There are 168 users in the forums

The Official Kevin McDermott Experiment

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
He's a f**king LS.....

Yep. People are so worried over nothing. Like I said that come from behind Giants playoff game was over 10 years ago and people are acting like it's going to happen to us all season now. How often do you hear about that happening now? Once or twice a year? Also the dude in the Giants game hadn't played in over a year.

Its not just about the FG's. Its about the chemistry he has with the punter as well. Andy Lee is the best punter in the NFL, and I dont think its pure coincidence that Brian Jennings was his LS.

People only notice the LS when he screws up BIG. Like sends a snap over a punters head, or makes the holder have to dive out and pull it back in. There are so many instances where a FG is missed because of a poor snap, but we dont notice it. We just see the ball get shanked and blame the kicker. Just the timing of how a punter gets the ball, and where its placed is a big factor.

I like that we potentially have a legit replacement for Jennings who can start a new 15 year run, but we are now susceptible to bad snaps, which we werent before. Maybe McDermott is great right off the bat, and we never notice Jennings is gone. But theres still a good chance it ends up costing us points or field position this year, which always makes you nervous when you have a shot at the Super Bowl.
Very good post Niners99
Originally posted by Niners99:
Its not just about the FG's. Its about the chemistry he has with the punter as well. Andy Lee is the best punter in the NFL, and I dont think its pure coincidence that Brian Jennings was his LS.

People only notice the LS when he screws up BIG. Like sends a snap over a punters head, or makes the holder have to dive out and pull it back in. There are so many instances where a FG is missed because of a poor snap, but we dont notice it. We just see the ball get shanked and blame the kicker. Just the timing of how a punter gets the ball, and where its placed is a big factor.

I like that we potentially have a legit replacement for Jennings who can start a new 15 year run, but we are now susceptible to bad snaps, which we werent before. Maybe McDermott is great right off the bat, and we never notice Jennings is gone. But theres still a good chance it ends up costing us points or field position this year, which always makes you nervous when you have a shot at the Super Bowl.

Yeah.

I think it's clear this was a long-term decision. Jennings is the one to keep if you need to rely on someone for one season.
I'm not worried one bit about McDermott messing up a snap. No one else should be either.
Originally posted by mayo49:
We're talking about the long snapper, who cares.

he is a man of many crafts/skills
You just never wanna hear the name McDermott uttered by the game announcers (except to mention he replaced Mr. automatic longsnapper). If they don't then no worries.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
coaches think he's ready to fill in those shoes... but damn, I'd give away (lose) another super bowl if it meant having Jennings break that record with the Niners
[ Edited by LVJay on Sep 1, 2013 at 11:27 PM ]

Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Not "experience", experiment.

He made it through game 1....I'll accept experiment

Share 49ersWebzone