There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Starter at WR opposite Anquan Boldin?

Starter at WR opposite Anquan Boldin?

Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Look. I hope that Patton is the No. 2 to start the year. He's probably already my favorite player on the roster and I think 800 yards is not that outrageous of a claim. I'm just arguing the fact that Phoenix said it's obvious he's better than KW. You simply can't say that after 1.5 preseason games.

Yeah you can. I've never seen Kyle Williams play like this. He's just got it. The guys who got it are good right away like Patton is.

We've also seen Kyle Williams screw endless number of routes, get caught from behind when he was supposed to have "breakaway" speed, and oh yeah, fumble the Super Bowl away.

The negatives far outweigh the positives in the case of one Kyle Williams.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d824bcb2f/Williams-One-move-gone

Yeah, he's too slow.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Look. I hope that Patton is the No. 2 to start the year. He's probably already my favorite player on the roster and I think 800 yards is not that outrageous of a claim. I'm just arguing the fact that Phoenix said it's obvious he's better than KW. You simply can't say that after 1.5 preseason games.

Yeah you can. I've never seen Kyle Williams play like this. He's just got it. The guys who got it are good right away like Patton is.

We've also seen Kyle Williams screw endless number of routes, get caught from behind when he was supposed to have "breakaway" speed, and oh yeah, fumble the Super Bowl away.

The negatives far outweigh the positives in the case of one Kyle Williams.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d824bcb2f/Williams-One-move-gone

Yeah, he's too slow.

He's referring to the time an all pro corner tackled him after a 45 yard catch I believe...
Originally posted by 5280High:
He's referring to the time an all pro corner tackled him after a 45 yard catch I believe...

Either way, people who dislike KW as a wide out aren't thinking about it objectively. Even if you don't like him, he's not nearly as bad as some people are making him out to be. He's quick, got good hands and is elusive. I'd love to see him work out of the slot in a passing offense, which we haven't even seen from him yet since he got hurt last year right around when Kaep became the starter (I think?)

Either way, people who dislike KW as a wide out aren't thinking about it objectively. Even if you don't like him, he's not nearly as bad as some people are making him out to be. He's quick, got good hands and is elusive. I'd love to see him work out of the slot in a passing offense, which we haven't even seen from him yet since he got hurt last year right around when Kaep became the starter (I think?)

Hey, when people like a player enough, they ride whatever points they can to defend that guy all the way to the end. That's what I see when people talk about Kyle Williams.

Marlon Moore should stay #2. Patton #3 in the slot.
Agree w/SD...Patton's just a natural playmaker. He fits our offense like a glove. Was also impressed w/Hawk tonight...he's got explosiveness both as a receiver and returner. Harbaugh will have quite a few tough decisions to make.

Hey, when people like a player enough, they ride whatever points they can to defend that guy all the way to the end. That's what I see when people talk about Kyle Williams.

Marlon Moore should stay #2. Patton #3 in the slot.

Same with people who dislike a player for losing a very important game. They'll just say he sucks in every aspect of the game and disagree with the people who've moved on and look at him from an objective standpoint.
[ Edited by OregonDuckNiner on Aug 29, 2013 at 10:37 PM ]
I love Kyle. Very good receiver. But Patton and more are just great, and after tonite, Hawkins made the circus catch like I've never seen before, plus 2 good plays last week. But he won't be kept as a WR.

Line 'em up like this and you have a ball busting 5 some.

Baldwin Patton Vance Vernon Boldwin. And for a release valve, hunter of frank out of the back field. That will be the best 5 guys on the LOS since I don't know when. That is the way I would run every play, including goal line stand. Nah I wouldn't do that every play, but when GB and SEA get a glimpse of that, chills will run down their spine....and it will be from fear. You can't double ANY of those guys. Then we have moore, maybe kyle, maybe Hawkins. Much as I disliked Hawkins incredible stupidity and yet another stupidity, he was awesome in that game and I have to admit , here to. Wow, we need for somebody else to go on IR, PUP, unless we have those all used up, and if not, we are close.

Considering our D was all 2nd team virtually all game, they played very well. Noticed no INTs nor knocked down passes until toward end of game, with the INT for TD. First team DBs are going to have to be able to knock down balls or break up passes. Both Dahl and Cox tackled well.

