LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Preseason 2013 - Week 4: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 5280High:
It's gonna be hard to keep 5 OLBs, not sure how its gonna work out. At first I thought Skuta was a sure bet but now Im not so sure if they are dead set on only keeping 4 OLBs. LMJ will be fine, the hate on him is the typical preseason BS.
-I see Robinson/Thomas getting cut and one of them making the PS.
-Gray should make it to the PS so we only only keep 3 TE's
-Collie did not help his case, if we do keep 6 wrs it looks like Hawkins will get that opportunity
-Im not sure who wins out between Tuku and Jerrod-Eddie, the coaches seem to love eddies improvement and Dobbs is better than both so one of them has to go.
-Moody should win the spot over Stupar, Stupar had some great games but so has Moody and just from memory Moody seemed to get mentioned more by the beat writers for standing out

Over all this is a ridiculously strong roster and we have 11 picks in next years draft already... its a great time to be a Niners fan!

I don't even think it's a question...Moody makes it over Stupar.

Yeah, we have 11 picks....and that doesnt count compensatory picks. We should get at LEAST a three for Dashon. Not sure if there would be another low round pick in there for Walker, RJF, and Sopoaga.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Yeah, we have 11 picks....and that doesnt count compensatory picks. We should get at LEAST a three for Dashon. Not sure if there would be another low round pick in there for Walker, RJF, and Sopoaga.

3'rd round is the highest comp. pick available. We should get a couple pretty decent picks though because Walker/Goldson/RJF all signed relatively large contracts compared to the FA's we signed.
Looking forward to all things 49ers & high on the list is reading the pearls of wisdom which can only come from the one & only Marvin49 !!! Hats off to you sir.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Nicely done, as always. Looking forward to reading these after regular season games now.

Agree. Ready for week 1!
If I could take a sleeping pill and wake up at 11am on September the 8th, I would.
nice Marvin
Anyone know where I can watch the replay? Missed the actual game
Originally posted by 49ersss:

Whomeam will probably post a video of the game soon on this forum. Keep an eye out for the thread.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by 49ersss:

Whomeam will probably post a video of the game soon on this forum. Keep an eye out for the thread.

I heard that NFL Network will replay the game on Sunday 12pm pacific standard.
Originally posted by sweetDwilly:
If I could take a sleeping pill and wake up at 11am on September the 8th, I would.

Agree. The next week of my life is completely useless.

The fact that all 3 of the backup OLBs can play on ST (and play well) helps to justify keeping all of them on the 53. I think C Johnson is an absolute lock to make the team now. Like BJ Daniels, Cam will be picked up in 5 seconds if he hits the waiver wire.

The LMJ injury makes the upcoming cuts even more interesting. The Niners now could conceivably put James on the PUP list (so he misses the first 6 weeks) which means they may have room for Hawkins (who replaces LMJ on ST) and/or RB J Hampton.

On the radio last night after the Hawkins TD, Ted Robinson said that very few NFL players could make that play and I agree. Hawkins, for all of his faults (many), is a very explosive player and frankly, the Niners lack that type of guy in their receiving corps right now. He may have even climbed up the depth chart over Baldwin (at least in terms of playing time) after last night's performance. If the Niners end up cutting him, he will also get picked up in 5 seconds (Raiders, Jags, etc.). If all of you noticed, he waited until he got to the sidelines to celebrate last night. He's learning. Right now, he's a guy I want on my team.

One other point, WR Chuck Jacobs might have played himself out of a Niner uniform last night. There is no room for him on the roster now so they will have to expose him to waivers. I suspect, after the past 2 weeks, he's earned himself an NFL gig somewhere. Alas, no room to stash all of these talents.

What an amazing off-season of acquisitions for the Niners!

Cheers!
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
The fact that all 3 of the backup OLBs can play on ST (and play well) helps to justify keeping all of them on the 53. I think C Johnson is an absolute lock to make the team now. Like BJ Daniels, Cam will be picked up in 5 seconds if he hits the waiver wire.

The LMJ injury makes the upcoming cuts even more interesting. The Niners now could conceivably put James on the PUP list (so he misses the first 6 weeks) which means they may have room for Hawkins (who replaces LMJ on ST) and/or RB J Hampton.

On the radio last night after the Hawkins TD, Ted Robinson said that very few NFL players could make that play and I agree. Hawkins, for all of his faults (many), is a very explosive player and frankly, the Niners lack that type of guy in their receiving corps right now. He may have even climbed up the depth chart over Baldwin (at least in terms of playing time) after last night's performance. If the Niners end up cutting him, he will also get picked up in 5 seconds (Raiders, Jags, etc.). If all of you noticed, he waited until he got to the sidelines to celebrate last night. He's learning. Right now, he's a guy I want on my team.

One other point, WR Chuck Jacobs might have played himself out of a Niner uniform last night. There is no room for him on the roster now so they will have to expose him to waivers. I suspect, after the past 2 weeks, he's earned himself an NFL gig somewhere. Alas, no room to stash all of these talents.

What an amazing off-season of acquisitions for the Niners!

Cheers!

Hawkins isn't that explosive. In the one year out of five where he actually produced more than single digit catches, he averaged about 10 yards per catch. By comparison, Jon Baldwin averaged 16 yards per catch last year.

It was a great play, no doubt, but it doesn't erase 5 years. He could, however, be a reliable WR if we had a rash of injuries--beyond the ones we're already dealing with.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Aug 30, 2013 at 7:01 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by sweetDwilly:

Agree. The next week of my life is completely useless.

So true, so true.
Originally posted by Disp:

3'rd round is the highest comp. pick available. We should get a couple pretty decent picks though because Walker/Goldson/RJF all signed relatively large contracts compared to the FA's we signed.

I know 3rd is highest...but it's possible to get multiple picks. That was my point by saying at LEAST.
I know 3rd is highest...but it's possible to get multiple picks. That was my point by saying at LEAST.

Yep, we should definitely get a couple picks, but who knows with the mysterious formula.
Share 49ersWebzone