There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Practice Squad

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Xcfan seems knowledgeable but I think he's one of those guys that loves to argue. Of course Baalke isn't perfect, maybe he isn't great with late round OL but he's one of the best GM's in the league. Some have really high standards or love to complain although I wouldn't say xcfan is fully a complainer because he gave credit for some stuff Baalke did which complainers never seem to do. Ex: well so what if he hit on Aldo, Kap, Hunter, Davis, Iupati he missed on AJ Jenkins. Guy sucks!

Yeah, I'm not singling him out. I'm just speaking to the general issue of people dissatisfied with Baalke. I think Baalke is one of the best GM's in the league and the rest of the league must agree or he wouldn't have gotten Executive of the Year as Pillbusta pointed out. Plus, I don't think he's done all that bad in the lower rounds. Bruce Miller was a seventh rounder. Dixon and K.Williams were both sixth rounders. Hunter was a fourth rounder. The team has gotten a lot of value out of those guys for those positions in the draft.
  • buck
  • Veteran
There is still one empty spot.

Not sure how we plan on using it.

If we sign a player, we could kick a person on the 53 to the practice squad.
If you're complaining about Baalke, how must you have felt in '08 when the guy before him took Kentwan Balmer in the first and Chilo Rachal in the second. Talk about a face plant!
Originally posted by buck:
There is still one empty spot.

Not sure how we plan on using it.

If we sign a player, we could kick a person on the 53 to the practice squad.

My guess is that anyone who gets added to the PS now will be someone we're not talking about from another team.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
If you're complaining about Baalke, how must you have felt in '08 when the guy before him took Kentwan Balmer in the first and Chilo Rachal in the second. Talk about a face plant!

Yeah, I'm not singling him out. I'm just speaking to the general issue of people dissatisfied with Baalke. I think Baalke is one of the best GM's in the league and the rest of the league must agree or he wouldn't have gotten Executive of the Year as Pillbusta pointed out. Plus, I don't think he's done all that bad in the lower rounds. Bruce Miller was a seventh rounder. Dixon and K.Williams were both sixth rounders. Hunter was a fourth rounder. The team has gotten a lot of value out of those guys for those positions in the draft.

Yeah I know you werent as there are a lot of guys posters who are never satisfied (again not saying xcfan is one of them). To be fair though always room for improvement and we have high standards righ t now. Also, xcfan said he wasn't good with OL in the mid to late rounds not that he was bad in the late rounds in general. All though have seen posters say that to which I say don't make me put together a list. In general though most gm's have a hard time with early rounds much less mid and late. We've done solid in UDFA's too.

Also, one of the problems with drafting is almost all of us turn into draft experts when very few actually are "experts" and even those guys don't have info the coaches do. That leads to a lot of Baalke didn't draft my guy he sucks. Or oh I wanted Janoris Jenkins in stead of AJ Jenkins I'm smarter than Baalke when in previous years they could have said Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, who the hell are they?
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

.......and Reggie Smith in the 3rd, Cody Wallace in the 4th, brokes the rules and forfeited our 5th.........and on, and on, and on....
Whoever is complaining about Baalke, feel free to name another GM with his success over the past 3 years and has been able to capitalize on mistakes like him (Mays, Jenkins) or got the value he got for Smith.... /crickets
Originally posted by 5280High:
Whoever is complaining about Baalke, feel free to name another GM with his success over the past 3 years and has been able to capitalize on mistakes like him (Mays, Jenkins) or got the value he got for Smith.... /crickets

I cant think of anyone else. Baalke has drafted several top notch guys, 2010 he got Davis and Iupati, plus hit on Bowman, missed on Mays, Dixon and Williams are ok guys as late picks.

2011 he hit great, Aldon, Cully, Kap, Hunter, Kilgore, and Miller, all would help this year except Cully. Sucks he got hurt.

2012 sucked, but hey you are allowed a bad draft here and there, but James is a good RB, and Looney a quality backup. Cam made this roster, he was a 7th rd pick. Had issues, was a top 100 talent, maybe top 50 in 2012.

2013 looks great, both now and future, Reid, McDonald, Patton all for now, Latti, Dial, Tank for future. Cooper was talent, he got scooped by KC. Bykowski is on PS.

Also his FA signings. Carlos Rogers, Jonathan Goodwin, Donte Whitner, and David Akers in 2011 were all good. Not his fault Akers got hurt. Whitner, Goodwin and Rogers are still starter material. Sure they likely wont be back, but thats due to salary and youth movement.