Wow what a bunch of hard choices to make....Stupar, wilhoite, Cam Johnson all should make the cut, but not everybody will....a real shame.
if you're still mad at KW for those punts, you have some serious pathetic issues.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I love Kyle. Very good receiver. But Patton and more are just great, and after tonite, Hawkins made the circus catch like I've never seen before, plus 2 good plays last week. But he won't be kept as a WR.

Line 'em up like this and you have a ball busting 5 some.

Baldwin Patton Vance Vernon Boldwin. And for a release valve, hunter of frank out of the back field. That will be the best 5 guys on the LOS since I don't know when. That is the way I would run every play, including goal line stand. Nah I wouldn't do that every play, but when GB and SEA get a glimpse of that, chills will run down their spine....and it will be from fear. You can't double ANY of those guys. Then we have moore, maybe kyle, maybe Hawkins. Much as I disliked Hawkins incredible stupidity and yet another stupidity, he was awesome in that game and I have to admit , here to. Wow, we need for somebody else to go on IR, PUP, unless we have those all used up, and if not, we are close.

Considering our D was all 2nd team virtually all game, they played very well. Noticed no INTs nor knocked down passes until toward end of game, with the INT for TD. First team DBs are going to have to be able to knock down balls or break up passes. Both Dahl and Cox tackled well.

Wow what a bunch of hard choices to make....Stupar, wilhoite, Cam Johnson all should make the cut, but not everybody will....a real shame.

How is Baldwin apart of the best 5? Thats getting a little sucked into the preseason kneejerkin IMO. He probably wont even dress for the first couple games.

I can and I did................................ The whole preseason thing is meaningless, BRB, Andrew Luck wasn't a more talented quarterback than Drew Stanton because Stanton had "experience." Patton is just abetter and more complete wide receiver, now and going into the future. He's flat-out a better route runner, better at creating separation, better as a run blocker and far more elusive.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 29, 2013 at 10:58 PM ]

He struggles to get separation, has no double moves, doesn't play as fast as you might expect, not a very good route runner, occasionally he'll get behind a defense like in Chicago last year, but realistically, he's a very limited. He's more or less the same guy who came out of ASU, with all the same issues. Its pretty straightforward, as the season goes on, he'll move down the depth chart. I fully expect him to wind up behind Patton and Moore, and then eventually Manningham and Crabtree.

Rather than people slamming Williams, I see those who are incredibly overrating him. He's simply average, a guy who will make a couple plays for you...and then disappear for whole games at a time.

He's a decent special teams guy, decent deep threat and a quality NFL #4 or #5 WR, nothing more...........and there's nothing wrong with that.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM ]
How is Baldwin apart of the best 5? Thats getting a little sucked into the preseason kneejerkin IMO. He probably wont even dress for the first couple games.

IMO, Baldwin hasn't really shown anything special but a few catches. he looks slow out there.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Push Moore to #4... have Patton & Kyle take the #2 & #3 spots.

I would go

Boldin
Patton
Moore
Hawkins
Baldwin

Hawkins has been more productive in the NFL than Williams. He had another good game tonight, and one fabulous play.

Cox looks like a better punt returner than Williams.

James, Hunter, and Hawkins can return kicks.

Williams will be a free agent next year. Developing Baldwin would be a better med-term project.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I can and I did................................ The whole preseason thing is meaningless, BRB, Andrew Luck wasn't a more talented quarterback than Drew Stanton because Stanton had "experience." Patton is just a flat-out better and more complete wide receiver, now and going into the future.

So your argument is comparing a quarterback who was taken No. 1 over all and was called the best QB prospect since god knows when and saying it was clear that he was better than a backup quarterback who had no business even sniffing the field that year, to a 4th round wide receiver who is well-known among the 49ers fans and the people who love to dissect the draft to a 6th rounder who has infinitely more experience with his starting QB than any other healthy receiver on the team?

I hate you guys for making me argue against my favorite player
[ Edited by OregonDuckNiner on Aug 29, 2013 at 11:04 PM ]
Marlon Moore. Love Patton, but Moore has started every game and played well. It's time for 49er fans to stop selling him short. He can play.