There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is the Option/Pistol going to be shredded in the NFL or have sustainability?

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Didn't Green Bay send coaches to A&M to learn how to stop the read/option? Because so far Rice seems to be doing a pretty good job of using it against them.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Didn't Green Bay send coaches to A&M to learn how to stop the read/option? Because so far Rice seems to be doing a pretty good job of using it against them.

God I hope that's true, if so, Patton's going for 200 against the Packers.
Originally posted by NFLBuddah:
It doesn't matter if there's an unsportsmanlike penalty called for roughing. By the 3rd one the QB will be gone.

You're under the impression that the DE is going to spear the QB or what? Suggs approach of making contact with Kaepernick was shoving him about 5 yards back.....I'm fairly sure Kaepernick can handle that.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Jcool:

God I hope that's true, if so, Patton's going for 200 against the Packers.

332 total yards, 16 first downs, 40 total plays and 8.3 yards per play for Rice in the first half.
Originally posted by NFLBuddah:
It doesn't matter if there's an unsportsmanlike penalty called for roughing. By the 3rd one the QB will be gone.

You're under the impression that the DE is going to spear the QB or what? Suggs approach of making contact with Kaepernick was shoving him about 5 yards back.....I'm fairly sure Kaepernick can handle that.

Absolutely correct. Everyone says the Ravens shutdown our read-option by allowing gore to run wild and giving Kap a hard shove. I'm still waiting to see a QB get hurt while running the option.
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Absolutely correct. Everyone says the Ravens shutdown our read-option by allowing gore to run wild and giving Kap a hard shove. I'm still waiting to see a QB get hurt while running the option.

Back in the day, that was a realistic fear, the rules then allowed the QB to get absolutely pummeled, that's no longer true, the defense might still get some dings in, but not easily, and not consistently, and the only way that strategy works is if you're dropping the QB to the ground almost every time, not knocking them backwards a few yards. The goal is to prevent the QB from getting back up on their feet.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Opponents in the league I coach have tried to stop our Read-Option plays using the Ravens strategy. We (my staff and I) simply adjusted by adding an extra option on some plays. For example, we'll line up in Pistol with the RB behind the QB and the H-Back to the right/left of the QB, fake a handoff to the H-Back coming across the face of the QB, then a simple toss or handoff to the RB going the other direction. If the defences want to be aggressive and attack our QB using the DE or OLB, they are doing us a favor by taking that player out of the play. The Offense doesn't lose by having another potential ballcarrier in the backfield and in contrast, you are Blocking/Negating your defensive player if you commit him to hitting the QB and nothing more regardless of the development of the play.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Back in the day, that was a realistic fear, the rules then allowed the QB to get absolutely pummeled, that's no longer true, the defense might still get some dings in, but not easily, and not consistently, and the only way that strategy works is if you're dropping the QB to the ground almost every time, not knocking them backwards a few yards. The goal is to prevent the QB from getting back up on their feet.

Exactly. And people also are failing to realize that the offense can simply assign a blocker to protect the QB in those situations. An H-Back, Tight End, Fullback or extra running back can do the job. Sure it reduces the numbers you have in terms of downfield blocking, but, depending on down/distance it is an effective counter.
Of course Dallas is running the pistol lol
Focuses on stopping the read option.

Allows WR to get 208 yards.

Originally posted by NinerGod:
Focuses on stopping the read option.

Allows WR to get 208 yards.

A. Boldin 13 --208-- 1TD

V. Davis 6-- 98-- 2TD

VD didn't do too bad either
Originally posted by SaksV:
Opponents in the league I coach have tried to stop our Read-Option plays using the Ravens strategy. We (my staff and I) simply adjusted by adding an extra option on some plays. For example, we'll line up in Pistol with the RB behind the QB and the H-Back to the right/left of the QB, fake a handoff to the H-Back coming across the face of the QB, then a simple toss or handoff to the RB going the other direction. If the defences want to be aggressive and attack our QB using the DE or OLB, they are doing us a favor by taking that player out of the play. The Offense doesn't lose by having another potential ballcarrier in the backfield and in contrast, you are Blocking/Negating your defensive player if you commit him to hitting the QB and nothing more regardless of the development of the play.

Idk what league you are in but ANY time that see you do this on tape, will simply adjust by playing a single high safety bc they have no real deep threat fears if you are telegraphing the play by lining up in that formation. Just an fyi
Focusing on the read option allows Kaepernick to get 400+ yards. LOL. Pick your poison NFL.
done with both
done with it too.