There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is the Option/Pistol going to be shredded in the NFL or have sustainability?

Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by UKNiners:
Originally posted by Rascal:
The Pistol will be further finetuned. Is not going anywhere, even Peyton Manning is running it.

Really? Peyton Manning is not running it. They lined up in the pistol vs us in preseason week 1 as a joke. You really think the best thrower and offensive general of his generation is really going to resort to the read option?

As too whether it lasts, probably not. It will be somewhat succeful this year but phase out just like the wildcat from 5 years ago when Sparano ran it in Miami. And this worries me. Can CK be strictly a passing QB? He has the tools, however, his passing success is a product of playing the run e.g. Read option, to a degree. What happens when that is shutdown? Additionally, will head coaches continue to be willing to put their QBs in harms way? I don't see that lasting either. Give JH credit for running an O to his QBs strengths.

Clearly you are confused.

Pistol and read option are different things. They didn't do it "as a joke".

All the pistol does is allow power run plays in either direction from a "shotgun like" set. The RB can line up BEHIND the QB. It is simply a formation.

When it was first installed at Nevada, there was no read option element. You will see MANY teams run the Pistol this year.

I don't think anyone is "confused" M49. It is just a negative attitude towards anything related to Kaep.
After playing the playoffs and seeing how easy it was to get yards in the read option, I don't care what it is," Gore said. "It could be read option or other plays, as long as we get great plays from it, we can run whatever."

I was watching USC vs. Hawaii last night, and one of the announcers was talking about how read option QBs were going to start getting hit hard by NFL defenses....I think that's the veiled threat being bandied about by the league's defensive coordinators.
It will come down to how many players can run it and of those, how many stay healthy. Hopefully we can slowly transition away from putting Kap in a place where he is a constant target. If we use it a few times a game its more likely to catch a D off guard.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Was hoping to not get a definition of the difference. I am used to the Pistol, but have heard many say these in the same mouthful. Thought they were grouping both.

What I really wonder is how the officials are going react to our QB this year (running what looked just like the Pistol at Nevada that I have watched the last 7 years)?

Atlanta was hands off, Baltimore popped 'em.

Why are NFL defensive experts so confident they have a way to stop? Steeler's Tomlin acts like this is a passing fad. Seems a great variance of some those who really know the game.

Not unlike whistling loud at a moonless night when walking alone down a country back road. You need something to stop you from shaking because you're scared sh-tless.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
So most think the read option will die ... presuming the QB will get killed ... meaning officiating allow QB to take a beating after handing off?

Yeah.

For such a "humble, classy" guy, he sure seems outspoken on this issue.

Hope we smash his team again even more than we did last time.

To his credit, the Steelers did one of the best jobs at containing Griffin last year. But that was mainly due to the fact that Pittsburgh has good talent, scheme on D and run a 3-4, all necessities to being able to deal with pistol and read option.

But at the same time he allowed Tebowmania to go on for way longer than it deserved to. No excuse for that even if Roethlisberger was hobbled.

As far as people saying Capers should be embarrassed about the playoff loss, I'd be more embarrassed losing to a one dimensional Tebow led offense than losing to a team with a stacked OL, RB, good WR/TE and talented QB in a blowout.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Aug 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM ]
Originally posted by kray28:
I was watching USC vs. Hawaii last night, and one of the announcers was talking about how read option QBs were going to start getting hit hard by NFL defenses....I think that's the veiled threat being bandied about by the league's defensive coordinators.

This is a great post. I said something simliar to it the other day. It really feels like people are trying to scare the teams that run it out of running it. If the answer really is hitting the qb like the ravens did. we will win 9 out of 10 games they try that s**t in. kap told steve young he never got hit hard last year.I havent heard anything scheme wise thats going to stop these guys. The closer we get to the season the more I think they really have no answer!
Originally posted by UKNiners:
I'm aware of what they are - no confusion here. And I doubt MANY teams will run it. There will be a few non creative, copycats that will use it, but by in large most coaches have already commented on how it's not for them, one and two, how they feels its a fad and have studied stopping it.

