There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Practice Squad

Is anyone else surprised no other team scooped up Jacobs, he didnt do to bad in the preseason.
[ Edited by LoneWolf on Sep 1, 2013 at 5:37 PM ]
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Is anyone else surprised no other team scooped up Jacobs, he didnt do to bad in the preseason.

He'd be more attractive to other teams if he had about 10 lbs. of added muscle. Too skinny to beat press coverage, but has potential.

A lot of teams have a promising young or rookie WR that they wanted to keep themselves. I like the dudes potential but he's still got quite a ways to go.

Not surprised at all. However, I did think a team like the Jets might pick up Hampton.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Not surprised at all. However, I did think a team like the Jets might pick up Hampton.

They picked up Alex Green off waivers, but you know Chris Ivory's going to get hurt sooner or later.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SoCal9er:

They picked up Alex Green off waivers, but you know Chris Ivory's going to get hurt sooner or later.

But, who wants to go the madhouse they call the Jets. I think Hampton would rather staff with SF.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 1, 2013 at 6:32 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:

But, who wants to go the madhouse they call the Jets. I think Hampton would rather staff with SF.

I'm pretty sure he would rather go to a place he can play.

There's still guys like Cedric Benson out there they could sign too.
What's gonna happen with Okoye?
I can't say I'm disappointed that Trent Robinson didn't make the PS. That said, I was really hoping he'd be a potential future option at S coming out of college, where he was very productive in the Big 10. I initially thought the Niners got a good bargain in drafting him where they did. He just didn't progress at all and had many chances to make stand-out plays in the preseason.

Good to see Thomas making progress at S/CB, though, and now he continues with the team on the PS.
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Tuesday afternoon, the San Francisco 49ers waive/injured defensive tackles Lawrence Okoye and Lamar Divens, as they cut down to the 75-man roster limit. After several releases on Monday, Tuesday was all about injury designations.

A day later, both Okoye and Divens cleared waivers, which is not a big surprise. When a player is waive/injured, they are placed on the league's waiver wire, which means any team can place a claim on the player. If a team claims the player, that player must either remain on that new team's 53-man roster, or be waived again.

The 49ers now have two options. The players revert to the team's injured reserve list, where their salaries impact the salary cap. A team has the option of working out an injury settlement with the player, which would basically cut them loose. The 49ers agreed to an injury settlement with Darcel McBath, so he is now a free agent.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/8/28/4669690/lawrence-okoye-waivers-lamar-divens-injured-reserve-practice-squad

So to sum it up can keep him on IR and pay him his full salary I believe or do what they did with Darcel McBath and instead of paying him is full salary settled on 221K and said goodbye. He is now a FA and can sign with anyone when he is healthy including us although highly unlikely he will be back. Usually a team would just keep him on IR if we had interest in him like we did with Fleming.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 1, 2013 at 7:08 PM ]
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Stay on IR, since I havent heard of a injury settlement yet. They had 5 days from the 27th I believe, so 28, 29, 30, 31 and 1, today would of been that date for Okoye and Divens, and no news.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
He also picked Iupati, A. Davis, and signed Goodwin. What a huge shock late round talent / undrafted talent didn't all turn out to be pro bowlers.

a cantaloupe can pick a good o-lineman in the top 40; a genius gm finds guys after the top 100 that can make plays and be a legit starter. walsh drafted several guys late who were good o-linemen: quinlan, collie, wallace, sapolu. walsh never missed on an offensive lineman he drafted late. it looks like baalke has missed on every one he's drafted late. that means something.
hold off on proclaiming baalke a draft genius because he brings in already-highly-regarded guys. he needs his own quinlan, collie, wallace and sapolu, instead of omameh, bykowski, slowey and person. baalke isn't worthy of cult-of-personality status yet.
Originally posted by xcfan:
a cantaloupe can pick a good o-lineman in the top 40; a genius gm finds guys after the top 100 that can make plays and be a legit starter. walsh drafted several guys late who were good o-linemen: quinlan, collie, wallace, sapolu. walsh never missed on an offensive lineman he drafted late. it looks like baalke has missed on every one he's drafted late. that means something.
hold off on proclaiming baalke a draft genius because he brings in already-highly-regarded guys. he needs his own quinlan, collie, wallace and sapolu, instead of omameh, bykowski, slowey and person. baalke isn't worthy of cult-of-personality status yet.

Pretty sure there have been tons of draft busts at OL in the top 40. Also, helped that he had Bobb McKittrick coaching his picks. That being said Walsh was an amazing drafter. Of course Baalke isn't up to him yet but give the guy a break in 3 of his 4 drafts he's knocked it out of the park at least IMO. Maybe he's missed on mid to late round OL but most GM's have a hard time getting one good player in a draft. Baalke has added 3-4+ in his. Yeah he could be better but we are getting spoiled. So many badly run teams that can't draft to save their lives.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 1, 2013 at 7:24 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Tuesday afternoon, the San Francisco 49ers waive/injured defensive tackles Lawrence Okoye and Lamar Divens, as they cut down to the 75-man roster limit. After several releases on Monday, Tuesday was all about injury designations.

A day later, both Okoye and Divens cleared waivers, which is not a big surprise. When a player is waive/injured, they are placed on the league's waiver wire, which means any team can place a claim on the player. If a team claims the player, that player must either remain on that new team's 53-man roster, or be waived again.

The 49ers now have two options. The players revert to the team's injured reserve list, where their salaries impact the salary cap. A team has the option of working out an injury settlement with the player, which would basically cut them loose. The 49ers agreed to an injury settlement with Darcel McBath, so he is now a free agent.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/8/28/4669690/lawrence-okoye-waivers-lamar-divens-injured-reserve-practice-squad

So to sum it up can keep him on IR and pay him his full salary I believe or do what they did with Darcel McBath and instead of paying him is full salary settled on 221K and said goodbye. He is now a FA and can sign with anyone when he is healthy including us although highly unlikely he will be back. Usually a team would just keep him on IR if we had interest in him like we did with Fleming.

Thanks! Now to wait and see.