There are 389 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Starter at WR opposite Anquan Boldin?

Starter at WR opposite Anquan Boldin?

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Push Moore to #4... have Patton & Kyle take the #2 & #3 spots.

I would go

Boldin
Patton
Moore
Hawkins
Baldwin

Hawkins has been more productive in the NFL than Williams. He had another good game tonight, and one fabulous play.

Cox looks like a better punt returner than Williams.

James, Hunter, and Hawkins can return kicks.

Williams will be a free agent next year. Developing Baldwin would be a better med-term project.

At this point the only thing saving Baldwin is his "potential" and being associated with a 1st round pick. He's probably the 6th best WR on the team at the moment. He's had what, one good catch to make up for 2 years of bad drops?
5280, he might not dress for first few games, but I wouldn't bet on it. The guy is a massive target, catches the ball easily in stride, and runs good routes. Also blocked well on couple plays.

Buck, hard to believe but I think I agree, which is wild, because after last week's two screw ups, and one which JH warned him about, I would go with Hawkins. Boy he can play , great hand eye coordination, and runs like a greased pig (ie , fast and wiggly). Hall and Collie both dropped passes, easy ones. Everybody else caught passes that were on target. This sure looked a lot different from our passing game just 6 mos ago. Way, way , better.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Marlon Moore. Love Patton, but Moore has started every game and played well. It's time for 49er fans to stop selling him short. He can play.

I think Moore is underrated, he can flat out play. I could see him easily leap-frogging Williams.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 29, 2013 at 11:09 PM ]
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Send in "The General". Patton needs to roll in the heavy artillery.

Armor. Patton's thing was armor. Tanks.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
5280, he might not dress for first few games, but I wouldn't bet on it. The guy is a massive target, catches the ball easily in stride, and runs good routes. Also blocked well on couple plays.

Buck, hard to believe but I think I agree, which is wild, because after last week's two screw ups, and one which JH warned him about, I would go with Hawkins. Boy he can play , great hand eye coordination, and runs like a greased pig (ie , fast and wiggly). Hall and Collie both dropped passes, easy ones. Everybody else caught passes that were on target. This sure looked a lot different from our passing game just 6 mos ago. Way, way , better.

So thats why KC was so eager to trade for Jenkins? because Baldwin was spectacular He doesnt run good routes, and he has allot of trouble catching the ball. I understand the power of positive thinking but this is getting ridiculous lol.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He struggles to get separation, has no double moves, doesn't play as fast as you might expect, not a very good route runner, occasionally he'll get behind a defense like in Chicago last year, but realistically, he's a very limited. He's more or less the same guy who came out of ASU, with all the same issues. Its pretty straightforward, as the season goes on, he'll move down the depth chart. I fully expect him to wind up behind Patton and Moore, and then eventually Manningham and Crabtree.

Rather than people slamming Williams, I see those who are incredibly overrating him. He's simply average, a guy who will make a couple plays for you...and then disappear for whole games at a time.

He's a decent special teams guy, decent deep threat and a quality NFL #4 or #5 WR, nothing more...........and there's nothing wrong with that.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8244d8ce/Williams-8-yard-TD-catch

Looks like a solid double-move to me

I see a guy with good hands, runs smooth routes, is elusive and has above-average speed. We are just different on how we see talent. How about we let him have some time in a passing-oriented offense with someone who can actually get him the ball before we disregard him as a very limited WR.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Marlon Moore. Love Patton, but Moore has started every game and played well. It's time for 49er fans to stop selling him short. He can play.

I think Moore is underrated, he can flat out play. I could see him easily leap-frogging Williams.

Agreed. I would be very happy with a top 3 of Boldin-Moore-Patton.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
I say Marlon Moore, with Patton as the #3, the secret weapon.

Kyle Williams can be cut for all i care.

Seriously, when/if Manningham or Crabs returns, I'd keep Hawkins over Williams. I don't get all the f**king love Williams gets around here, his speed is mediocre (go back and look at that Bears game), was almost invisible in the playoffs, worthless in the Superbowl, and cost us a trip to the SB. s**t bag was supposed to get cut last year, but Harbaugh felt sorry for him.

Williams is a WR that would fit on an Alex Smith era 49ers team, not a Colin Kaepernick era 49ers team.
by week 4 we should have a good idea of who is doing what...Seattle will be a big test to all
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

So your argument is comparing a quarterback who was taken No. 1 over all and was called the best QB prospect since god knows when and saying it was clear that he was better than a backup quarterback who had no business even sniffing the field that year, to a 4th round wide receiver who is well-known among the 49ers fans and the people who love to dissect the draft to a 6th rounder who has infinitely more experience with his starting QB than any other healthy receiver on the team?

I hate you guys for making me argue against my favorite player

Bro, if Kyle Williams is anything but average and mediocre after game 4, you can come back here in throw it in my face.

I see a guy who can't separate unless he gets a step on the DB going straight downfield, otherwise, just like last year he ends up getting taken out of the game completely by coverage. This team certainly hasn't had any lack of need for talented, high-impact WR's, Kyle Williams had PLENTY of opportunities to cowboy the f**k up and make some plays and make a difference and he didn't get it done. He had 7 games with 20 yards or less receiving. In 27 career games he has 35 receptions for 460 yards......or, an average of 1.3 receptions per game.

He's a front-runner that picks up numbers in blowouts but then vanishes during the tough games such as against St Louis and Minnesota last season. When the 49ers are kicking the crap out of a team, he's your boy, he'll pile on, like he did in the Chicago game, but don't count on him being the reason for this team moving the chains.

He's not a rookie or a 2nd year guy who's going to all of a sudden blow up, this is going to be his 4th season in the NFL, I just don't see it, the same weaknesses he had in college, he still has in the NFL. He's not a #2 quality WR by any means and he'll get passed up on the depth chart as a result.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 29, 2013 at 11:21 PM ]
Not sure why Kyle Williams is even in this debate. He's going to have to fend off Hawkins for the #4 spot.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I say Marlon Moore, with Patton as the #3, the secret weapon.

Kyle Williams can be cut for all i care.

Seriously, when/if Manningham or Crabs returns, I'd keep Hawkins over Williams. I don't get all the f**king love Williams gets around here, his speed is mediocre (go back and look at that Bears game), was almost invisible in the playoffs, worthless in the Superbowl, and cost us a trip to the SB. s**t bag was supposed to get cut last year, but Harbaugh felt sorry for him.

Williams is a WR that would fit on an Alex Smith era 49ers team, not a Colin Kaepernick era 49ers team.

It's cause he tore his ACL and missed the rest of the season during the Saints game

Phoenix is the only person who is actually bringing up any valid points. Everyone else is just basing their argument on their outright hate for the guy because of what happened against the Giants in 2011. It's painfully obvious people haven't gotten over what happened 2 years ago.
[ Edited by OregonDuckNiner on Aug 29, 2013 at 11:23 PM ]
Bro, if Kyle Williams is anything but average and mediocre after game 4, you can come back here in throw it in my face.

I see a guy who can't separate for s**t unless he gets a step on the DB going straight downfield, otherwise, just like last year he ends up getting taken out of the game completely by coverage. This team certainly hasn't had any lack of need for talented, high-impact WR's, Kyle Williams had PLENTY of opportunities to cowboy the f**k up and make some plays and make a difference and he didn't get it done. He had 5 games with less than 10 yards receiving.

He's not a rookie or a 2nd year guy who's going to all of a sudden blow up, this is going to be his 4th season in the NFL, I just don't see it, the same weaknesses he had in college, he still has in the NFL.

Lol, #1 rule of the zone... Hate first, hope nobody remembers later. People need to get over the NFCCG, its in the past let it go people. Kaep will make all our receivers look good so hating on any of them is a fools errand.
Not sure why Kyle Williams is even in this debate. He's going to have to fend off Hawkins for the #4 spot.

Hawkins has looked good but dont forget who it was against. Preseason all star doesn't mean regular season stud. A week ago people were saying he was going to get cut...now he is pushing KW out?
Originally posted by 5280High:
Lol, #1 rule of the zone... Hate first, hope nobody remembers later. People need to get over the NFCCG, its in the past let it go people. Kaep will make all our receivers look good so hating on any of them is a fools errand.

The QB cant make everybody look good. Case in point, the guy we just traded.