There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Practice Squad

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
So, with Harper what is our PS list...for now. I'm assuming we are keeping Okoye and Divens as well?

Its shady but we're going to pull an NEPatriots and put Okeye and Divens on IR for the whole year even with minor injuries.

They did it with Demps last season when he sustained a minor injury in the preseason.

It'll be done with a wink and nod to continue working on their game and be ready for next season.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
My hope is that WR Da' Rick Rogers is the last spot on the practice squad. He worked out for the dolphins this week, immensly talented but a lack of understanding X's an O's would benefit greatly around such a team of professionals. He could really turn into something. There is no questioning his size speed and athletic ability. These things just cant be taught.

You also can't fix stupid.

This must be the case as his measurables are off the charts! The niners don't need a dunderhead.
Originally posted by sfout:
So, with Harper what is our PS list...for now. I'm assuming we are keeping Okoye and Divens as well?

Its shady but we're going to pull an NEPatriots and put Okeye and Divens on IR for the whole year even with minor injuries.

They did it with Demps last season when he sustained a minor injury in the preseason.

It'll be done with a wink and nod to continue working on their game and be ready for next season.

Brilliant. Get paid and learn all year. I never saw Divens get "hurt" but did see Okoye. Good acting job! LOL
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Brilliant. Get paid and learn all year. I never saw Divens get "hurt" but did see Okoye. Good acting job! LOL

We'll Divens is related to Brooks "allegedly" breaking his nose with a bottle. But wait for it to happen in the next couple of weeks.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xcfan:
i think baalke needs to fix his method for finding o-linemen to develop. it's pretty much a waste of time trying to find developmental o-linemen from big schools in the later rounds. most just don't have the basic talent to make it. you can get small school guys with big talent late in the draft, but you have to be able to determine that the physical talent is there to develop; that's a difficult assignment. baalke would be much better off just picking o-linemen in the top 100. those guys don't have huge hurdles to overcome. better to save the later rounds for receivers, corners, safeties, and running backs. there's a larger pool of athletic talent with these smaller guys, so there's a better chance of development. big-school linemen who fall to the late rounds have big weaknesses than make development much harder--if not impossible. just look at guys like bykowski and omemeh--the raw materials are just not there. but, year-in-and-year-out, we can get db's in the 6th and 7th rds who have the physical tools to develop into players.

Baalke has drafted seven offensive linemen in four drafts.

Of those, five are still on the team and two have been cut.

Three of his offensive line picks have been taken in the late rounds:

6th Jason Slowey G Western Oregon
7th Mike Person T Montana State
7th Carter Bykowski OT Iowa St

It is possible that a 5th round pick could be considered a late round pick. We have taken one offensive lineman in the 5th.

5th Daniel Kilgore G Appalachian State

Depending what you consider late round picks, either 75% or 67% of Baalke late round offensive linemen have been from small schools.

The only offensive linemen picked by Baalke that have been cut are Person and Slowey, both of whom are from small schools.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 2, 2013 at 9:54 AM ]

We'll Divens is related to Brooks "allegedly" breaking his nose with a bottle. But wait for it to happen in the next couple of weeks.

Taking one for the team! LOL

He's not on the practice squad, he is on the 53 man roster now.
Very excited to see Daryl Morris make the PS. He deserves it. Though it was a small sample size, I felt he did very well out there, and that, along with his practice play, kept him with us. Would love to see him earn a spot next year with us possibly losing three of ours corners (Rogers, Nnamdi, and maybe Brown)
  • sfout
  • Veteran

You read it fast like I did. there is supposed to be a comma or semi-colon there. he is referencing an earlier post about making harper our final PS pick but now that we've signed him to the 53 what is our final ps wish item. That what he meant.

and that final pick is OL Al Netter by the way.

You read it fast like I did. there is supposed to be a comma or semi-colon there. he is referencing an earlier post about making harper our final PS pick but now that we've signed him to the 53 what is our final ps wish item. That what he meant.

Cool! So Hawkins has been added to the 53 and Okoye and Divens are also on the team but on I.R. for the year and Owen may also be added as well to the 53. And Netter holds the final 8 spot on the PS? Good God! Netter, Bykowski and oh-mom-meh were clearly added to help build up Okoye's confidence. They are horrendous with no upside!
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Cool! So Hawkins has been added to the 53 and Okoye and Divens are also on the team but on I.R. for the year and Owen may also be added as well to the 53. And Netter holds the final 8 spot on the PS? Good God! Netter, Bykowski and oh-mom-meh were clearly added to help build up Okoye's confidence. They are horrendous with no upside!

slow down NC. Divens and Okoye are just currently waived/injured - they aren't even listed on the 49ers roster page at the moment. but yes that is the gist of it. It looks like you called Chris Harper "Hawkins" and by "Owen" do you mean Owen Marecic?

I'm hesitant to think we'll sign Marecic after getting Harper, the only player that makes sense cutting if we sign Marecic is Stupar and I don't see it happening.
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Seahawks cut WR Chris Harper. IS PS eligible. Selected in the 4th rd 5 spots before Quinton Patton.
Round 4/123 - Chris Harper, WR, 6-1, 233, Kansas State...A big receiver with strong hands who has been compared with Anquan Boldin. Harper was a former quarterback turned receiver.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1620463/chris-harper
http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/2013/4/27/4275104/nfl-draft-results-seahawks-chris-harper-in-the-4th

I guess I called that (see page 1)
[ Edited by maxsmart on Sep 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM ]
Harper signed a 3yr deal with us.

Divens got an injury settlement.

Okoye is on IR, I dont think he took a settlement.

Our last PS spot is open still.

Stupar may be the guy, if hey add Marecic, which I am doubting now that we have Harper. I can see Celek cut now if Harper works out for us.

Celek and Stupar are the most likely to go.

Guys like Ventrone and Skuta stay, and rightfully so.

We need to make a choice, TJE or Tuk when Dobbs is back, or we cut Stupar or Celek. Hard to keep 4 TEs. Maybe we get a vet Tackle.

What about when Mario is back, and Dial, Tank and Crabs. All will work it self out in the end. Just everything is a mess.
Are we leaving the last practice squad open for Okoye? When he gets healthy? His injury was described as pretty minor I believe.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Are we leaving the last practice squad open for Okoye? When he gets healthy? His injury was described as pretty minor I believe.

He is on IR for the year so can't come back at all I believe. Was minor but I guess NFL doesn't monitor that so you are free to put him on IR for the year. As for the last spot like AB said could very well go to Stupar or Celek if they are cut. Doubt we cut Celek right away if we planned on making Harper a TE. Would have to be fully ready first. Also, TJE IS eligible if we cut him when Dobbs comes back. Tukuafu isn't so if we cut him he's gone for good. So very well could be saving it for Stupar or TJE, Celek would probably be down the road when Harper is ready so we wouldn't leave it open for weeks and weeks. Just would have to release someone from the PS if we wanted to put Celek on the PS.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM ]