There are 180 users in the forums

Preseason 2013 - Week 4: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
The fact that all 3 of the backup OLBs can play on ST (and play well) helps to justify keeping all of them on the 53. I think C Johnson is an absolute lock to make the team now. Like BJ Daniels, Cam will be picked up in 5 seconds if he hits the waiver wire.

The LMJ injury makes the upcoming cuts even more interesting. The Niners now could conceivably put James on the PUP list (so he misses the first 6 weeks) which means they may have room for Hawkins (who replaces LMJ on ST) and/or RB J Hampton.

On the radio last night after the Hawkins TD, Ted Robinson said that very few NFL players could make that play and I agree. Hawkins, for all of his faults (many), is a very explosive player and frankly, the Niners lack that type of guy in their receiving corps right now. He may have even climbed up the depth chart over Baldwin (at least in terms of playing time) after last night's performance. If the Niners end up cutting him, he will also get picked up in 5 seconds (Raiders, Jags, etc.). If all of you noticed, he waited until he got to the sidelines to celebrate last night. He's learning. Right now, he's a guy I want on my team.

One other point, WR Chuck Jacobs might have played himself out of a Niner uniform last night. There is no room for him on the roster now so they will have to expose him to waivers. I suspect, after the past 2 weeks, he's earned himself an NFL gig somewhere. Alas, no room to stash all of these talents.

What an amazing off-season of acquisitions for the Niners!

Cheers!
Interesting idea to put James on the PUP list. That would give us one extra roster poster and buy the team over a month to continue working with a player that wouldn't make the practice squad. The only thing is unless the player that makes the roster with James being out of the picture performs out of his mind, he's cut the moment James is ready. It doesn't necessarily have to be another RB because I for one would love to see what a player like Anthony Dixon could do with the carries LaMichael James would normally get as the 3rd RB. Plus we don't have a running back that would bring to the table what James brings (more speed). Instead it would only be another bruiser if we kept Jewel Hampton now that James isn't available.

On the subject of this game, something felt very real about this. I am just amazed at the depth we have and it wasn't even like we were trying to score that much on San Diego. Our 2s and 3s are just that superior. It makes what wonder what guys like Quinton Patton, Vance McDonald, Kyle Williams, Jon Baldwin, etc can do with all the focus that will be on CK, Vernon Davis, Gore/Hunter, and Boldin. The "other" guy will likely get 1-on-1 cover for awhile until they begin to dominate teams. Then it will truly become pick your poison. On offense for opposing teams, there will be no rest for the weary (look out Seattle). We have an even more imposing NT, the Smith Brothers are healthy, Ahmad Brooks quietly continues to be an overlooked playmaker, and we have the best 1/1a ILB tandem in the NFL. Should our OLBs need a breather, we sub in Corey Lemonier. Seems unfair. Better us than anyone else :-). Even on defense, Phil Dawson looks to be David Akers from 2011. I just hope we put up a consistent, sustained effort week in and out. This will be a tough team to beat.
"He was supposed to not be that elusive"

Why do people keep saying this about Patton? He's always been very elusive, super quick feet, some nice juke moves, a very good YAC receiver. Go to the 3:05 mark of this video, its basically the exact same move that Cromartie whiffed and missed on. Only difference is that against San Diego he had blockers downfield to clear the way for him to get into the endzone. Also look at 3:50, 4:40 mark and the 4:56 mark as he shakes free of the DBs.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 30, 2013 at 9:00 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Interesting idea to put James on the PUP list. That would give us one extra roster poster and buy the team over a month to continue working with a player that wouldn't make the practice squad. The only thing is unless the player that makes the roster with James being out of the picture performs out of his mind, he's cut the moment James is ready. It doesn't necessarily have to be another RB because I for one would love to see what a player like Anthony Dixon could do with the carries LaMichael James would normally get as the 3rd RB. Plus we don't have a running back that would bring to the table what James brings (more speed). Instead it would only be another bruiser if we kept Jewel Hampton now that James isn't available.

On the subject of this game, something felt very real about this. I am just amazed at the depth we have and it wasn't even like we were trying to score that much on San Diego. Our 2s and 3s are just that superior. It makes what wonder what guys like Quinton Patton, Vance McDonald, Kyle Williams, Jon Baldwin, etc can do with all the focus that will be on CK, Vernon Davis, Gore/Hunter, and Boldin. The "other" guy will likely get 1-on-1 cover for awhile until they begin to dominate teams. Then it will truly become pick your poison. On offense for opposing teams, there will be no rest for the weary (look out Seattle). We have an even more imposing NT, the Smith Brothers are healthy, Ahmad Brooks quietly continues to be an overlooked playmaker, and we have the best 1/1a ILB tandem in the NFL. Should our OLBs need a breather, we sub in Corey Lemonier. Seems unfair. Better us than anyone else :-). Even on defense, Phil Dawson looks to be David Akers from 2011. I just hope we put up a consistent, sustained effort week in and out. This will be a tough team to beat.