If you can't honestly admit to yourself that you wouldn't be worried about CK not running these formations, than you're confused.

I don't see how coaches can game plan to stop the pistol formation anymore than they can game plan against the I Formation. And we've we've seen Kaep successfully pass out of traditional formations plenty of times, so I wouldn't worry about it.

He won't be able to continue doing to read option, but he's actually a good passer. It seems the read option was used because it was working, not so much because we need it in order to be successful.
Read option. If QB reading containtment/outside-rusher, if rusher playing QB and containing, QB hands off in all those situations and discontinues fake ... he can't be touched, I believe. Sounds pretty safe.

I mean a collapsing pocket is no sweet thing for a QB ... isn't that where th bulk of QB injuries occur?
The "pistol" is called the pistol in comparison to the shotgun. Instead of lining up 7 yards behind the center, the QB is only 4-5 yards back. Instead of a big LONG gun like a shot gun, the pistol is a shorter one. The RB is at the same depth as in the I-formation. First and foremost, it gives the RB more time to read the defense and set up blocks than if he were more shallow. Also, the QB gets the ball faster and begin to execute the play more quickly, thereby giving the defense less time at the post snap read. All of this is no different than any other formation. It just so happens that pistol depth is also the depth at which most teams initiate the read option.

Does that make it more clear.
Originally posted by outside4949:
This is a great post. I said something simliar to it the other day. It really feels like people are trying to scare the teams that run it out of running it. If the answer really is hitting the qb like the ravens did. we will win 9 out of 10 games they try that s**t in. kap told steve young he never got hit hard last year.I havent heard anything scheme wise thats going to stop these guys. The closer we get to the season the more I think they really have no answer!

I can't imagine a play where they're not trying to level the qb whenever they can.
Originally posted by outside4949:

My coworker is a really smart guy and a great football mind. He says he saw the Pistol a few years ago and predicted it was the next big thing and it ain't going anywhere.

The deal is this:

You can't have both of these at the same time:

A) Contain
B) Pass Rush

Overpursuit finally has a price to be paid. If teams play D to shut down read option 100%, the pass rush will suffer.

For 1st and 2nd downs showing the pistol, you're going to have to pick your poison. No different than you're picking your poison whether you want to rush 3 or blitz 7 guys on a guy like Rodgers.

Teams were starting to pay a price in 2011 when their pass rush oriented defensive lines were chewed up by OLs like ours. The pistol adds another element to that.

After watching Kaepernick come from behind in the playoffs in 3 separate games (esp. SB), the idea of Kaepernick in the pocket exclusively is absolutely A-OK.

To be able to add more spice to the situations, esp. after not doing it much is what will be great. If you had to guess last year that Kaepernick would rush for 171 yards in a football game, which one of 19 did you think it would be?

Teams are going to have to start going to a 3-4 alignment to stop the pistol and read option (this has been well documented as of late). How many teams in the NFL with good defenses run a 3-4 besides us?

AFC:

Baltimore
Pittsburgh
Houston
Kansas City
Cleveland

NFC:

Arizona
Seattle (hybrid looks)

The Eagles and Saints use a 3-4 now but how good are they? Chicago, Giants, Falcons, Vikings, Lions, Rams are all 4-3 teams.

Quite honestly once we get outside the NFC West, there are not many stout defenses against what we're capable of, at least in our conference.

And with the exception of Seattle, teams implementing the 3-4 for specific teams like us, Redskins, Panthers, Seahawks, etc. cannot be as effective as those who specialize in it week in, week out.

At least that's my hope.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Aug 30, 2013 at 2:37 PM ]
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
You can run the Pistol Formation without utilizing the Read-Option play.
I've been running the Pistol on my high school team since 2010 (I was running a WCO very similar to Andy Reid's prior to this) and our QBs aren't athletic enough to run read option, so we just call regular plays. It's really not that complicated lolz
Does anybody trust Seattle to not try and take a cheap shot?
Originally posted by jreff22:
Does anybody trust Seattle to not try and take a cheap shot?

If they want to cheat and take cheap shots they have plenty of chances through out the course of any game against any team. imo