There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Starter at WR opposite Anquan Boldin?

Starter at WR opposite Anquan Boldin?

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
moore may start the season opposite boldin but i doudt he can fight off patton for long. this guy is a playmaker

Whoever starts won't hold off Patton for long. He should be #2 from day one. But he will be soon enough anyway. Because if they put him in at #3 they will find he just makes too many plays to keep off the field.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
For what the team wants to do on offense, I think Moore gets the start at WR2 Week 1 but Patton will eventually replace him once he has a couple meaningful games under his belt. Kyle Williams shouldn't be in the mix IMO. Like a few others on this forum, I played WR before and I can tell KW has hit hi ceiling already....which isn't saying much. He can't separate at all from tight coverage. He rounds off his routes if they're beyond 10 yards in depth. He can't out jump defenders on a consistent basis. He isn't a reliable run blocker.
The only things going in KW's favor is his familiarity with the playbook, his special teams value (questionable). He's made a career off beating coverage almost exclusively because of COMBO routes. What does that mean? It means he can't get open consistenly by running one-man routes. He needs HELP from another more threatening receiver playing on the same side of the formation as him, or clearing the zone that he ends up occupying...Go look at past film, KW just doesn't cut it as a #2 WR. He isn't even a dependable #3 if you ask me...
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
For what the team wants to do on offense, I think Moore gets the start at WR2 Week 1 but Patton will eventually replace him once he has a couple meaningful games under his belt. Kyle Williams shouldn't be in the mix IMO. Like a few others on this forum, I played WR before and I can tell KW has hit hi ceiling already....which isn't saying much. He can't separate at all from tight coverage. He rounds off his routes if they're beyond 10 yards in depth. He can't out jump defenders on a consistent basis. He isn't a reliable run blocker.

The only things going in KW's favor is his familiarity with the playbook, his special teams value (questionable). He's made a career off beating coverage almost exclusively because of COMBO routes. What does that mean? It means he can't get open consistenly by running one-man routes. He needs HELP from another more threatening receiver playing on the same side of the formation as him, or clearing the zone that he ends up occupying...Go look at past film, KW just doesn't cut it as a #2 WR. He isn't even a dependable #3 if you ask me...
i think its pretty clear that Patton offers more than Williams, but wouldn't be at all surprised if Williams is initially ahead of him based on experience/familiarity w the system. I'm more interested in the race between him and Marlon Moore, who I thought would be nothing more than camp fodder. I think Moore might actually be decent; he seems versatile, reliable, and athletic.

BUT an even cooler thing to think about is the WR depth chart if/when Crabs returns later this year, and by this point Patton is thriving as Boldin's complement. Assuming Crabs returns at a level almost indistinguishable from where he left off (touching wood) , I wonder where our offense goes from there. I think its fairly certain that Boldin and Crabs are starters, but if Patton continues to tear it up and be a key playmaker, I think a 3 WR set scheme might become more appealing than ever before. So curious/anxious to see what Greg Roman does with this offense, one that was born to run but possibly maturing into a dynamic aerial attack.

I love Kaepernick
Kaepernick to Patton makes me feel some type of waaaayyyyyyyyy!!!!!
Are we just dismissing Collie? He is an excellent slot guy that knows how to run precise routes. I dont mind seeing him #3 WR lined up in the slot especially on 3rd downs as he can get to a spot and catch the ball well.

I would say start Moore #2 and see what he can do. Got to give a guy a chance to make some plays. Let Patton come in #4 or when others need a breather (or certain packages designed for him). LOVED That TD he scored last night.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
Are we just dismissing Collie?

Seemed like most beatwriters/media don't expect Collie to even make the team.

Anyway, I am fine with either Kyle W, Moore, or Patton getting the first start. I do expect Patton to be the starter over time though. Really just comes down to how they are practicing... and that's something most or all of us are not privy to.
Patton, hes a threat everytime he catch the ball, dude have explosiveness
I am a fan of Kyle Williams. I never played football and I don't know what happens as far as him getting open. I do know that ever since he made those two disastrous plays he has had an attitude and a work ethic that I like. I was making plays and coming into his own at the end of the year. That being said, Patton is going to bump him. I'm not sure what Moore has but, the coaches seem high on him. One of these receivers will find a starting job on another team as a #2 next year. It's such a shame that Crabtree is hurt. I hope that Boldin can work something out with the 49ers to stay at least one more year. I know it's a stretch considering the other players that need to be extended but, this offense would be scary with Crabs, Boldin, and Patton. I feel like although a really big receiver with good hands would be good but, Boldin is insane when it comes to jump balls. He's so strong and clamps his pincers down on the ball and doesn't let go. Maybe a really fast receiver would help but, I personally would rather have a guy that can actually catch the ball and do something with it. I don't know how many receivers get drafted high because of their 40 time and then are just crap receivers when they step onto the field.
Are we just dismissing Collie? He is an excellent slot guy that knows how to run precise routes. I dont mind seeing him #3 WR lined up in the slot especially on 3rd downs as he can get to a spot and catch the ball well.

I would say start Moore #2 and see what he can do. Got to give a guy a chance to make some plays. Let Patton come in #4 or when others need a breather (or certain packages designed for him). LOVED That TD he scored last night.

yes, we are dismissing collie
Not even close.

I now many of you all will flip BUT the more playing time this guy gets the less likely I feel we'll resign Crabbs to a BIG deal.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

yes, we are dismissing collie
I was thinking Collie could end up starting for us earlier in the offseason.

But now, I think he's my 7th WR, which means I doubt he makes the club.

I'd rather see us give Hawkins or Baldwin a chance.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by zillabeast:
I say Marlon Moore, with Patton as the #3, the secret weapon.

Kyle Williams can be cut for all i care.

I'm with you, but there's no way Kyle Williams is released. He was having a good camp before he got injured, but with that said, its not like he distance himself form the other receivers. So Marlon Moore is my choice also.

What are Marlon Moore and Collie better at than this guy?

Oh yeah....... NOTHING!......
Patton looks great. In the preseason. Williams should start. If appropriate, Patton should later take over with KW in the slot.