Although it would be nice, LMJ is not eligible to be out on the PUP list. Unless I am completely wrong we have 4 choices: keep him, release him, IR DFR or IR. I think those are the only choices.
I can't wait to see Patton in a real game! He is a game breaker. We finally have a stacked team. Other teams will be feeding on our cast offs. Also on a side note, Seachickens are 4-0 this preseason= the Kiss of Death!
ManBearPig ... thanks, I keep saying that and people keep saying we can put him on the PUP list ... it must have been on the radio or something. Nobody can go on the PUP list if they have practiced with the team in training camp or pre-season ... right?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wrathman:
I can't wait to see Patton in a real game! He is a game breaker. We finally have a stacked team. Other teams will be feeding on our cast offs. Also on a side note, Seachickens are 4-0 this preseason= the Kiss of Death!

0-4 to begin the season
  • DBSYM
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersss:
Anyone know where I can watch the replay? Missed the actual game

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I would have posted it here instead.

Week 4 49ers vs Chargers 720p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKM_6zL7g-k
Originally posted by Scoots:
ManBearPig ... thanks, I keep saying that and people keep saying we can put him on the PUP list ... it must have been on the radio or something. Nobody can go on the PUP list if they have practiced with the team in training camp or pre-season ... right?

You are correct.
Originally posted by ManBearPig99:
Originally posted by Scoots:

You are correct.

Is this true? I know the NFI list (same rules as the PUP) are reserved for players who sustained injuries while not on the team (i.e. college; Lattimore) while the PUP list is reserved for players who sustained injuries while with their respective teams (i.e. Crabtree, Manningham, etc.). So if the team is cautious (like they always are) why wouldn't they have the option to place LMJ on the PUP the first 6 weeks of the season?

http://sfo.scout.com/a.z?s=69&p=9&c=2&cid=1320094&nid=6939748&fhn=1
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 31, 2013 at 6:33 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Is this true? I know the NFI list (same rules as the PUP) are reserved for players who sustained injuries while not on the team (i.e. college; Lattimore) while the PUP list is reserved for players who sustained injuries while with their respective teams (i.e. Crabtree, Manningham, etc.). So if the team is cautious (like they always are) why wouldn't they have the option to place LMJ on the PUP the first 6 weeks of the season?

http://sfo.scout.com/a.z?s=69&p=9&c=2&cid=1320094&nid=6939748&fhn=1

The PUP list is for players who were hurt before training camp. I am pretty sure that if a player practices once TC opens he is ineligible to go to the PUP list.

Chris

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
"He was supposed to not be that elusive"

Why do people keep saying this about Patton? He's always been very elusive, super quick feet, some nice juke moves, a very good YAC receiver. Go to the 3:05 mark of this video, its basically the exact same move that Cromartie whiffed and missed on. Only difference is that against San Diego he had blockers downfield to clear the way for him to get into the endzone. Also look at 3:50, 4:40 mark and the 4:56 mark as he shakes free of the DBs.

Just talking about the scouting reports I read when he was drafted. Clearly that's not the case.
Originally posted by ManBearPig99:
The PUP list is for players who were hurt before training camp. I am pretty sure that if a player practices once TC opens he is ineligible to go to the PUP list.

Chris

So if he's injured during pre season (or the season), what reserve option do we have besides IR?
Marvin, as you said this isn't about the game, but the settlement stunned everyone...problem was there are a bunch of older , retired guys who need the money now. And $765Mil goes a long way to helping them. What wasn't addressed, was the players playing now. Not much left for them when they get neurologic sx, or arthritis, or whatever. The money really was a sop to take care of the guys who needed it now, and they put a lot of pressure on NFL and PA. to get something done now.

What I don't know is how the contract reads, but I know for a fact , if disclosure was permitted , the settlement would have been a lot higher. In a few yrs the data collected is going to reflect what is known now, but not proven...and that is this is like being in the Coliseum with the gladiators....who either won or got carried out on their shields. In a few yrs the league is going to have to contend with huge data studies showing what their own studies already show....this is a dangerous sport and money should be set aside for guys who get really dinged up and need medical help later in life. It's gonna happen. NFL now has about 4-5 yrs or less before the big studies are made public, and then the NFL is going to have to pony up....really it should be that an amount of each yr /team is taken out for reserve of help to those who were injured but didn't know it til later in life. It will happen to guys playing today, and settlement avoided considering those guys.

Overall tho, I understood where PA was coming from.
Share 49ersWebzone