There are 281 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is the Option/Pistol going to be shredded in the NFL or have sustainability?

Some defensive NFL pundits claim to have an answer to shut it down. Most involve leveling the QB and every turn. The problem with this, if I understand the official interpretation, is if an OLB/DE clobbers the QB after he hands off (Pistol/Option read) AND HE DISCONTIUES the fake (and stands still or back pedals), it will invoke a roughing the QB penalty.

Falcons tried to contain, but didn't hit our QB.
Ravens did. Suggs made a lot of contact on our QB. Some might be penalties this year?

Kap didn't run in pre-season that I can think of, but I believe Daniels did (McCoy too?) and he back pedaled after hand off. I think this means Roman is in tune with this interpretation?

But what is your thoughts on how this unfolds?
[ Edited by OldJoe on Aug 30, 2013 at 11:42 AM ]
pistol here to stay like the shotgun, read option may come and go. but against unprepared undisaplined teams it would probably always be useful.
They should run it in the hurry up offense
For starters the pistol isnt a play but a formation. Secondly the read option is just that an option. Just because a team is in the pistol doesnt mean the QB is going to run. Its easy for pundits to say all you have to do is level the QB. That goes for all plays and formations.
You aren't going to be able to do that as much this year. Teams will kill Kaep if we run it too much. The book on it is to hit the QB and keep hitting the QB. We should bring it out in the playoffs only. Honestly I think Kaeps big runs will be when the pocket breaks down and he runs out of there. I don't think we will do a lot of read option this year. Probably some.
Kap running the Read Option out of the Pistol formation will still be successful, IMO. too many weapons to have to pay attention to. this team is stacked.
The Pistol will be further finetuned. Is not going anywhere, even Peyton Manning is running it.
I think we will use it sparingly to be honest. I think Harbaugh still wants to run the ball from power formations and have kaep fine tune his skills just as a passer in general. I think we will see some emphasis on sliding and moving in the pocket to get the D on its toes and hit receivers a lot more. Think Aaron Rodgers 2011 but better!
Originally posted by jcashen87:
I think we will use it sparingly to be honest. I think Harbaugh still wants to run the ball from power formations and have kaep fine tune his skills just as a passer in general. I think we will see some emphasis on sliding and moving in the pocket to get the D on its toes and hit receivers a lot more. Think Aaron Rodgers 2011 but better!

People around the league forget and don't even know Kaep has a great arm. He has a cannon and he's accurate too. He will be mostly a pocket passer. He is already good at that and will further fine tune it.
Originally posted by kingairta:
For starters the pistol isnt a play but a formation. Secondly the read option is just that an option. Just because a team is in the pistol doesnt mean the QB is going to run. Its easy for pundits to say all you have to do is level the QB. That goes for all plays and formations.

I can see the read option being run by Kap in goal line situations and in the playoffs where there's no holding back. Otherwise, Kap should scramble for run yardage. I don't care how big and badass he is, he's too valuable to be running on designed runs (option keepers). The 49ers can still fake the read-option with the intention of the play to be a RB run all the way. It will still freeze the DE that is being "read".
While everyone is worried about the read/option, my guess is that Harbaugh/Roman have something knew up theri sleeve...like no huddle.

Pistol isn't going anywhere because it's a viable formation...read option will be a weapon in the box but it won't nor has it ever been their entire offense.
Originally posted by Rascal:
The Pistol will be further finetuned. Is not going anywhere, even Peyton Manning is running it.

Really? Peyton Manning is not running it. They lined up in the pistol vs us in preseason week 1 as a joke. You really think the best thrower and offensive general of his generation is really going to resort to the read option?

As too whether it lasts, probably not. It will be somewhat succeful this year but phase out just like the wildcat from 5 years ago when Sparano ran it in Miami. And this worries me. Can CK be strictly a passing QB? He has the tools, however, his passing success is a product of playing the run e.g. Read option, to a degree. What happens when that is shutdown? Additionally, will head coaches continue to be willing to put their QBs in harms way? I don't see that lasting either. Give JH credit for running an O to his QBs strengths.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
While everyone is worried about the read/option, my guess is that Harbaugh/Roman have something knew up theri sleeve...like no huddle.

Pistol isn't going anywhere because it's a viable formation...read option will be a weapon in the box but it won't nor has it ever been their entire offense.
This. Pistol formation is permanent and it resembles max protect at times. Don't see how QB gets hit more than he would in the gun
Can we just ban these threads..........it's a retarded premise. The Pistol isn't going to be "shredded" anymore than the Shotgun or the I-Formation.
Originally posted by UKNiners:
Originally posted by Rascal:
The Pistol will be further finetuned. Is not going anywhere, even Peyton Manning is running it.

Really? Peyton Manning is not running it. They lined up in the pistol vs us in preseason week 1 as a joke. You really think the best thrower and offensive general of his generation is really going to resort to the read option?

As too whether it lasts, probably not. It will be somewhat succeful this year but phase out just like the wildcat from 5 years ago when Sparano ran it in Miami. And this worries me. Can CK be strictly a passing QB? He has the tools, however, his passing success is a product of playing the run e.g. Read option, to a degree. What happens when that is shutdown? Additionally, will head coaches continue to be willing to put their QBs in harms way? I don't see that lasting either. Give JH credit for running an O to his QBs strengths.

Clearly you are confused.

Pistol and read option are different things. They didn't do it "as a joke".

All the pistol does is allow power run plays in either direction from a "shotgun like" set. The RB can line up BEHIND the QB. It is simply a formation.

When it was first installed at Nevada, there was no read option element. You will see MANY teams run the Pistol this year.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 30, 2013 at 12:27 PM ]