He got A.Davis, Brooks, Bowman, Lee, McDonald, Justin Smith all extended for fair deals. Got Mario to take a pay cut.

He also extended Boone before he became a starter. this years FA pickups are looking good, Skuta, Dawson for ST, Dahl, Moore too. Ventrone will surprise some. Dorsey will help a ton on the D-Line.

Baalke has been great for the 3 years as full GM, and 1 yr named after Scoty Drunk got fired. 4 good seasons/offfseasons, we have been back to back NFC West champs, went to 2 NFC Champ games, 1 win, 5 yards away from ring 6, got screwed IMO. But its over and done with.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I cant think of anyone else. Baalke has drafted several top notch guys, 2010 he got Davis and Iupati, plus hit on Bowman, missed on Mays, Dixon and Williams are ok guys as late picks.

2011 he hit great, Aldon, Cully, Kap, Hunter, Kilgore, and Miller, all would help this year except Cully. Sucks he got hurt.

2012 sucked, but hey you are allowed a bad draft here and there, but James is a good RB, and Looney a quality backup. Cam made this roster, he was a 7th rd pick. Had issues, was a top 100 talent, maybe top 50 in 2012.

2013 looks great, both now and future, Reid, McDonald, Patton all for now, Latti, Dial, Tank for future. Cooper was talent, he got scooped by KC. Bykowski is on PS.

Also his FA signings. Carlos Rogers, Jonathan Goodwin, Donte Whitner, and David Akers in 2011 were all good. Not his fault Akers got hurt. Whitner, Goodwin and Rogers are still starter material. Sure they likely wont be back, but thats due to salary and youth movement.

He got A.Davis, Brooks, Bowman, Lee, McDonald, Justin Smith all extended for fair deals. Got Mario to take a pay cut.

He also extended Boone before he became a starter. this years FA pickups are looking good, Skuta, Dawson for ST, Dahl, Moore too. Ventrone will surprise some. Dorsey will help a ton on the D-Line.

Baalke has been great for the 3 years as full GM, and 1 yr named after Scoty Drunk got fired. 4 good seasons/offfseasons, we have been back to back NFC West champs, went to 2 NFC Champ games, 1 win, 5 yards away from ring 6, got screwed IMO. But its over and done with.

Yes. Most definitely got screwed...on that KO return non-call...and several penalties called on SF that were not called the same way on Baltimore. However, there is no choice but to move on. I just hope the team moves on...to that big-ass trophy this year!
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Yes. Most definitely got screwed...on that KO return non-call...and several penalties called on SF that were not called the same way on Baltimore. However, there is no choice but to move on. I just hope the team moves on...to that big-ass trophy this year!

I hope so too. Need to get that 6th Lombardi trophy. Need it please football gods,
  • buck
  • Veteran
OK. Since nothing is happening right now with the cuts.

Baalke hired Harbaugh. Baalke drafted Mays and Jenkins.

Baalke is not infallible. Baalke is human and makes mistakes.

If he hits on 70% of his picks he will be ahead of the league average. The guy is pretty solid all around...trades, vets, draft...team would still be in the wilderness without him. Even JH can't win without players.

About 3 or 4 teams released their 2013 FOURTH rounders in the past few days. When you look at what Baalke has been able to accomplish, its pretty amazing, I mean guys like Bruce Miller, Cam Johnson, BJ Daniels, all look like outstanding choices where they were picked.

Sorry, xcfan started it and we all took it and ran. We really derailed this thread. Either way will probably disappear in a few days and not come up until we add somebody half way through the season.

And what AB said... plus alone Dorsey and Ian Williams for 3 years 3.2 mil (include year he had left), and dorsey 2 yrs 6 mil... compared to RJF 4 yrs 22.5 mil and Sopoaga 4 years 12mil... yeah think we did alright on that on. Again, sorry for the derail.

Yeah, has anyone ever calculated a hit and miss on drafts for Baalke? If he's at 70 percent he is way way ahead of the average. In the draft's, especially pre 2005 ish where drafts were really horrible, I'd say the hit rate was 10 percent. Now maybe 20-30 at best? If anyone ever wants to kill time go look at some 90s and early 2000s drafts. Most of them are full of guys who never did anything. Even the first rounds.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM ]