's how the family of man is--few gigantic, strong men; many, many more who weigh 100 lbs less.

Ok we can stop the back and fourth. You clearly have no supporting evidence in your statement that its a bad idea to draft olineman late in the draft. If you do find actual evidence I would love to hear it. The subject of the draft and following trends is very interesting to me.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Ok we can stop the back and fourth. You clearly have no supporting evidence in your statement that its a bad idea to draft olineman late in the draft. If you do find actual evidence I would love to hear it. The subject of the draft and following trends is very interesting to me.

i guess you want tangible, scientific evidence. but, it's common sense that the big, athletic and smart population is a very small number of people. look at that exclusive event that is the combine. even in that exclusive group every year, there's an handful of slobs running around purporting to be future nfl linemen. and this is the best of the best. you would never see that quality of athlete in the combine's rb, cb, lb, or wr groups. there are very few, really good players who are 6-2+ and weight 300+.
that's why a team with five o-linemen drafted in the top 50 will be very dominant--their talent level would be astronomically higher than an average o-line drafted in the top 150. in contrast, a top 50 defensive backfield wouldn't be that much more talented than a top 150 backfield.
  • buck
  • Veteran
It looks like the practice squad has been completed.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
it's a pretty unimpressive PS
You would think a crappy team like the Raiders should be spending their time getting better at FB not hazing new players. I love that we don't have any of that bull crap on our team. We are a team and I don't think Harbaugh would stand for it. It really serves no purpose. Make the rookies earn their keep by their play on the field not by belittling them.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 3, 2013 at 6:22 PM ]

Originally posted by Gore_21:
You would think a crappy team like the Raiders should be spending their time getting better at FB not hazing new players. I love that we don't have any of that bull crap on our team. We are a team and I don't think Harbaugh would stand for it. It really serves no purpose. Make the rookies earn their keep by their play on the field not by belittling them.

xcfan, clearly the 49ers should fire Baalke and make you GM. Would look better if Gray and Cooper didn't get signed to 53 man rosters. Just out of curiosity who would you add?

Harbaugh has said as much and I really respect him for that. I hate hazing of any kind.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Harbaugh has said as much and I really respect him for that. I hate hazing of any kind.

Yeah, no place for it in sports or any activity for that matter. You look how it's gone down to the HS level and it makes you sick. Kids dying from it; lives changed forever over stupidity. Also, I love that Harbaugh doesn't allow fighting between teammates. It happened twice in practice these past 2 years and both times the person who started it was sent off the field for the rest of practice. If I was a coach I would take the Harbaugh path and not have any of it. Then you look at some of these crappy teams and they have this kind of stuff going on. Really, you need to be hazed to join a 2-14 team lol. Same with fighting I'd prefer our offense and defense be as one and all get along vs nfl teams in the past where the o and d hated each other and the coaches couldnt stand each other either.
we signed derrick carrier. i wonder why we didn't workout nebraska te/wr kyler reed. reed seemed like a better player and athlete than carrier.

because kyler sounds too much like skyler and harbaugh and baalke hate that b***ch on breaking bad
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Carrier has good speed for a TE, 4.5 forty

• xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:
Carrier has good speed for a TE, 4.5 forty

you want a difficult scouting job? try figuring out if a guy can play in the nfl by watching his D3 film.
Share 49ersWebzone