There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is the Option/Pistol going to be shredded in the NFL or have sustainability?

Originally posted by jreff22:
done with both

Originally posted by 9erempire:
done with it too.

Don't worry, you guys will be back on the wagon after it explodes again on Sunday.
Originally posted by verb1der:
done with both

done with it too.

Don't worry, you guys will be back on the wagon after it explodes again on Sunday.
Nope. If it only works against teams with bad D's...its pretty useless has a primary system.
Nope. If it only works against teams with bad D's...its pretty useless has a primary system.

for now.
done with both

done with it too.

I'm not sure what that says about the Niner D then because they got abused by the RO last night. Seattle basically did the 49ers a favor when they would deviate from it and try stretch/sweep plays that almost never worked. But the RO was going for 6-7 yards a pop all night up the middle, and Wilson had some nice runs the couple times he kept it. I don't think the 49ers should abandon the Pistol/RO, but they have to be prepared and quicker to adjust when it's just not working against a particular team.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
done with both

done with it too.

I'm not sure what that says about the Niner D then because they got abused by the RO last night. Seattle basically did the 49ers a favor when they would deviate from it and try stretch/sweep plays that almost never worked. But the RO was going for 6-7 yards a pop all night up the middle, and Wilson had some nice runs the couple times he kept it. I don't think the 49ers should abandon the Pistol/RO, but they have to be prepared and quicker to adjust when it's just not working against a particular team.
I wouldn't say we got abused by it. The D did very well IMO and eventually got gassed.

I said last year I thought Kap played better from under center and in the traditional style formations. We have committed too much to this thing and it has killed our run game, making us an unbalanced team. When Harbs came in, in his first presser he said we would run the WCO....where the hell is it?
done with both

done with it too.

I wouldn't say we got abused by it. The D did very well IMO and eventually got gassed.

I said last year I thought Kap played better from under center and in the traditional style formations. We have committed too much to this thing and it has killed our run game, making us an unbalanced team. When Harbs came in, in his first presser he said we would run the WCO....where the hell is it?

My best guess...it moved to Kansas City. lol
done with both

done with it too.

done with both

done with it too.

Just wanted to bring this topic back to light...

Where are all the Pistol/Read Option faithful now? Is it still a sustainable, primary offense for us? Or have we gone back to the traditional offense with power running, Kap under center and making plays with his legs? Wonder what the breakdown of pistol/option plays are vs traditional pro style over the last few weeks.
Pistol offense = drive killer
Think you need more credible targets to throw to then just Boldin and Davis.

Just a thought.
mario manningham will be back soon so i think the offense gets a boost in things it is capable of doing. i could see the pistol returning every once in a while
Originally posted by DrGonzo00:

Where are all the Pistol/Read Option faithful now? Is it still a sustainable, primary offense for us? Or have we gone back to the traditional offense with power running, Kap under center and making plays with his legs? Wonder what the breakdown of pistol/option plays are vs traditional pro style over the last few weeks.

What I want to see is a counter run from the read option. Teams are overstacking the side of the run. Would be awesome if we run it where it would normally go to the right but pull the RG to the left and run a counter. It would really give defenses something to think about.
Originally posted by DrGonzo00:

Not as a base formation, but it's a great wrinkle. The reverses and misdirection run plays they run out of the Pistol is amazing! John Lynch kept complimenting it yesterday.
Is dead..